OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please test your magnesium level first. Without magnesium calcium and alk will precipitate out of solution. Also there is a see=saw effect between calcium and alkalinity. If one is high the other will be low. Try reducing your calcium level and see if that helps your alk level to increase.
I found my Mag test today, I will try and get one done tomorrow.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please test your magnesium level first. Without magnesium calcium and alk will precipitate out of solution. Also there is a see=saw effect between calcium and alkalinity. If one is high the other will be low. Try reducing your calcium level and see if that helps your alk level to increase.
I tested the magnesium to day, its at 1440. The alk is a starting to stabilize. I cleaned and re calibrated my ph prob, my rang is now between 7.67 and 7.95. I was hoping it would come up to 8 but that's alright, when I get the kalk reactor in place it will take care of that for me. Just looking at the tank to day, it seems a lot more mature. I hoping it is getting close to growing corals.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not posted pics in a while.
IMG_0853.jpg
IMG_0855.jpg
IMG_0857.jpg

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I see that full tank shot, I am amazed by the amount of light.
I hope the tank will soon find his sweet and stable spot.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I come to the conclusion that Tropic Marin is leaving the residue in the mixing container. The only reason I use TM is that I thought it was free of the nasty residue, so now I'm thinking about switching to reef crystals.
1625678660929.png

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd clean the bin out a few times over the next couple of months first and see if things clear up before making that decision.
I was researching it today, and I saw where other people who have been in the hobby for 30+ years were having the same problem with TM. I don't see the point in paying double the price for it just to have the same problem. In fact several them stated in their experience RC is cleaner. I already took that container out cleaned it thoroughly and then just used TM, and the residue is back again, after one bucket. I think i'm going to be stuck with the nasty residue no matter what, so I'm going to put a filter on my feed line to the tank. So hopefully it will take out all the brown stuff before it gets into the tank.

On a seperate note, for some reason my phosphates are back at 0. I feed really heavy, no GFO, no refugium, and I only clean out filter socks once every couple of weeks. In my mind my phosphates should be really high. I guess i need to put my skimmer on a schedule.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank boss possibly. The Achillies for the most part keeps his distance. He tried a couple of attempts but I think the purple tang put him in his place.
IMG_0858.jpg

He came in a little smaller than I thought he would, but he hangs out near the purple tang. I'm guessing for protection.
IMG_0860.jpg

I also put the mirror back up to help distract the other fish.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a seperate note, for some reason my phosphates are back at 0. I feed really heavy, no GFO, no refugium, and I only clean out filter socks once every couple of weeks. In my mind my phosphates should be really high. I guess i need to put my skimmer on a schedule.

I'm guessing your newish rocks are absorbing phosphate. Once they reach full load you'll probably start seeing readings again.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got three new corals in the tank, and my new Sail fin tang decided to take a bite of glue. I tried everything i could think of to catch him but was unsuccessful. I just hope he is able to work it out.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got three new corals in the tank, and my new Sail fin tang decided to take a bite of glue. I tried everything i could think of to catch him but was unsuccessful. I just hope he is able to work it out.
Good news, the fish already got the glue out its mouth and is eating as normal.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today for the first time ever, i put in nori as I normally do. I was expecting the fish to ignore it, but the didn't I had a feeding frenzy. They have never shown that much interest in the nori.
Yesterday I dosed 15ml of NeoPhos since the tank tested at zero. that brought it up to .05. I tested again today and it was back at 0. So I dosed it again. I also ordered some ChemiClean. I'm hoping it really cleans up the tank. I promise one of these day's I will post a picture of the new coral. I'm sorry I keep forgetting to take the pictures.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having to dose phosphate every day. Every afternoon I test and the level is at 0, and then I dose to bring it up to .05 - .06, and the next day it's back at 0. I'm about to set it up on a DOS.

Last edited:

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do that, make sure you continue regular testing. Because at some point, the level in the rock will saturate and then your available level will suddenly shoot up quickly. It could end up quickly rising in availability in the water and then you'll be swamped in gha.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do that, make sure you continue regular testing. Because at some point, the level in the rock will saturate and then your available level will suddenly shoot up quickly. It could end up quickly rising in availability in the water and then you'll be swamped in gha.
If my tank doesn't have GHA I don't know how I would recognize it. LOL

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back