Matt's JBJ 65 Gallon AIO

MichiganMatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank after a long absence from the hobby. I’ve had the itch for some time and was finally able to talk the wife into it.

Goal of this tank is to have active fun to watch fish for my kids (6 & 3) and enjoy the beauty of a mixed reef. Will mostly be LPS and softies. Not sure I have the resolve for SPS yet.

Equipment List
Tank: JBJ 65 Gallon AIO. Aprox 15G rear Sump, 50G DT.
Lighting: 2x AI Prime HD Reef
Rock: about 50 LB MarcoRock Dry Rock
Sand: CaribSea Arag-Alive Special Grade Sand 40Lb
Return Pump: Stock 24W X2, about 800gph
Power Head: Nero 5
Skimmer: Tunze 9004 (Adding Soon)
ATO: Prism Auto Top Off
Heater: Eheim Jager 250W with inkbird controller

Left side replaced filter sock with filter media cup that has ceramic rings and filter floss

Right side has filter sock

I’m sure there is more to list...

Stock Current
Pair of Black Ice Clownfish
Royal Gramma
Melanurus Wrasse

CUC - 5 Hermits. 2 Turbo Snails, 2 Dwarf Trochus, 4 Astrea Snail

Stock Future Add (One Only I think).

The house consensus is we need something red.

Flame Angle or another Dwarf Angle?
Midas Blenny
Flame Hawk

Week 1
unboxing

IMG_20220325_163120.jpg

I attempted a negative space with MarcoRock. I wish it turned out a bit more random/natural. However, in the end I think it fits the bill with lots of hiding places.

IMG_20220329_201058.jpg

Cycled the tank for 3 weeks using TurboStart 900 & Dr Tim's Ammonia. Did a 50% water change once the tank was done cycling.

IMG_20220412_211803.jpg

Week 4
First inhabitants are a pair of black ice clowns. They have decided to host the left overflow. Hopeful I can tempt them to host a hammer/torch in the future.

IMG_20220416_172512.jpg

Youngest is already obsessed

IMG_20220416_192835.jpg

Week 6
Replaced the stock glass lid with a clearview tsunami lid. It came out well and fits better and is sleeker than the glass lid.

IMG_20220528_100308.jpg

Week 8
Added two new inhabitants. A small Royal Gramma and Small/Medium Melanurus Wrasse. They disagreed a bit the first day but have learned to coexist. The Melanurus has even convinced the pair of clowns it’s OK to swim in the whole aquarium... from time to time.

IMG_20220528_091858 (1).jpg

Week 9

So far I have kept the new tank algae mostly at bay. There are spots here or there. I've had a few small diatom blooms, but they receed each week that goes by.

I've been using an auto feeder and Kasa smart power stripe to automate pellet feeding. The Gramma is only eating frozen mysis. Need to work on adding pellets to his diet for future travel reasons. Going to attempt to mix pellets with the mysis. Must continue to automate...

Future

Starting to think about what and when I should add the potential list fish. The kids are obsessed with getting something red. I love the flame angle but I am worried about aggression and future coral nipping. The other options include a Midas Blenny and a Flame Hawk. I also have a mind to add something what will use the top 1/3 of the aquarium.

Would love additional sensible suggestions here. I feel like this decision will set the direction this project goes. At one point I was considering a Kole tang but feel like this is a poor decision per the 50 gallon (3ft W) DT size.

Other future decisions.

Should I add another Nero5 or 3 on the right side?

Do I want to go down the automated dossing path when I add LPS?

Should I add more snails? What type?

More automation?

Thanks for reading.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank after a long absence from the hobby. I’ve had the itch for some time and was finally able to talk the wife into it.

Goal of this tank is to have active fun to watch fish for my kids (6 & 3) and enjoy the beauty of a mixed reef. Will mostly be LPS and softies. Not sure I have the resolve for SPS yet.

Equipment List

Left side replaced filter sock with filter media cup that has ceramic rings and filter floss

Stock Current
Royal Gramma
Melanurus Wrasse

Midas Blenny
Flame Hawk

Week 1
unboxing

IMG_20220325_163120.jpg

I attempted a negative space with MarcoRock. I wish it turned out a bit more random/natural. However, in the end I think it fits the bill with lots of hiding places.

IMG_20220329_201058.jpg

Cycled the tank for 3 weeks using TurboStart 900 & Dr Tim's Ammonia. Did a 50% water change once the tank was done cycling.

IMG_20220412_211803.jpg

Week 4
First inhabitants are a pair of black ice clowns. They have decided to host the left overflow. Hopeful I can tempt them to host a hammer/torch in the future.

IMG_20220416_172512.jpg

IMG_20220416_192835.jpg

Week 6
Replaced the stock glass lid with a clearview tsunami lid. It came out well and fits better and is sleeker than the glass lid.

IMG_20220528_100308.jpg

Week 8
Added two new inhabitants. A small Royal Gramma and Small/Medium Melanurus Wrasse. They disagreed a bit the first day but have learned to coexist. The Melanurus has even convinced the pair of clowns it’s OK to swim in the whole aquarium... from time to time.

Week 9

So far I have kept the new tank algae mostly at bay. There are spots here or there. I've had a few small diatom blooms, but they receed each week that goes by.

I've been using an auto feeder and Kasa smart power stripe to automate pellet feeding. The Gramma is only eating frozen mysis. Need to work on adding pellets to his diet for future travel reasons. Going to attempt to mix pellets with the mysis. Must continue to automate...

Future

Starting to think about what and when I should add the potential list fish. The kids are obsessed with getting something red. I love the flame angle but I am worried about aggression and future coral nipping. The other options include a Midas Blenny and a Flame Hawk. I also have a mind to add something what will use the top 1/3 of the aquarium.

Would love additional sensible suggestions here. I feel like this decision will set the direction this project goes. At one point I was considering a Kole tang but feel like this is a poor decision per the 50 gallon (3ft W) DT size.

Other future decisions.

More automation?

Thanks for reading.
What a pretty tank! As far as fish, I love my Midas blenny, but they are orange not red. Some fairy wrasses have red in them. As far as automation, could you get an apex aquarium controller? It makes life so much easier!

McCarrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Equipment List

Stock Current
Royal Gramma
Melanurus Wrasse

Midas Blenny
Flame Hawk

Week 1
unboxing

IMG_20220325_163120.jpg

IMG_20220329_201058.jpg

IMG_20220412_211803.jpg

Week 4

IMG_20220416_172512.jpg

IMG_20220416_192835.jpg

Week 6

IMG_20220528_100308.jpg

Week 8

Week 9

Future

Other future decisions.

More automation?

Thanks for reading.
I have the same tank at home! Mine has only been set up since June. I'd love to see an update on this tank.

prettypink3283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the same tank running fir 4 months and I have good return flow and the filter socks and media but I feel with no water movement in the back with the sump..it's not filtrating right..all I've had is either brown or green hair algae and I'm totally frustrated..help!!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back