Massive Aptasia proble

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in this exact situation before and this is what I did;
Hit the bigger ones with Aiptasia killer (Whether that be Joes Juice, F Aiptasia, AiptasiaX).
You’ll want to do this several times a week for Atleast a month if not longer. Every time you see an aiptasia, hit it until you’re only left with the babies in the main tank. Once you get to this stage, use your natural predators. This includes;
- Berghia Nudibranchs
- Aiptasia Eating Filefish
- Copperband Butterflies
- Peppermint Shrimp (Lysmata wurdemanni)

If you go the peppermint shrimp route, make sure it is definitely Wurdemanni. If it isn’t Wurdemanni then you will risk your coral and most likely they won’t feed on aiptasia. Berghia Nudibranchs are the only way that will be 100% however they only go for smaller ones unless in a large group (Of which your tank size would be unable to hold). These also get pricey and are harder to come across due to them only eating aiptasia - Often once they decimate the aiptasia issue, they starve to death.

I then also, took a torch and any rock that DID NOT have coral on it, I scorched until the aiptasia was gone. This worked for me and now if I see an aiptasia that worries me, I will hit it with Aiptasia X. I do currently have a couple of young aiptasia however they’re small and as of now don’t worry me.
For the aiptasia I couldn’t get hold of, I got them with a Peppermint Shrimp and they worked just fine for going at the aiptasia.

The reason they spread is due to you MUST cover their disc. No part of the aiptasia should be able to stick out of the aiptasiaX. These will reproduce when stressed so when you take them out of water you must do it fast and you can’t leave them in the water for too long. And when you cover them in the aiptasiaX, if they stick out then they will more than likely be able to reproduce.
Anything that eats aptaisia WILL eat berghia. Never add anything else if you go with berghia.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in this exact situation before and this is what I did;
Hit the bigger ones with Aiptasia killer (Whether that be Joes Juice, F Aiptasia, AiptasiaX).
You’ll want to do this several times a week for Atleast a month if not longer. Every time you see an aiptasia, hit it until you’re only left with the babies in the main tank. Once you get to this stage, use your natural predators. This includes;
- Berghia Nudibranchs
- Aiptasia Eating Filefish
- Copperband Butterflies
- Peppermint Shrimp (Lysmata wurdemanni)

If you go the peppermint shrimp route, make sure it is definitely Wurdemanni. If it isn’t Wurdemanni then you will risk your coral and most likely they won’t feed on aiptasia. Berghia Nudibranchs are the only way that will be 100% however they only go for smaller ones unless in a large group (Of which your tank size would be unable to hold). These also get pricey and are harder to come across due to them only eating aiptasia - Often once they decimate the aiptasia issue, they starve to death.

I then also, took a torch and any rock that DID NOT have coral on it, I scorched until the aiptasia was gone. This worked for me and now if I see an aiptasia that worries me, I will hit it with Aiptasia X. I do currently have a couple of young aiptasia however they’re small and as of now don’t worry me.
For the aiptasia I couldn’t get hold of, I got them with a Peppermint Shrimp and they worked just fine for going at the aiptasia.

The reason they spread is due to you MUST cover their disc. No part of the aiptasia should be able to stick out of the aiptasiaX. These will reproduce when stressed so when you take them out of water you must do it fast and you can’t leave them in the water for too long. And when you cover them in the aiptasiaX, if they stick out then they will more than likely be able to reproduce.
Also use Aptasia RX not Aptasia X. Its a different formula and attacks them much more efficiently so as not to allow for any reproduction.

OP
OP
D

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have preferred vendors for purchasing berghia nudibranch online?
I got it under control using primarily aptasia x. It took 4 bottles of it. I used it every day about 2 syringes per day for 2-3 weeks. It’s still in the tank.

Attachments

• 7498B998-A10D-420F-BC76-59278E7DB347.jpeg
    7498B998-A10D-420F-BC76-59278E7DB347.jpeg
    213.9 KB · Views: 22
  • B01B432E-D5DF-44E9-B4ED-1C78FACC3A3B.jpeg
    B01B432E-D5DF-44E9-B4ED-1C78FACC3A3B.jpeg
    227.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 88CC354B-DEF9-4BF0-905E-B45EA711B6C7.jpeg
    88CC354B-DEF9-4BF0-905E-B45EA711B6C7.jpeg
    215.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 5020018F-24F7-413F-B42E-DB5BC4D80A4B.jpeg
    5020018F-24F7-413F-B42E-DB5BC4D80A4B.jpeg
    258.5 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
D

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have preferred vendors for purchasing berghia nudibranch online?
First picture is what it currently looks like with clean sand from skimmer doing massive nutrient control. :) The aptasia problem was actual a nutrient problem too much nitrate and phosphate elevated their growth. Reducing it helped a ton.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back