Matts JBJ 45 build

OrokuSaki84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I HATE hang on equipment so my vote is for the tunze. So far it's been good. The last nano skimmers I had were a long time ago so can't really give you a comparison. It's also only a few weeks old and I just got it dialed in to what I want so time will tell but as of this time I would recommend it.

I agree, more noise, something else that can potentially fail and dump water everywhere haha. I have a HOB reactor and I don't want to add any more than that. Thanks for the honest feedback!

Also GREAT looking tank! Everything from the stand to the corals is top notch! Super clean.

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, more noise, something else that can potentially fail and dump water everywhere haha. I have a HOB reactor and I don't want to add any more than that. Thanks for the honest feedback!

Also GREAT looking tank! Everything from the stand to the corals is top notch! Super clean.

Thanks a lot. I am in the process of having a small lid made for the rear chambers to finish off that clean look by hiding the cords and equipment .

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are adjusting well. The only thing that's acting a little strange is the outer space Psammocora which was looking awesome but is now turning a different color??? and my green goblin Anacropora finally bit the dust. Which is a shame, I really liked that coral. I will get another.

I just did a water change and added the Grandis Palys, a yellow leather and some of the metallic green gsp today. The Grandis opened immediately but I'm still waiting on the leather and GSP to settle in.

14ba9090d3f7792202af2b5873b44a39.jpg
284874b97008930c18bc256202fd24b9.jpg

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also decided to live the skimmer to the right over flow chamber to see how it did there. I was hesitant because of loosing the 2nd filter pad and media basket but we will see how it does.

Jdurm55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also decided to live the skimmer to the right over flow chamber to see how it did there. I was hesitant because of loosing the 2nd filter pad and media basket but we will see how it does.
i have my skimmer in my right overflow chamber with a intank media basket in the other and everything seems to be doing great. i also put a little polyfill behind the overflow on the right side to catch some smaller particles before it goes to the skimmer.

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have my skimmer in my right overflow chamber with a intank media basket in the other and everything seems to be doing great. i also put a little polyfill behind the overflow on the right side to catch some smaller particles before it goes to the skimmer.

That's what my plan was to eventually run. I'm a little tight on funds at the moment so maybe in a few weeks after I've recovered from the truck purchase I'll order the intank.

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. I have a JBJ 45 too; I am so glad that you didn't go with the RO HOB skimmer like I did. It is extremely loud, leaks onto the floor through the side of the collection cup, and Is unsightly. I have sold it and I am awaiting my tunze skimmer.

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along. I have a JBJ 45 too; I am so glad that you didn't go with the RO HOB skimmer like I did. It is extremely loud, leaks onto the floor through the side of the collection cup, and Is unsightly. I have sold it and I am awaiting my tunze skimmer.

You won't be disappointed. Did you go with the 9004 or 9001?

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a lighter color tea like with a thick coating on the neck. That said it seem to be just getting broke in so the best advise I can give is be patient with it and the adjustments are touchy but once you get it dialed in [emoji106]

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a lighter color tea like with a thick coating on the neck. That said it seem to be just getting broke in so the best advise I can give is be patient with it and the adjustments are touchy but once you get it dialed in [emoji106]

I guess that sounds about right for an internal skimmer of this style. Do you have the DC version? I am hoping that I will be able to really dial in the skimmate with the DC pump.

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I didn't spring for the DC. Just keep your expectations realistic, I came from a 90 gallon with a SRO XP-1000SSS and it was a beast but you just can't expect the same results from a package this small there's only so much reactionary space but for what it is I think it's top notch.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back