OP
matthew17

matthew17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a custom stand with some 2x4s and maple hardwood and just got the tank up and running. Now it is time for cycling!

Equipment-

Fluval Evo 13.5 AIO
Hydor Koralia Nano 240 (but I think I am going to switch to the 425 and use the 240 for mixing saltwater)
Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm 75W
Coralife Digital Thermometer
Aquatic Life Twist-In 4 stage compact RODI system

Aquarium additions-

CaribSea Arag-Alive Western Caribbean Reef substrate
CaribSea South Seas Base Rock
Red Sea Coral Pro Salt + RODI water

OP
OP
matthew17

matthew17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the first pics!
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG
10.JPG

OP
OP
matthew17

matthew17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on day 6 of the Red Sea Mature Pro kit program and my ammonia is reading 0.2ppm, nitrite is reading 1ppm, and nitrate is reading 50ppm. The nitrite and nitrate levels seem pretty high. I just put in a few small pieces of live rock from my lfs a few days ago to try to help with the bacterial population. Does anyone know if this seems normal/ok?

Tomorrow is my first scheduled water change which should help with those levels.

sheepdog76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am on day 6 of the Red Sea Mature Pro kit program and my ammonia is reading 0.2ppm, nitrite is reading 1ppm, and nitrate is reading 50ppm. The nitrite and nitrate levels seem pretty high. I just put in a few small pieces of live rock from my lfs a few days ago to try to help with the bacterial population. Does anyone know if this seems normal/ok?

Tomorrow is my first scheduled water change which should help with those levels.

Could be normal with the cycle. Could also be the test kit. I have this same tank for one of my nano's. It wasn't long before I removed the hood and changed my light to an AI prime hd and the filter I went with the intank set up right from the start. The light in the hood I found didn't agree with my coral since changing the light I'm getting all kinds of growth. Also the stock light built up tons of algae since it's so close to the surface I'm guessing and you can't dim it.

OP
OP
matthew17

matthew17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been considering the AI prime hd - how high do you have it mounted above the surface of the water? and did you go with the first or second chamber intank piece?

Sobo's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank and I have my AI Prime mounted about 10-11" above the water. I also have the 2nd chamber InTank media basket in there

sheepdog76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we had just moved recently so my evo is just restarting. I decided to go with upgraded everything on this build. It has a smart ATO,2x seneye( 1 in tank,1 in filter area),AI HD,Digital titanium 100W heater,Ecotech mp10.I have the AI on the goose neck about 12in above the water. It is more then enough light so I don't have it on full for long at all. Infact my Maxima clam has decided it is more light then it wanted and moved to a shady spot which I never knew they would do. With the hood gone you get much better air flow helping to keep PH stable. However as a side note I did have to use a piece of grate to put on top since my cat loves to go fishing :/ The INTank I decided on the first chamber because it also come with the piece to block the flow coming in. I used these on my bio cube 29 also and love them. Second chamber is bigger so it is better for a refugium area or skimmer. Right now my second chamber has bio media but if I do go with a skimmer I will be putting it there.

IMG_2294.JPG

OP
OP
matthew17

matthew17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing a lot of research on skimmers too. I know a lot of people say that with this size tank you can get away pretty easily with water changes but it seems if you have a skimmer that actually does a good job it just makes maintenance and keeping water parameters stable that much easier. It is hard to find a nano skimmer that will fit into the evo. The IM ghost desktop should work in the second chamber or the first with some modification to the plastic fin on the back of the partition if I can get confirmation that it does a good job. The other option I am considering is the aquamaxx hob 1.5

sheepdog76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a skimmer on mine but never used it after my tank got through the cycle period. I just took it off cause it was taking up space. I do water changes every 1-2 weeks depending on what my numbers are. My fish bio load is super small though only have two blue damsels. Also I have a large clean up crew so there is very little for me to clean. If you do go with a skimmer the IM is a great one but from my experience with these all in one tank I would say go with the second chamber on the Evo because with the skimmer cramping up the first chamber you will get much less flow due to the blockage.

OP
OP
matthew17

matthew17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am at day 16 of the Red Sea Reef Mature Pro program and levels are looking pretty good - I am thinking it may take a little longer to fully cycle because I started with mostly dead rock. I went ahead and did two water changes two days in a row and that really helped the Nitrate levels (down to 3ppm from 50ppm). I also decided to go ahead and update the light to the AI prime HD and also get the Aquamaxx HOB-1.5 skimmer. I generally tend to over-engineer things:) I also built a matching custom cover to hide the skimmer and mount the light.

OP
OP
matthew17

matthew17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting some bright green algae. I think this is a good sign?? I modified the skimmer plumbing so it intakes from the first chamber and outputs into the second chamber. I think when I am finished cycling, I will add some filter floss around some chemi-pure blue at the bottom of the second chamber.

OP
OP
matthew17

matthew17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycling has finished and I have had very stable water parameters the last two weeks. I have added some livestock now in stages, including an emerald crab, coral banded shrimp, various snails, hermit crab, and a yellow-tail damsel. I will post some pics below. Looking at adding a couple more fish over the next few weeks as well as some beginner corals.

sheepdog76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha slow down...... Be very mindful adding fish your two damsels is more then enough for a nano. You have to remember a few things 1) Your damsel grow to around 3 inches and if you go by the old stocking rule for salt (1in fish per 10gal) you are over stocked now.2) Damsels are very territorial and in a small tank you need lots of hidding spaces to keep the both of them happy.3) the EVO 13.5 filter can Not handle big bio loads.
With that said I'm happy to hear it's starting to work out for you.

OP
OP
matthew17

matthew17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have one damsel now. I will probably add a small Ocellaris clown and maybe one more - and do this over a period of a few weeks so that I can continue monitoring water parameters. There are plenty of hiding spots in the rock and I do have a protein skimmer rated for a 60 to 90 gallon tank. I also do weekly water changes.

Anyone have a suggestion on the possible third fish?

OP
OP
matthew17

matthew17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we had just moved recently so my evo is just restarting. I decided to go with upgraded everything on this build. It has a smart ATO,2x seneye( 1 in tank,1 in filter area),AI HD,Digital titanium 100W heater,Ecotech mp10.I have the AI on the goose neck about 12in above the water. It is more then enough light so I don't have it on full for long at all. Infact my Maxima clam has decided it is more light then it wanted and moved to a shady spot which I never knew they would do. With the hood gone you get much better air flow helping to keep PH stable. However as a side note I did have to use a piece of grate to put on top since my cat loves to go fishing :/ The INTank I decided on the first chamber because it also come with the piece to block the flow coming in. I used these on my bio cube 29 also and love them. Second chamber is bigger so it is better for a refugium area or skimmer. Right now my second chamber has bio media but if I do go with a skimmer I will be putting it there.

IMG_2294.JPG

Do you have any complaints with your smart ATO? Also what are your opinions on the Seneye monitors? Those look very interesting!

sheepdog76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have one damsel now. I will probably add a small Ocellaris clown and maybe one more - and do this over a period of a few weeks so that I can continue monitoring water parameters. There are plenty of hiding spots in the rock and I do have a protein skimmer rated for a 60 to 90 gallon tank. I also do weekly water changes.

Anyone have a suggestion on the possible third fish?

Sorry I thought you still had one then added one. I have two blue devils and they are doing great each one has claimed a side as their area. I did have a clown but it fell victim to our cat. Since then I have put a screen over the top.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 31 40.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 39 51.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 7.9%
Back