Max Length Tank for this Location

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iteration #491 over tank options.. This is turning into a bad obsession.

Started with a 4', then started thinking bigger. We've nixed a couple of proposed locations in the house and and I have received wife alignment on the location below (conveniently also have a unused 20 AMP circuit and outlet right in the center of the wall).
  • I have a maximum of 75 inches to work with
  • Distance from wall and tank width are negotiable (non-issues at this point).
  • Minimally I would like a 4' tank - however want to understand how far I can go.
    • 6' I think will be stretching it - not giving me good access to the right side that would be against the wall - right?
    • Is 5' do-able? If I didn't center it, and had it align to the left side of the wall I would have approximately 12-15" to get back on the side of the tank. Smaller things could go on the right (like ATO rez, equipment box, etc.)
1698016772686.png

Indymann99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be worried not having ample space from the doorway. Lots of items go through doorways (think installer delivering an appliance). I would do a 48x24x24 (120g) in that space. A “standard” size tank will also be less $$ than a 5ft. Easy to find a 4ft stand (or better make your own). Lighting a 120g is also easier.
My 0.02.

OP
OP
crabgrass

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be worried not having ample space from the doorway. Lots of items go through doorways (think installer delivering an appliance). I would do a 48x24x24 (120g) in that space. A “standard” size tank will also be less $$ than a 5ft. Easy to find a 4ft stand (or better make your own). Lighting a 120g is also easier.
My 0.02.

Very point.. this is a direct path to our kitechen and utility room.

You are killing my 5’ dream! But I think it makes practical sense.

Indymann99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 48x24x24 (120g) with under stand sump and ATO. It’s a unique build as its in wall in my basement in the space intended for a fireplace. Might give you some ideas on sump layout.
IMG_7409.jpeg
IMG_7721.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back