OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick question. Any issues with water levels with the skimmer considering that chamber stays a constant level and the only one that drains is the middle one. And do you run an auto top of and if so what one?

I have had no issues with water level. I do run a Smart ATO Micro. Even with the skimmer in the center chamber it keeps the level steady and there's no issue. HOWEVER, the reason I moved it to the right, overflow compartment is because if I put my hand in the tank for whatever reason it raised the level in the center chamber enough to over flow the skimmer and I got tired of that. I did like it better in the center but I have a clown fish who like to move stuff and I seem to have to reach in the tank a lot so I got tired of making it over flow.

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright awesome but am I correct from your observations to mine that the right and left filter chamber does not fluctuate water level only the center one?

EriksOasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes mine has the three holes and only thing they affect is when the pump is turned off the back fills up and drains the display to the same level.

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 3 peppermint shrimp to the tank today. Just to give some variety and personality to the cleanup crew. They have proven to be good scavengers in the past and just as much personality as the skunk cleaners.

I am debating on my final fish selection. I am thinking six line wrasse or a candy yellow hogfish aka twospot hogfish. I love the six lines and they are WAY cheaper but the few I've had in the past always seem to become jerks. Anyone have any experience with the hog fish or a six line that wasn't a complete jerk after a while?

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 3 peppermint shrimp to the tank today. Just to give some variety and personality to the cleanup crew. They have proven to be good scavengers in the past and just as much personality as the skunk cleaners.

I am debating on my final fish selection. I am thinking six line wrasse or a candy yellow hogfish aka twospot hogfish. I love the six lines and they are WAY cheaper but the few I've had in the past always seem to become jerks. Anyone have any experience with the hog fish or a six line that wasn't a complete jerk after a while?

I've always like the look of the two spot so that gets my vote. Six lines are in almost everyone's tank at some point. And I loved my old peppermint, but unfortunately he was eaten by a fish hahaha.

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a water change today and cleaned out the back chambers. While using a flashlight to check out what I was up against I saw something dart across the center chamber. Kept hunting and it turned out to be my Allen's Damsel that vanished shortly after I set up the tank lol. Took some doing but I got him fished out and back in the display [emoji106]
3a06415e6e1bcfec79bffd7139b71954.jpg

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to do 10 gallons every Sunday but I missed two weeks due to work and a sprained ankle so I had a solid 3 weeks with nothing but a filter floss change and light feedings with no noticeable changes.

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's super cool!

Thanks! This has been one of my favorite corals. My wife found it at the LFS, it was a little bud about the size of the biggest areas of the babies in the pic and it was stuck in a zoas colony and I was able to get him to snip it out for me.

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! This has been one of my favorite corals. My wife found it at the LFS, it was a little bud about the size of the biggest areas of the babies in the pic and it was stuck in a zoas colony and I was able to get him to snip it out for me.
How long ago did you get it?

OP
OP
Whisnantrider

Whisnantrider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long ago did you get it?

I think I got it some time in 2015 so maybe 2 years. It was litterally like 1/2" across if that and grew to about 3" before it's started receding really bad. I thought it was going to be a goner but shortly after noticed the babies popping up on it.

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I got it some time in 2015 so maybe 2 years. It was litterally like 1/2" across if that and grew to about 3" before it's started receding really bad. I thought it was going to be a goner but shortly after noticed the babies popping up on it.
That is insane, how many babies do you think there is?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 192 71.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back