Maxima Clam

austin_socal

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 16, 2024
Messages
418
Reaction score
165
Location
Los Angeles
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I was wondering how hard everyone thought it was to keep blue maxima clams, because I have been seeing a lot of people online adding them to new tanks and having them thrive.
TIA :)
 
New tank as in the reef tank has been up and running for a couple of years and the clam is new to it or new tank as in I set it up over the weekend and this monday I am going to add a clam?
 
New tank as in the reef tank has been up and running for a couple of years and the clam is new to it or new tank as in I set it up over the weekend and this monday I am going to add a clam?
I saw online some people who had tanks for only a few months and had one. I have had mine for over a year and I’d like to purchase one this wknd
 
Alright, thank you. Do you think a tank like mine that has been running for over a year would be ready for one?
it's not just running it for a year. your parameters need to remain stable. if it's a large clam and it slowly dies it could nuke your whole tank.
 
I don't know, really, but after reading the linked post and you knowing your tank's current state (stableness and parameters) you would have a better idea than I. :)
 
I have been seeing a lot of people online adding them to new tanks and having them thrive.
TIA :)
For me the word thrive means it has been kept alive for many years. Yes lots of people add them to new tanks and they do well for a few months, but trust me they never come back later to admit that the clam died. Clams can take several months up to a year to die.

The most important thing of all is a strong light. Many people want a clam and try giving it the bare minimum of lighting it needs, thinking they can supplement the clam with phyto. Maxima can survive at 250 par, but they are proven to do much better in 700-1200 par, so for the clam sake, you should only think of keeping one if you can provide the light. Good luck.
 
For me the word thrive means it has been kept alive for many years. Yes lots of people add them to new tanks and they do well for a few months, but trust me they never come back later to admit that the clam died. Clams can take several months up to a year to die.

The most important thing of all is a strong light. Many people want a clam and try giving it the bare minimum of lighting it needs, thinking they can supplement the clam with phyto. Maxima can survive at 250 par, but they are proven to do much better in 700-1200 par, so for the clam sake, you should only think of keeping one if you can provide the light. Good luck.
Thank you for all the information man- really appreciate it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new