Matts JBJ 45 build

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I've been a troll around here for a long time but I'm tearing down my 90 and starting a new build so I thought this would be a great time to become a contributor to the site.

My new JBJ 45 Rimless just arrived and this is the official start of the build. If anyone else has any input on this particular tank please let me know. I'm not sure what light I will use and I know I will be changing out the stock pumps for 1 better quality pump. I'm also not sure if I want to try the Gyres in this tank or something else.

What are you guys thoughts?

I currently have a 90 gallon with 2 radion gen 1's and a pair of maxspect Gyre XF 230's. Should I carry over one light and Gyre or is that just to much for this tank?

All of my rock and corals will be carry over from my 90 but I'm going to select a few of my favorite nicer pieces and then sell off the rest I think..... or at least that's the intentions lol.

Any way here's the new baby fresh from the stork!

764e9f748df42a4c589cced924284989.jpg
b684c169e0102a1f45124d0601223412.jpg
c1c9c964d43e35bc78c9338e5467b1c9.jpg

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as I looked online I have seen a couple of posts where folks have had this tank crack on them. Looks like the earlier models were thinner glass. Mine has a build date of June 2016 looks like most of the info I found was older than this build date. Anyone know if that was a significant issue or just a few incidents or should I be really concerned enough to sell it and get a biocube?

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I googled several different ways and could only find a few incidents but it was still enough to concern me.

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tomorrow is the big day, hopefully. Looks like for the time being I'm going to run 1 gen1 Radion XR30 with rms mount, 1 Gyre XF230 on the rear wall, the stock media baskets with filter floss up top and thinking about trying the pond matrix in there as well, tunze 9004 or Hydor Slim skim skimmer which ever I find first probably.

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tank is up and running. Turns out the Gyre XF230 is a little much......Any suggesting on a power head? I don't really want an MP10. Evacuee I didn't eat anything in the sides. I put the Gyre on the rear wall just under the return nozzles and it digs a trench in the front at the lowest setting.

This is not a final scape this is just rock tossed in to keep it wet.

bb3cce7fb8ec0e6dd4a5025ec3c6c750.jpg

25d6ce8133d56adac5b269189438724a.jpg

Peter Hand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(2) Jebao PP-4 would be great ! I am assuming you have seen CJSAQUARIUM 45 JBJ on youtube right? His videos will help out big time for your build

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have. Learned about the pond matrix and tunze 9004 from him. Both I plan to run. One of his videos I saw he switch to the Gyre and like it but to me it's a little to much. Maybe after I get my rock situated and corals in there it will change. I was just looking at the new Aqamai line of punks from Hydor though. May try one of those guys out.

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run the gyre on the side. I actually run 2 13's in my jbj 45, one horizontal on the top left and one vertical back right. I only let them get 30-40% max but I get great flow no dead spots.
If you have 2 radions already, maybe consider both perpendicular to eliminate shading. I run a 180 watt razor with 2 t5s.
For the filter compartment I have 2 intank baskets, polyfilter pads with reg floss on top for both. The left side is full of marinepure, the right I made a cheato fuge with an led grow light. I have a jebao return in the middle and run a bag of chemipure blue.

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was really trying to avoid placing a pump on the side of the tank. I know that's probably silly because that's the way things normally work BUT man I hate seeing equipment and with a sleek tank like this it really bugs me even more.

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is up and running with a temporary light and heater. Everyone is thoroughly ticked off with the move, hopefully they will settle in soon without to much of an issue.

For flow I decided to try the new Aqamai KPS, one of the return pumps is really loud so I made a single line with a split and am only running one return pump at the moment. I will probably run it like that with a single sicce 1.5 or maybe a 2.0 and then 2 spin stream or Hydor flos.

If I can't pic up the gen 4 Radion in the sale forum then I'm going to order a Hydra HD with the flex arm for my lighting.
e4dac8e5506009912c3eb96b80b997d2.jpg

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Box of goodies arrived today, still waiting for my hydra 26, flex mount, heater, smart ato micro and pond matrix to arrive
4f2c33d5f4d95a7d9c91fc28205858c7.jpg

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These Aqamai pumps are tiny! Not sure if that's enough flow or not yet but I figured 2100gph plus the sicce 1.5 return pump would be fine

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking pretty good thus far. What did you go with for the ATO.

Will be curious to see how you like the pumps.

I use an mp10 and a tunze nano stream, Smart ATO (fantastic buy) and a Hydra 52, with the Tunze 9001 Doc on my 45 gallon.

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All equipment is either here or on its way.

I went with Smart ATO Micro, never had one before but people rave about them and it is a tiny little thing. I hope the pump can push the water high enough.

Return is a single sicce 1.5 with two Hydor Flo's but the jury is out on the Flo's, I like them but pretty sure they cut flow quite a bit.

The Aqamai pumps are great, very easy to set up and the app is very simple. They are TINY dc controllable gen 3 koralias all day long. Very wide gentle flow. I wanted a MP10 QD but was afraid of noise after trying multiple vortech pumps before and never being able to find one that didn't annoy the tick out of me I didn't want to spend the money and have the same result. Plus I really did not want a pump in the side of the tank. Tried my Gyre XF230 but it was just to much and dig sand even on the lowest setting.

Skimmer is 9004 not the (dc version)

For lighting I went Hydra 26 HD with the flex mount. That's what Red Sea uses on their similar sized tanks and what every one was recommending so, fingers crossed.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was worried about the pump for the Smart ATO, I have the stock stand that goes with this tank, the ATO container in on the bottom shelf and the pumps does just fine.

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I was worried I would have to rig up one of the stock jbj pumps lol, those pumps seem like crap btw. One sounded like it was grinding rocks no matter what I did, the other was dead silent but after a few days started making a light grinding noise as well

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp ran into a bump, I wanted to run one of the hydras with the flex mount. I was test fitting the mount yesterday and found that it will completely block me access to the skimmer cup. So looks like im either going to have to run a different lighting set up or move the skimmer to one of the over flow chambers which I didn't want to do.

If I could fine one of the 6061 mounts that aren't made anymore this would not be an issue!

would you guys run 2 primes instead and leave the skimmer or move the skimmer and run the hydra 26.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the mount/slide?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back