Max spect Gyre XF250

Alphasig293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two max spect XF250s mounted horizontally at the top of the tank running on random on a 225 (72x24x30) along with 2 WAVs on the back running on the back wall scheme.

Is the Icecap module better than the max spect controller? Will I gain any additional functionality?

Additionally, does anyone recommend any profiles for WAVs mounted on the back wall?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have two max spect XF250s mounted horizontally at the top of the tank running on random on a 225 (72x24x30) along with 2 WAVs on the back running on the back wall scheme.

Is the Icecap module better than the max spect controller? Will I gain any additional functionality?

Additionally, does anyone recommend any profiles for WAVs mounted on the back wall?
I have the same set up. I do not believe - with the F250's set up at the correct flow that you SHOULD need the Wav pumps. I think the Maxpect controller FAR outperforms the WAV module. In fact - I recently sold 2 other pumps, my Icecap module and 2 F250s on Ebay - which gave me almost enough to but 2 F350's - which IMHO would be more than enough flow for your tank. But - to answer your question - I would use the maxspect controller - With the F350's you can also get the IVC6 - which allows you to use an app on your phone (I am not sure if you can do that with the F250's)

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same set up. I do not believe - with the F250's set up at the correct flow that you SHOULD need the Wav pumps. I think the Maxpect controller FAR outperforms the WAV module. In fact - I recently sold 2 other pumps, my Icecap module and 2 F250s on Ebay - which gave me almost enough to but 2 F350's - which IMHO would be more than enough flow for your tank. But - to answer your question - I would use the maxspect controller - With the F350's you can also get the IVC6 - which allows you to use an app on your phone (I am not sure if you can do that with the F250's)
that completely depends how the scape is set up, the corals in the system, the tank size and the maintenance habits of the hobbyist imo.
I added a single tunze powerhead on the backwall of my tank recently after finding dead spots my rock was creating. albeit running fairly slow it has made for a nice gentle push to the chaotic flow. i'll likely be adding a couple of wavs as well after a positive result.

OP
OP
Alphasig293

Alphasig293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks...I was looking at reviews of the "ice cap" module and I just don't see value. As far as upgrading, I've thought about it, but I will probably wait until the my pumps fail or the maxspect controller fails (my first one the display eventually failed and was tough to read, however I had a second).

OP
OP
Alphasig293

Alphasig293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, what flow pattern did you run on your set up?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also, what flow pattern did you run on your set up?
I have the 2 F350's on each end of the tank (5 feet). I. have one ramp up from 0 - (random 50-100%). That one stops and the other one ramps up from 0- random 50-100%) each cycle is about 30 seconds.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back