Max E-260?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those of you that have the upgraded sump for the E260. Where do you have your ATO sensor and where do you put the outlet tube for it?

3sgterror

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean the stock red sea sump? If so, are you using the gravity fed ATO built into the sump? Or are you using a 3rd party ATO. In any event, like the gravity fed, I would put the ATO sensor in the return chamber. That is where evaporation will occure first.

I upgraded my e260 to the under cabinet sump, but instead of the Red Sea sump, I went with a Bashsea unit. But the premise is the same, ATO sensor goes in the return chamber.

OP
OP
G

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean the stock red sea sump? If so, are you using the gravity fed ATO built into the sump? Or are you using a 3rd party ATO. In any event, like the gravity fed, I would put the ATO sensor in the return chamber. That is where evaporation will occure first.

I upgraded my e260 to the under cabinet sump, but instead of the Red Sea sump, I went with a Bashsea unit. But the premise is the same, ATO sensor goes in the return chamber.
Yes, the stock upgraded under the cab sump. I have the Tunze ATO. Should I put the fill tubing in the same place as the sensor? My ATO seems to go off a lot and I'm getting air in the drain in the original sump in the back of the tank. I can't seem to get this right. I've been adjusting the return pump speed and the return valve to no avail. It's a constant battle to get it right.

3sgterror

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my ATO sensor in my return chamber but I have the fill tube in the drain/skimmer section. If you put the fill tube in the return section you could get bubbles that interfere with the sensor.

If you are having issues with air getting in, it seems like you need to add more water to the system. raise the display tank so that the water level is a little lower than the emergency drain. It sounds like you are getting air in your main drain because it is not creating a full siphon.

I'm not sure what kind of return you have, DC vs AC, but I would set that to a level and then adjust your drain valve to match the return flow. make very small adjustments to the drain let it settle for a few minutes than make further adjustments if needed.

OP
OP
G

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my ATO sensor in my return chamber but I have the fill tube in the drain/skimmer section. If you put the fill tube in the return section you could get bubbles that interfere with the sensor.

If you are having issues with air getting in, it seems like you need to add more water to the system. raise the display tank so that the water level is a little lower than the emergency drain. It sounds like you are getting air in your main drain because it is not creating a full siphon.

I'm not sure what kind of return you have, DC vs AC, but I would set that to a level and then adjust your drain valve to match the return flow. make very small adjustments to the drain let it settle for a few minutes than make further adjustments if needed.
Thanks, I'll try putting the fill tube in the drain/skimmer section.. I seem to get it right and a few hours later it screws up. I just can't get it to level out.. I'll add more water at my next change.

3sgterror

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so based on what you said above, with the ATO going off a lot, it seems your return pump is pumping faster than your drain is allowing water to return to the sump.

Is your water level in your display tank rising slowly over that time frame? I would try opening your drain a little. By a little i mean just a slight turn, less than a 1/8 of a turn. Let it settle out and see if you need to adjust again.

I have read that the Red Sea diaphragm valve can be a pain to adjust. I upgraded to different plumbing immediately with a true gate valve so I could fine tune my drain. I never even filled my tank with the stock plumbing.

OP
OP
G

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so based on what you said above, with the ATO going off a lot, it seems your return pump is pumping faster than your drain is allowing water to return to the sump.

Is your water level in your display tank rising slowly over that time frame? I would try opening your drain a little. By a little i mean just a slight turn, less than a 1/8 of a turn. Let it settle out and see if you need to adjust again.

I have read that the Red Sea diaphragm valve can be a pain to adjust. I upgraded to different plumbing immediately with a true gate valve so I could fine tune my drain. I never even filled my tank with the stock plumbing.
I have upgraded the valve. If I open the drain I get air in the down tube. The noise drives me nuts.. So I turn the pump up to compensate then the ATO goes off a lot. I'm thinking I just don't have enough water in the system.

3sgterror

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah sounds like you need more water in the system.

The air in your drain tube is because its not creating a full siphon. So you need to increase the level of your display some. Pour some salt water in and you should probably be good to go.

Just as an aside, my ATO goes off a couple times a day. Your tank may be different due to where you live and the relative temp, but I wouldn't expect it to be going off all the time.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, Red Sea has done an Upgrade on the Gate Valve that will be available soon.

MD51

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can you post a pick of that Bashsea when you have the opportunity?

For everyone with the under the cab sump you all glad you made the upgrade? Was going to go that route but have decided to leave as is as I will be going larger latter part of this year.

3sgterror

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a pick of that Bashsea when you have the opportunity?

For everyone with the under the cab sump you all glad you made the upgrade? Was going to go that route but have decided to leave as is as I will be going larger latter part of this year.
Here is my setup at the moment. Its the Bashsea Cube and the SS-10 ATO reservoir on the side. Custom plumbing, although I do want to re-do this a little bit. I'm not completely happy with the drain piping.

I am completely happy with my upgrade. It allows me to add more water to the system and also to hide components in the under cab area. Since this tank sits in our living room, my wife wasn't too fond of having the original skimmer viewable from any angle.

Now I also have room for a small refugium with chaeto coming tomorrow! With the dividers that I built, I now even have a little space for storage of food and what not.

1617206605953.png
e

OP
OP
G

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my setup at the moment. Its the Bashsea Cube and the SS-10 ATO reservoir on the side. Custom plumbing, although I do want to re-do this a little bit. I'm not completely happy with the drain piping.

I am completely happy with my upgrade. It allows me to add more water to the system and also to hide components in the under cab area. Since this tank sits in our living room, my wife wasn't too fond of having the original skimmer viewable from any angle.

Now I also have room for a small refugium with chaeto coming tomorrow! With the dividers that I built, I now even have a little space for storage of food and what not.

1617206605953.png
e
How are you going to keep the refugium light from shining on the rest of the sump? Is that the Tunze pump? Is it on a stand?

3sgterror

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you going to keep the refugium light from shining on the rest of the sump? Is that the Tunze pump? Is it on a stand?
Yes that is the Tunze pump and it does have a stand. This is the stand I printed:
Tunze Stand

As for the fuge light bleeding into the rest of the sump, I don't have a plan at this time. I actually just started running the fuge a few nights ago. Most of the light is concentrated in the fuge chamber but there is some spillover. I might wait it out and see how bad the algae gets in the chamber and decide from there.

If needed, I can print the AI prime shade to direct more of the light down.

1617333972097.png

OP
OP
G

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is the Tunze pump and it does have a stand. This is the stand I printed:
Tunze Stand

As for the fuge light bleeding into the rest of the sump, I don't have a plan at this time. I actually just started running the fuge a few nights ago. Most of the light is concentrated in the fuge chamber but there is some spillover. I might wait it out and see how bad the algae gets in the chamber and decide from there.

If needed, I can print the AI prime shade to direct more of the light down.

1617333972097.png
Are you selling those stands?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back