Matt’s 24gal jbj nano cube

Mattman1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife surprised me with a 24 gal jbj nano cube she picked up dirt cheap on letgo app after I said something about downsizing to a nano after our recent move and lost of a few fish and coral, that with my new job I don’t have a lot of time to spend during the week in the tank so looking to build a easy low maintenance nano tank. At the moment I have Saturdays and Sunday's off so really all I need to do is last 5 days on auto pilot.

The tank is in good shape the stand not so good. No access to the inside of the stand so a new stand is in order.

Flow will be a mp10 maybe a second one later.

Return pump is a cobalt mini mj pump think it’s about 160gph.

Looking for a way to add filter floss in the first compartment. Maybe a mini reactor for carbon and gfo.

Lights is where I’m having issues want leds but can’t break off that much for Steve’s led upgrade and don’t have the time to dyi leds. So might try the stock cfl bulbs and see what the par is. There’s 2 33watt bulbs so it might be plenty for my softie with a few lps tank.

3245B3BA-CB9E-480C-8E4D-579BFFE8925B.jpeg

Thanks for listening to my jibber jabber
Matt

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats.

The stock lighting is fine for soft corals. Great easy AIO tanks.

OP
OP
Mattman1977

Mattman1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update. Got the stand built, I still want to add some trim to dress it up. It’s solid as can be that’s for sure.
53EE891E-B725-4884-9A69-0A2B63C47E0D.png

No where close to being done. Adding some gfci plugs in the stand after the conversation on here earlier today. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/to-gfci-or-not-to-gfci.642496/
Wondering if I’ll need a ato or not being there will be little to no where for the water to evaporate. Oh well I’ll have to wait and see.

Happy reefing
Matt

vanisher187

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ita a fun little tank. I have one slowly changed everything in it. I am the opposite started with this tank, now want to go bigger.

OP
OP
Mattman1977

Mattman1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had more time I would definitely setup a larger tank but work has me way to busy and it would definitely get neglected.

So gutted the hood completely and installed a AI hydra 26, why because I had one laying around. Way overkill for sure. I’ve started cutting a section out of the splash guard to add some light deflector to it. The splash guard had some yellowing and didn’t want that showing through and the led will be almost right on top of the water so had to do something. I will be adding some fans to the hood to help with cooling also drilled some vent holes above the Hydra26 in the hood so shouldn’t get to hot in there.

bleached bath the rocks for a week also, drained it Sunday and dried the bottom out with a towel and before bed there was a inch of water in the bottom that had drained from the rocks. I’m in no hurry I’ll let it drain completely and dry out.

toying the idea of doing a auto water change of a 1/4-1/2 gal a day. Could easily run hoses outside into the garage. We will see. That will involve a apex and dos so I can turn off the ato and return pump while doing it. Think it would definitely make it more stable.

Matt
85115F7A-B856-4AC5-A307-CFDBAA0EC07C.jpeg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back