Maxima clam mantle torn, is it normal?

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, definitely a goner. Should i let it melt in the tank or pull it out? I'm wondering if there's any way to figure out the cause of death, too. It really didn't seem to do well from the week after I put it in my tank. I know they don't do well with water fluctuations, but are there any other common reasons for death? I'm gonna check it for pyramid snails, though I still don't see any. Thanks for your support everyone
Take it out ASAP, and wear a mask, cuz they stink, also bring a trash can or. Zip loc bag near your tank. The cause of death was probably the fact that it was pinched mantle disease. You should do some research on that. Your clams mantle wasn’t torn it was pulling it back in reaction for protozoan. It is usually possible to cure with some freshwater dips that have adjusted ph. You can put clams into fresh water for quite a long time 15-20 minutes.

Edit: I agree with the post above, what caused the PMD is hard to tell.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That clam was not healthy for quite a while, no new shell growth. Algae even grow right to the edge of the shells.

It did not die due to PMD. Kill way too fast for PMD. When I was fighting with PMD before come up with the cure which is FWD, a 4-5 inch Maxima can last 6 months with it.
The bundle of fiber you observed here is the basal (or byssus) thread bundle that the clam let go. This is normal. Sometime when the clam got stress, and wants to move, it will let go of the basal fiber bundle and move. It will secrete another bundle once it reaches a good area where it wants to stay.
There seem to be a lot of aptasia in the tank. The clams may not do well for a long time but to many people looks normal, even better than normal (except no growth). Normally this happen when the clam is lacking in light. They hyper-extended their mantles to collect more light. Not having enough energy, the clam was using all it's reserve to say alive. Once the reserve run out they just died overnight. That is why many people find clams to be "healthy" then died suddenly. If there are aptasia on the shell of the clam, it can sting the clam cause the retraction of the mantle. This could be the last straw that broke the camel back and kill the clam.

Is this aptasia (2) that I see there? Hard to tell, but if this is aptasia, it can be what cause the retraction of the mantle.
IMG_20200318_091436.jpg

When you buy clam and can see it before you buy, always look for growth. If there is no growth, do not buy it. If you buy an expensive clam online, ask the seller to take a picture of the shell so you can see growth. If they refuse to show you this picture, seriously consider not buying it.

Better luck next time.
Here ia an example of the shell of a healthy growing clam. Please dont pay any attention to the injure on the mantle, rather look at the white shell under the mantle.
derasawithinjurmantle-jpg.1240512

Last edited:

Paston1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, I feel so ignorant haha I guess it's just the mouth thanks everyone! First time clam owner here, if you couldn't tell.
I’m glad this post exist. Looking at mine like what the heck same tear/rip but it’s happy. Thank you for the post.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back