Mastertronic Water Testing - Initial Impressions

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I also wanted to add more feedback about the real-world experience with how the Mastertronic has helped in the management of my parameters.

I have not had to make any adjustments to the build elements (All, Ca, Mg)- as it appears that my current dosing is meeting the demands of my system.

It would be unlikely that I would ever have the Mastertronic dictate automatic dosing, as I like being in total control of what is dosed to my tank.

Where I have found the MT has been most useful is with Nutrient Balance (No3 + PO4). I dose Nitrates weekly and it’s been a lot easier to keep these levels within my target range 5-10ppm. Before it was not as clear where my nitrate numbers were- I would either not be testing and dosing enough nitrates and my numbers would bottom out. Now, the Nitrate readings are more accurate and are done automatically each week, it’s overall just easier to manage.

I can say the same for Phosphate-I can see that when I am feeding more, my phosphates go higher (frozen food, reefroids, aminos, etc).

I have noticed within the last 3 weeks that the are slight improvements with the overall colour, health, and polyp extension. These have all improved with fine tuning these nutrients.
I agree, these are wonderful machines and have really allowed my coral to flourish with stable parameters. Definitely expensive machines, but if I add up coral losses over the years from unstable parameters, these machines paid for themselves in a short time.

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I put in my email address to be notified when in stock at all 3 main online vendors. SWA was first to have stock, I immediately purchased all 3.
Did you resell the others or did you need all 3?

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I originally had the Alkatronic and Dosetronic and wanted to try the Trident and DOS. After a year, I missed Focustronic products. They are just at another level compared to competitors. The Alkatronic and Dosetronic combined keep my alkalinity extremely tight. The Mastertronic completes the parameter picture and is a marvel. The build quality of all machines and software(all in one app) are fantastic. Once you get over the price, you will be happy You chose them imo.

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you run into any issues with the app?

Mine has done the tests perfectly with a couple of seemingly app-based issues: 1) it skipped an alkalinity measurement on me - just didn't start a scheduled measurement. No low reagents, no low rodi, nothing. And this morning I discovered that my first calcium measurement is no longer in the database of past measurements.

Anyone run into similar issues?

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes, had some minor glitches mainly after a software update. They were fixed just by a power cycle. The automatic over the air updates are fantastic though.

I love the app and it has been solid for me with one caveat, make sure you stay on the settings page for a minute when changing settings so it registers the change.

Other than that, I absolutely love all 3 machines. Outstanding Tech!

OP
OP
teebone110

teebone110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any calcium test issues I keep getting 561

I can confidently say I am not having any issues, my calcium tests have been spot on. I am using the API reagents.

If your having issues- I would recommend that you post on the Focustronic Users Group on FB. You will likely get a solution to this issue.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can confidently say I am not having any issues, my calcium tests have been spot on. I am using the API reagents.

If your having issues- I would recommend that you post on the Focustronic Users Group on FB. You will likely get a solution to this issue.
It's been a while, how are things working out for you? Looking at purchasing this and was curious as to your most recent thoughts on it.

rocket098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using it regularly and I would recommend it. The app could be better but the machine is great and you can really save time.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed my Mastertronic, Alkatronic and Dosetronic last night. What marvelous inventions Jonas! I can’t express enough how joyous it is to be able to see and interact with my tank parameters away from home. Having the Dosetronic interact with parameters to keep them stable is icing on the cake. I don’t want to go back to manual testing…..ever

D44A95E7-E4CF-4767-A3D7-DE9105201817.jpeg
Whoa great write up thanks! Is all that equipment for that tank in the picture?

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Whoa great write up thanks! Is all that equipment for that tank in the picture?
Thanks Mike! Yes, but I changed equipment since then. I now have the trio monitoring a lagoon 25 paired with a Straton. I also changed from an apex to a hydros system which allows integration with Focustronic.

48588E4A-6B94-483D-866F-AC9A98A43A42.jpeg
4ECC7138-97D9-443E-BE45-59E762BF2490.jpeg
6FC1F432-42EF-4611-AE14-CB25D20D4C83.jpeg

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
As a side note…. yes all that equipment may be overkill for a nano tank, But I made the purchases to cover future upgrades if I decide to.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a side note…. yes all that equipment may be overkill for a nano tank, But I made the purchases to cover future upgrades if I decide to.
Understandable I didn't know of there were multiple tanks, im kinda looking Into automated testing in the near future, its not the cost or availability holding back its my personal technical skills, lol :) but thanks for the information!

