Material for glossy white light mounted canopy

blurry

View Badges
Reaction score
Jordan NY (in-between Rochester and Syracuse)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for advice on material to use for a canopy which will attach to an aquatic life hybrid fixture. Looking to prevent swing the lights while sitting on the couch. For the kessils will make shrouds, looking to wrap the front and sides of the fixture in a gloss white material.

acrylic, polycarbonate? Suggestions? Fixture is 36” long, not sure of the height yet, around 5-6” most likely. I have a table saw blade that can cut plastic and a router to finish the edges :)

Picture of light I’m looking to mount to and a model of the kessil shroud.
!

7F7F0CF2-25D8-4798-9016-B76D30433609.jpeg 3405BDAF-9982-40B3-B222-4428420B9319.jpeg

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use MDF. Paint the bajezzus out of it, but MDF paints up well, is cheap and can be used with the tools you have at hand

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably know this because you have the tools but the edges aren't going to turn out ready to use if you cut it like it is a piece of lumber 2x4 (assuming you are looking for the manufactured / polished look to match your lighting)

Some of the plastics will crack and most of them will melt giving you a not so pleasant looking finish if you're the type to notice that sort of thing

BornHandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a little work in the signage industry, and a few materials come to mind.

First, if you want your canopy to be opaque (blocks all light from passing through), a material called poly-metal is a good choice. Its a plastic core with a pre-painted aluminum skin (almost always in white). Its super light weight, easy to cut / drill, and most any sign shop probably has a bunch of left-overs that would probably work (I know I do).

Second, exterior grade PVC sheets. Its glossy, thicker, and also machines well. With the thicker material, it may look nicer to some taste... It's not as likely to be at as many sign shops though - it's a much less popular material.

Third, if you don't mind the light shining through, a white acrylic is also really popular in sign shops. It's probably the most expensive material I've mentioned, but it's also an option.

The polymetal is in the picture...it also goes by maxmetal...

20191229_194502.jpg 20191229_194535.jpg

BornHandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a little work in the signage industry, and a few materials come to mind.

First, if you want your canopy to be opaque (blocks all light from passing through), a material called poly-metal is a good choice. Its a plastic core with a pre-painted aluminum skin (almost always in white). Its super light weight, easy to cut / drill, and most any sign shop probably has a bunch of left-overs that would probably work (I know I do).

Second, exterior grade PVC sheets. Its glossy, thicker, and also machines well. With the thicker material, it may look nicer to some taste... It's not as likely to be at as many sign shops though - it's a much less popular material.

Third, if you don't mind the light shining through, a white acrylic is also really popular in sign shops. It's probably the most expensive material I've mentioned, but it's also an option.

The polymetal is in the picture...it also goes by maxmetal...

20191229_194502.jpg 20191229_194535.jpg
I also made a reflector out of it. It comes in mirror finish too! Convenient for a canopy, right?

20191229_195303.jpg

OP
OP
B

blurry

View Badges
Reaction score
Jordan NY (in-between Rochester and Syracuse)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, awesome responses! I’ll do a little reading tomorrow, that polymetal sounds like a perfect fit.

On the MDF, the weight is concerning, as is the moisture soaking in even if I spray it with sealing primer and latex. Being able to use woodworking tools is nice. Thought about 1/4” ply, too much of a hassle to keep flat.

As for the acrylic I’ve used a plastic cutting blad on the table saw and a router to shape the edge along with some polishing - don’t mind the effort, if there is something better I would rather go that route.

BornHandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polymetal cuts beautifully with spiral router bits and standard saw blades. It also lends itself to bending nicely (if you wanted a curved piece). I hope you can find someone that will sell you the scraps on the cheap, or maybe even give you some.

Post a pic of whatever you end up doing. I always enjoy seeing other people's tanks.

Good luck!

blazerino

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever work out a design for this? I am trying to do the exact same thing with my 36" aquatic life hybrid.

I have a 2 year old son and need to shield the lights so he cant see them directly from his height.

I found this thread with a super nice looking acrylic hood for an ati fixture that looks like it would also work for the aquatic life hybrid, but I don't have any experience working with acrylic and am worried I would mess it up and waste a lot of expensive acrylic.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/best-clean-way-to-block-light.146075/

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 41 26.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 34 21.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 40 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back