Masked Heniochus Butterfly!

DHouse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that most Butterfly Fish are not reef safe but I heard that the Masked Heniochus for the most part is. My question is this. Will the Heniochus it eat a BTA. I have the opportunity to purchase one (Heniochus) at a fantastic price and was going to put it in my mostly FOWLR 125g tank, but I have one beautiful Red Foot Toxic Green BTA in that tank and don't want it eaten. Will the Heniochus eat this BTA?

https://www.marinefishez.com/saltwater-fish/butterflyfish/masked-heniochus-detail

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Most butterflies do not bother anemones. My experience with this fish was that it nipped at corals, etc. (I did not have an anemone at that point). however, nearly every website says Reef safe: No.). I usually take these recommendations with a grain of salt - since I've had fish that were supposedly reef safe that ate everything, and vice versa. It's up to you to decide whether to take the risk.

Depending on how big your anemone is and how big the heniochus is, you could always try it - watching carefully if it's bothering the anemone and removing it if needed.

All of that said - my tendency would be to say 'why risk trouble' - since you will be limited in what you add to the tank invertebrate-wise later, even if it does not bother the anemone.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back