Maxima Clams - 6500k myth or truth

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like folks swear that maximas need 6500k white light as they are quite shallow in the wild

Theoretically they are photosynthetic and use the same spectrum that corals use.

Given above statements should I turn up my whites? Currently all blue, zero whites. Any word on PAR for maximas.

Thank you.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just off the cuff, I’d say no, and I’m a warm color advocate. I’ve grown corals under 6500K; they aren’t the most colorful under that color temperature.
Led or T5? reason I ask is: I suspect most “warmer” T5’s probably have enough “blue” to work, whereas I haven’t seen spectral data on non-blue LED’s to be sure.
As for PAR, I thought in order: Crocea, Maxima, Derasa, Squamosa ... I’d go over 100 par for Croceas and Maxima, but thats a neophyte opinion, I won’t argue if others post different

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they need it? Not at all. I have grown dozens of clams over the years, maximas included, from 20k or more blue tanks to some growing in my sump under kessil h380 for a couple years now which is a super heavy red, just to see how they would do. They all have done well under all spectrums I have tried from both extremes. Just making sure 300-400 PAR and they are healthy to start and off the they go. I have not found differences that I could notice in growth from the spectrum but the PAR sure does impact growth.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back