Max weight on RMS

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

NefTunzReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know the maximum weight one Ecotech RMS Xr30 mount is built to hold safely? Can't find any specs online about max weight capacity.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is more of an issue where the mount places pressure on the glass panel.
I've jostled around the idea of using the mounts to hand a Aquatic Life T5 Hybrid but am afraid that the weight including the LED fixtures would strain the mount points and possibly crack the back glass panel.

OP
OP
NefTunzReef

NefTunzReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True. Probably will have to resort to the rail system and side mounts unless RMS are rated for a little bit more weight than what they are normally designed to carry.

bdejong1112o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From personal experience the RMS mount is not up to the task of holding even the XR30. I run three in my tank and when using the RMS as designed they would droop and all three lights were uneven.

I ended up using two of the three I ordered with a piece of 8020 bar and using the RMS mounts to hold the bar.

If you look at the mount it's all nice sturdy metal until you get to the clamp part. Then it turns to plastic and the pinch point for the clam is just not stout enough to hold a light without sagging.

Picture below shows the aluminum colored bar of 8020 before I painted it black.

20171014_105654.jpg

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 49 29.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 36 21.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 17 10.2%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 58 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back