OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some updates pics, things are settling in nicely. My buddy gave me a frag of bowser zoas to try that hasn't opened in his tank, since he got them. It's been 4 days and No signs of opening, any suggestions?

9b38602b936109d9946d4f009f0caf0e.jpg
c8de81f6e5fb8624b5b2f77e209fb885.jpg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is filling in beautifully. :) How are you liking the Smart ATO?

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is filling in beautifully. :) How are you liking the Smart ATO?

Im not real happy with it. Often times, over night it ends up setting off its alarm for some reason and I have to reset it when I wake up.

It rarely has done this during the day but it has done it.

After talking to coralvue about this they said it may be because my A/C runs longer at night due to me dropping the temp while I sleep and thus causing more evaporation, the internal memory trips the alarm because it is refilling a higher amount than usual.

However when I stated that did not make sense to me because it shouldn't fill more water each time it would just have to refill more often, because the ato should keep the level the same at night as it does during the day right? So then why would it fill more water each time it turns on? It would simply refill more often, wouldn't it?

After that I got no further response from Carlos at coralvue and they closed my ticket. I have had great service from him in the past on my Gyre pumps but I wasn't real happy with this outcome. I also had it fail and over fill twice but luckily I was home.

I am currently looking at the tunze nano ato.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine alarms probably once a month when evaporation increase for what ever reason. I actually like that feature but it would also bug me if it was going off that often. Knock on wood mine has never over filled. I would tell them to send you a new one, I would probably insist on it.
I would go with the Tunze Osmolator 3155, the 3152 model failed numerous times and over filled my tank, I was present each time, just very lucky, I tried two different pumps and sensors and the problem continued.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tank is looking good!

Fishninja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem with my smart ATO too. I got my tunze 9004 on my Jbj, however it only fits in between the two pumps and I am now getting a ton of micro bubbles in the display.

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem with my smart ATO too. I got my tunze 9004 on my Jbj, however it only fits in between the two pumps and I am now getting a ton of micro bubbles in the display.

The micro bubbles will probably go away after a while, mine did. It won't fit sideways in the right chamber?
bedb593d3ddc22520fd48b9383f55d93.jpg

Jdurm55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you had any problems with the pumps in the sump causing microbubbles to go into the tank? idk if my pumps are just going back or if the water flowing over the baffles is causing bubbles to go into the pumps.

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not since the skimmer broke in. I am not using the stock pumps either though. I am using 1 sicce 1.5 with a y fitting to split the hose to the 2 returns.

My stock pumps sounded like They were grinding up rocks or something. I like the single pump but I do wish I had gone with the sicce 2.0 instead just to get a little more flow.

Jdurm55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not since the skimmer broke in. I am not using the stock pumps either though. I am using 1 sicce 1.5 with a y fitting to split the hose to the 2 returns.

My stock pumps sounded like They were grinding up rocks or something. I like the single pump but I do wish I had gone with the sicce 2.0 instead just to get a little more flow.

can you link the pump that you got and where did you get the y fitting? im thinking of going to a single pump also. these mirco bubbles are driving me nuts lol

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you link the pump that you got and where did you get the y fitting? im thinking of going to a single pump also. these mirco bubbles are driving me nuts lol

Pump
https://www.marinedepot.com/Sicce_S...arium_Pumps-Sicce_USA-XJ1135-FIWPEPZT-vi.html

Y-Fitting
https://www.marinedepot.com/Insert_...Plumbing_Parts-FT7933-FIFTFIHB-FT7933-vi.html

The pump is dead silent and pushes plenty of water. I really don't know why I wish I had gotten the 2.0. It's just a little more powerful.

Bowlopho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the hydor ato. I actually love it a lot. It has 2 built in sensors, so far , I've never had an issue. My buddies with the tunze ato have ran into a few problems of it overflowing.

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the hydor ato. I actually love it a lot. It has 2 built in sensors, so far , I've never had an issue. My buddies with the tunze ato have ran into a few problems of it overflowing.

The smart ato micro has been alright, once I figured out to put the sensor where I want it, let the water level go down quite a bit and then turn it on so it fills to the sensor, I haven't had problems since I did that.

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved the skimmer back to the middle chamber for the time being. Trying to figure out which configuration works best(aka: I like best) so far I don't think it really matters.

Reab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any plans to incorporate macro algae?

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any plans to incorporate macro algae?

If I get ahold of some dragons breath or another decorative macro I would like to have some in the display. I loved it when I had it in my 65 but I don't plan to run any chaeto or anything in the back chambers my experiments with it the past few years just haven't worked out. I even built a macro reactor for the 90 I had but it just didn't work out so I think I'm done with that, for now. I would like to try an algae scrubber at some point though.

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have decided to go ahead and order the intank media basket and I have moved the skimmer back to the right side intake chamber. The skimmer seems to perform well in both places BUT if it is in the return chamber and I forgot to turn the skimmer off before putting my hand in the tank it will over flow and spill all of the contents into the sump area... so for mostly that reason I made the decision

itskdo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous tank! Love the rock work and how clean the tank looks. I just picked up a JBJ 45 and will be following this thread. Do you mind me asking how you made the back cover?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 27 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.4%
Back