OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read your thread and I feel the pain of moving. I moved 3+ years ago and set up a temporary 120g system u til I built a new tank. 2 crashes later because I never automated the tank as it was “Temporary” and a trip to WCC last month and me and the wife have decided to buy the same tank you have. What overflow option did you go with and what are your overall thought on the tank. About to order and pay for mine this weekend so feedback on anything you would have had them change would be great. ~ Len

I got the external overflow because I never liked the look of internal overflows, not to mention that they are always in the way. I love my tank; I just wish I had bought a bigger one. The main thing I struggle with is flow. Right now, I use 2 MP60s. However, the wet sides keep breaking, and they are 180 every time I replace them.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get yourself a stud finder so you know where to avoid cutting in. Drill a hole into the drywall going just through and large enough to insert a keyhole camera and have a look around inside to make sure you aren't going to hit studs, wires or pipes.

Then a jigsaw to cut the hole you want. If you are going through the other side, start with a drill hole from the inside, after checking it's all clear on the other side. Once you've drilled from the inside, you can go around the outside to use the jigsaw to cut the hole.

Not as much work to do as it is to read or write about it!
Luckily, I have already removed all the sheetrock from the garage side, so I know there is nothing in the way. I think the main thing is the mess it will create and the reaction from the wife. She is very supportive until it makes a mess in the house. LOL, I think I'm going to try and start this weekend. I really want to be able to see the new fish; right now, everything is out of sight and out of mind, never a good thing in the world of reef tanks.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is starting to get covered in coralline algae, which I'm happy about; for a while, there was no Coraline algae after the move.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have purchased Neptune equipment and have mostly been satisfied with my purchases. However, recently, I bought an MXM module, and I must say, it's the best product they have ever released. For over a year, I have struggled to get my lights to work on the same schedule without randomly turning off, which forced me to factory reset them multiple times. But, once I added them to the MXM module, all these problems vanished. This module also helped me solve other issues I had with different equipment pieces.
Here is a quick video I took of the tank. It is certainly nothing spectacular, but the tank is making progress from the move. You can clearly see all the Aptasia's(Thanks, reef cleaners)

Attachments

• IMG_0449.MOV
    57 MB
OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As seen in the video above, the aptasias in my aquarium have grown out of control. Despite the presence of a copperband, they seem to be multiplying too quickly. I am considering ordering some peppermint shrimp or Berghia Nudibranchs to help control the population. Can you provide any recommendations?

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As seen in the video above, the aptasias in my aquarium have grown out of control. Despite the presence of a copperband, they seem to be multiplying too quickly. I am considering ordering some peppermint shrimp or Berghia Nudibranchs to help control the population. Can you provide any recommendations?

Also look into an Australian Stripey. A peaceful fish with lots of character

This, just make sure to choose small ones as they stop eating them as they age. At some point later they would need removing as they will pick at corals once aiptasia are gone.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing some reading on Australian Stripeys and found that they mainly pick on LPS coral, and I don't have any LPS corals. Also, I found that if they are fed well, they will not eat LPS coral; it's only when the food runs out in their minds. I tend to feed a lot, and I love the idea of getting another fish rather than something else like Berghia Nudibranchs that will most likely just die when the aptasia are gone.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing some reading on Australian Stripeys and found that they mainly pick on LPS coral, and I don't have any LPS corals. Also, I found that if they are fed well, they will not eat LPS coral; it's only when the food runs out in their minds. I tend to feed a lot, and I love the idea of getting another fish rather than something else like Berghia Nudibranchs that will most likely just die when the aptasia are gone.

Just be aware that stripeys can't get aiptasia out of holes in the rock due to their mouth shape. They will definitely pick off the rest though.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was scrubbing some Aptasia's off my clam when I noticed this blueish-gray jelly-like substance by the foot. Has anyone seen this before?

IMG_0450.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back