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has been running about 8 months now on my coral QT system and I love it.

The only downside is the App is slow as crap and the pumps A,B,C tubing wears out really fast (mine were toast at 280 tests) You need to add some 3d printed bushings to these pumps to make the tube last.

I have a second MT and AK and DT ready to go for my new system.

Getting it setup at first is a PINA but afterwards its a breeze. The app sucks balls but its a new product and they are working on things.

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

The only downside is the App is slow as crap and the pumps A,B,C tubing wears out really fast (mine were toast at 280 tests) You need to add some 3d printed bushings to these pumps to make the tube last.

Getting it setup at first is a PINA but afterwards its a breeze. The app sucks balls but its a new product and they are working on things.
App is definitely slow, which is why I recommend waiting a minute after saving settings so they register. The all-in-one app design, I like a lot. I also love that I get notifications from wherever I’m at telling me my latest readings. These machines aren’t cheap and you have to maintain them frequently to get good readings. Again, I won’t go back to manual testing. I’m going to have to find these bushings you are talking about. Thingiverse?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

App is definitely slow, which is why I recommend waiting a minute after saving settings so they register. The all-in-one app design, I like a lot. I also love that I get notifications from wherever I’m at telling me my latest readings. These machines aren’t cheap and you have to maintain them frequently to get good readings. Again, I won’t go back to manual testing. I’m going to have to find these bushings you are talking about. Thingiverse?

This is all good information! the small issues you all are describing is exactly the things I like to be prepared for and online reviews don't always get into detail like that, so thank you and if you could think of any other bits of information you'd like to share when it was new to you :)

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is all good information! the small issues you all are describing is exactly the things I like to be prepared for and online reviews don't always get into detail like that, so thank you and if you could think of any other bits of information you'd like to share when it was new to you :)

Lots of good info in here.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
teebone110

teebone110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just adding an update, as I have been using my Mastertronic for about 10 months. After some trial and error, I have dialled things in to test all parameters approximately once a week, with exception of Alkalinity which is measured twice a week. So far, my unit has run 314 tests.

I have not changed the hoses, or needles yet, but should likely do so soon according to manufacturer recommendations. So far all parts appear to be holding steady,

I find the parts are not easily accessible from the manufacturer in Canada, but can be ordered online through other sources.

The silicone toppers for the vials have needed to be replaced, especially the one used for the phosphate reagent. It lasted about 6 months. I did source some replacements through Ali-Express, but these are not an exact fit and work alright.

There is regular calibration alerts so at these times I also verify that all parts are working as expected. During this time, I also refill the reagents, do some maintenance, empty waste container, and refill RODI water.

There have been a couple times when I have lost a wifi connection to the unit where I cannot see the recent parameter readings on the app. After unplugging the Mastertronic unit for about 30 seconds, it reboots and the wifi connections restore and communicate all updates with the app. Not a big deal, as this happens rarely.

Focustronic listens to feedback from their Facebook group and is regular adding updates to make the Mastertronic better. Most notably- they added the API Nitrate and the Red Sea Alkalinity tests. This uses less test vial bottles and increases capacity so users can add another test like Iodine.

I have had good luck with the API test kits, these are cheap and are readily available.

Hats off to Focustronic, whenever I have had questions they have always been responsive.

There are also specific YouTube videos posted by the developer,@ReefJonas - Jonas Roman- he provides users with tips about getting the most out of their Mastertronic. You need to search through his uploads, but there is valuable information to be found.

So- I still am very impressed with my Mastertronic and look forward everytime my Mastertronic provides regular test results from my system. So far the most valuable tests have been Alkalinity, Nitrate, and Phosphate. I can really see the nutrient consumption of Nitrate and Phosphate and manage accordingly through dosing and feeding.

The downside is the app is slow and needs improvements, however it works good enough for it’s purpose. The unit is loud and won't win and quiet sound competitions. :)

The results speak for themselves in my 220 gallon sps dominant tank. It has been thriving with rock stable parameters, great growth, polyp extension, and vibrant colours. I sold enough frags over a few months to easily cover the cost of this great piece of technology.

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back