Maxima Clam

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My clam has two like vents on the side that I noticed today open and close, is that normal?

IMG_2295_LI.jpg IMG_2294_LI (2).jpg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like an awesome bivalve on your clam. That would not concern me. Does the clam open and expand normally?
New clam?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the bivalve does not grow past the clam mantle and keep them from extending, then they are no issue.

OP
OP
dadnjesse

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well something keep making it close I thought a fish was bothering it. Can I remove those things. I have had him a few years but lately he has been closing.

OP
OP
dadnjesse

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I recently added some rock from KP Aquatics in my sump, I wonder If that's when I got them.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those Hydroids on the shell near the mantle?
Have you introduced any other clams recently?
Have you checked for Pyramid snails?

OP
OP
dadnjesse

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did check for pyramid snail and didn't find any, so I think I will remove those bivalves.

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pointy things near the mantle look to be vermetid snails. Their mucous strands could be irritating the clam and not allowing it to open. I would look at water parameters too... could you post them? Also, have you moved the clam or changed lighting/flow recently? I don’t think it’s likely that it settled as a larva from the live rock you added. It must have been on the shell from the beginning when you got it.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pointy things near the mantle look to be vermetid snails. Their mucous strands could be irritating the clam and not allowing it to open. I would look at water parameters too... could you post them? Also, have you moved the clam or changed lighting/flow recently? I don’t think it’s likely that it settled as a larva from the live rock you added. It must have been on the shell from the beginning when you got it.

^^^This^^^

I'd be way more concerned about the vermetid snails than I would the (really cool) hitchhikers.

OP
OP
dadnjesse

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I removed all the vermetid snail from it today. I don't think it's my water as my sps are growing so fast I have to cut them back every week and basically through them away.

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed all the vermetid snail from it today. I don't think it's my water as my sps are growing so fast I have to cut them back every week and basically through them away.
Can you take a photo of the clam when it’s open to it’s maximum potential for the day? If he is this closed up throughout the majority of the day, it is likely a pinched mantle disease. In that case, your last hail marry is to do a proper freshwater dip with a matching ph and temperature. Otherwise, he is likely going to die in a few days. If the clam was close up like that because it reacted to something then you should be ok.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 53 81.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.6%
Back