Material thickness for (FW) aquarium

seanarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am under no circumstances currently beginning this project right now. This is just musing and asking questions for a future possible project.

I am wanting to build a custom freshwater aquarium for my goldfish in the future. The dimensions of this tank would be:
-- Width (side-to-side): 51.5 inches
-- Height (top-to-bottom): 45 inches
-- Depth (front-to-back): 29 inches

---- 290.9 US gallons (if the calculator I used was correct)

I want to know - what would be the thickness of the material I should use, and what material would be the best?

I would prefer steering away from glass but I am not opposed to using glass, especially considering the size of the tank and the strength that may be needed. I would like to have a bottom rim, a top rim, a bottom brace, internal corner braces (not seen, under the rims preferably) and outside corner guards. Is there a way to make these?

I plan on putting in an internal sump (similar to AIO builds) on the side (because if it was in the back, it'd be nigh-impossible to service) and hiding that on the outside by painting the outside material or adding a removable "door" (on the outside, just so that it can be seen into). I may be able to get away with making baskets with hooks or handles for the filter media, so that are easy to grab and pull out to change or wash. It'd be best if they were top handles, I imagine, because I'd have to pull the baskets straight up; hopefully, in some way, I could make it so that the baskets would stay connected until manually disconnected from each other. I could theoretically put a lid over this (with air ventilation) so that it's relatively hidden most of the time save for servicing.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Joe Glass Cages - any thoughts about how to proceed with the idea listed above?

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am under no circumstances currently beginning this project right now. This is just musing and asking questions for a future possible project.

I am wanting to build a custom freshwater aquarium for my goldfish in the future. The dimensions of this tank would be:
-- Width (side-to-side): 51.5 inches
-- Height (top-to-bottom): 45 inches
-- Depth (front-to-back): 29 inches

---- 290.9 US gallons (if the calculator I used was correct)

I want to know - what would be the thickness of the material I should use, and what material would be the best?

I would prefer steering away from glass but I am not opposed to using glass, especially considering the size of the tank and the strength that may be needed. I would like to have a bottom rim, a top rim, a bottom brace, internal corner braces (not seen, under the rims preferably) and outside corner guards. Is there a way to make these?

I plan on putting in an internal sump (similar to AIO builds) on the side (because if it was in the back, it'd be nigh-impossible to service) and hiding that on the outside by painting the outside material or adding a removable "door" (on the outside, just so that it can be seen into). I may be able to get away with making baskets with hooks or handles for the filter media, so that are easy to grab and pull out to change or wash. It'd be best if they were top handles, I imagine, because I'd have to pull the baskets straight up; hopefully, in some way, I could make it so that the baskets would stay connected until manually disconnected from each other. I could theoretically put a lid over this (with air ventilation) so that it's relatively hidden most of the time save for servicing.
To start this:
Your tank in glass would use 1" glass for the sides and fronts.
1.6" glass for the bottom.
Using normally accepted safety values.
Glass only weighs approx. 840 lbs
Filled w/ water 3285 lbs .

Your height really is the driver for the glass thickness
@3ft deep:
0.68" sides 1" bottom with a slightly reduced safety factor of 3 not 3.8
800 lbs lighter

All ESTIMATES and not considering any bracing.

Sorry no idea about the thickness of cell cast acrylic but here is a calc.

Your bracing seems overly complicated.
Not saying it is wrong or bad though.

Above estimates were for no bracing
Eurobracing it is probably the easiest option. Will increase safety factor as well.

OP
OP
seanarino

seanarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Peace River

for sure we can do something like this in Acrylic or Glass. probably much easier to talk this one through @seanarino

Let me know if you are open to a discussion by phone.
I apologize, it's extremely hard for me to talk on the phone. i wouldn't be able to. :(

OP
OP
seanarino

seanarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To start this:
Your tank in glass would use 1" glass for the sides and fronts.
1.6" glass for the bottom.
Using normally accepted safety values.
Glass only weighs approx. 840 lbs
Filled w/ water 3285 lbs .

Your height really is the driver for the glass thickness
@3ft deep:
0.68" sides 1" bottom with a slightly reduced safety factor of 3 not 3.8
800 lbs lighter

All ESTIMATES and not considering any bracing.

Sorry no idea about the thickness of cell cast acrylic but here is a calc.

Your bracing seems overly complicated.
Not saying it is wrong or bad though.

Above estimates were for no bracing
Eurobracing it is probably the easiest option. Will increase safety factor as well.
I could do 3 feet (36 inches) as a height, yeah. That's still 232~ gallons. I could possibly go with glass... Acrylic is ridiculous.
My bracing does seem a little ridiculous but I'm overly paranoid about failures LOL. My old Oceanic already has a chip in the corner (harmless chip) from bumping into it with things so I'd rather protect the corners as well as the upper and lower rims.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could do 3 feet (36 inches) as a height, yeah. That's still 232~ gallons. I could possibly go with glass... Acrylic is ridiculous.
My bracing does seem a little ridiculous but I'm overly paranoid about failures LOL. My old Oceanic already has a chip in the corner (harmless chip) from bumping into it with things so I'd rather protect the corners as well as the upper and lower rims.
Well if you don't make it as a structural component stuff like this bay work .
I would still def eurobrace the top

OP
OP
seanarino

seanarino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you don't make it as a structural component stuff like this bay work .
I would still def eurobrace the top
I was thinking of doing something like this - less 'corner braces' and more 'corner guards' - I just didn't have the right words for it at the time. I'll try and figure out a design for eurobracing at the top that isn't unsightly for me!

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 24 16.0%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 63 42.0%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 14.7%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 34 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 4.7%
Back