Maturing?

Yallnotfwme223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I was wondering how much cord time really play in a successful reef tank? My tank is almost 3 months old and I’ve had some ups and downs but it’s good right now. It’s good but I know it could be better if you know what I mean. So I was wondering will letting my tank Mature a year or so make things a lot better in the long run?

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading in btwn the lines.... you are saying "C-mon guys, 3mos is long enough. I'm seeing all this stuff I wanna buy. I wanna go go go. Plz give me affirmation on what I want to hear"

You need 9mos of stability and excellent maintenance

Anything you buy right now at 3mos has about a 25% success rate

OP
OP
Yallnotfwme223

Yallnotfwme223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really I just want a successful tank I want to fill my tank up with coral but I don’t want to get alot of things just for them to die ya know

OP
OP
Yallnotfwme223

Yallnotfwme223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading in btwn the lines.... you are saying "C-mon guys, 3mos is long enough. I'm seeing all this stuff I wanna buy. I wanna go go go. Plz give me affirmation on what I want to hear"

You need 9mos of stability and excellent maintenance
So just keep the softies and the few lps I have for 6 more months and then go from there ?

OP
OP
Yallnotfwme223

Yallnotfwme223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by excellent maintenance? Ian very open to help! I just need help

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really I just want a successful tank I want to fill my tank up with coral but I don’t want to get alot of things just for them to die ya know
Nothing good happens quickly in a reef tank. I would stick with softies and lps and focus on making them thrive for a few months. Then maybe try some easy SPS or a small anemone or something. Baby steps are important here. Try learning everything you can about your current corals and your future additions in the meantime. Plan it out. Throw yourself into it. That's the fun part of reefkeeping: there is always more to learn and more to see :D

OP
OP
Yallnotfwme223

Yallnotfwme223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing good happens quickly in a reef tank. I would stick with softies and lps and focus on making them thrive for a few months. Then maybe try some easy SPS or a small anemone or something. Baby steps are important here. Try learning everything you can about your current corals and your future additions in the meantime. Plan it out. Throw yourself into it. That's the fun part of reefkeeping: there is always more to learn and more to see :D
Thank you that’s really good advice. I will do that.

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon cube. Is bi weekly water changes enough ?
It's more than water changes. Learn about the parameters that go into it.

Parameters important for all corals: Salinity, temp, PH, nitrate, phosphates, and 0 ammonia/nitrites

Parameters more important for stony corals: Alkalinity, calcium, magnesium. But alkalinity applies a little to softies as well.

Also as I've said before... stability! Stable parameters will really REALLY help your corals thrive more than feeding or fancy potions from the LFS. Try some cheap softies once you get the first few parameters in check. Then go from there.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have mentioned, stay the course for now, I get the desire to go further but, it's really a crap shoot IMO. How about another cheap softie that catches your eye instead of the high end LPS or SPS? It will do wonders for your tank husbandry ...let's chat again in a few months...been there myself , made the mistakes years ago of too fast and too expensive ...

OP
OP
Yallnotfwme223

Yallnotfwme223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's more than water changes. Learn about the parameters that go into it.

Parameters important for all corals: Salinity, temp, PH, nitrate, phosphates, and 0 ammonia/nitrites

Parameters more important for stony corals: Alkalinity, calcium, magnesium. But alkalinity applies a little to softies as well.

Also as I've said before... stability! Stable parameters will really REALLY help your corals thrive more than feeding or fancy potions from the LFS. Try some cheap softies once you get the first few parameters in check. Then go from there.
I think I’ve come off at a complete noob sorry!! I know a pretty good bit about reef keeping I text my parameters every 2 weeks and I have a ATO for my salinity stability It stays at 35.0 ppt I’m just 18 and I know the majority of the people on here have a alotttt more experience than me so I just wanted some advice

OP
OP
Yallnotfwme223

Yallnotfwme223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have mentioned, stay the course for now, I get the desire to go further but, it's really a crap shoot IMO. How about another cheap softie that catches your eye instead of the high end LPS or SPS? It will do wonders for your tank husbandry ...let's chat again in a few months...been there myself , made the mistakes years ago of too fast and too expensive ...
Yesss that’s exactly where I’m at. You understand thank you. I will check back in a few months ! Thank you all very much..

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’ve come off at a complete noob sorry!! I know a pretty good bit about reef keeping I text my parameters every 2 weeks and I have a ATO for my salinity stability It stays at 35.0 ppt I’m just 18 and I know the majority of the people on here have a alotttt more experience than me so I just wanted some advice
Hey man no worries I'm a younger reefer too! And I didn't mean to come off like I was trying to be intimidating or anything. I only have had my tank for a few months and I have learned a LOT in that time!

And as others have said try some softies and keep us updated. In a little while you'll be a softie pro and ready to tackle some amazing LPS and SPS.

OP
OP
Yallnotfwme223

Yallnotfwme223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey man no worries I'm a younger reefer too! And I didn't mean to come off like I was trying to be intimidating or anything. I only have had my tank for a few months and I have learned a LOT in that time!

And as others have said try some softies and keep us updated. In a little while you'll be a softie pro and ready to tackle some amazing LPS and SPS.
Thank you! I really appreciate it you guys have been very helpful .

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well, you are supplying sound advice, its tough to stay the course when starting out, I know it lol, been there, wanted more too fast and whammo, then same again for years....stuck it out, and still here thankfully with a result I like, but always want to improve upon.
Thank you! I really appreciate it you guys have been very helpful .
It's what the forum is for...be well and happy reefing.

Pics of both tanks are always awesome to see of new reefers btw... so if you feel like it both, then fire away. No judgment, just looking at the beauty of your particular reefs....

OP
OP
Yallnotfwme223

Yallnotfwme223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my tank

Attachments

• 02B10937-2179-4E7C-80D8-BEF23584F986.jpeg
    02B10937-2179-4E7C-80D8-BEF23584F986.jpeg
    221.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 9C854EF5-DD96-46BA-A80A-D731FF6E8CAD.jpeg
    9C854EF5-DD96-46BA-A80A-D731FF6E8CAD.jpeg
    228.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 7BEEA48C-8785-42B9-924C-3C64EAD35477.jpeg
    7BEEA48C-8785-42B9-924C-3C64EAD35477.jpeg
    166.9 KB · Views: 35

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you are supplying sound advice, its tough to stay the course when starting out, I know it lol, been there, wanted more too fast and whammo, then same again for years....stuck it out, and still here thankfully with a result I like, but always want to improve upon.

It's what the forum is for...be well and happy reefing.

Pics of both tanks are always awesome to see of new reefers btw... so if you feel like it both, then fire away. No judgment, just looking at the beauty of your particular reefs....
9A430F82-713B-4AC5-A2ED-ABDAAA5597B0.jpeg

an older picture but it's coming together. can't wait to see the tank a year from now. all stocked up with fish and gonna get some new cuc members this weekend :D

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 163 73.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 37 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back