Maxima needs

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question on Maximas.
I know that they are a rock boring clam but mine keep jumping off.
I bought 3 small Cocoa Keeling (2” to 2.5”)and 1 ultra gold (2.75”) on the same day last Thursday. The 3 Keeling clams keep jumping off a large flat slab every night and I find them on the sand bed in the morning. The ultra gold has put out threads and is anchored.
What do I do about the Keelings, should I leave them down on the sand bed in clam cradles and see if the attach or keep putting them back on the shelf rock?
I had also tried putting them in the clam cradles and the cradles on the shelf rock but still find them in the sand bed the next day.
I also picked up a larger 5” Maxima last Friday and have no idea where he wants to be. Do larger Maximas need more or less light then smaller 2.25” ones?
The larger Maxima also is not extended that well. A little worried about PM but also want to rule out settling in but how long should I wait before doing a fresh water bath?
TIA

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that you need to find a nice crevasse that they will feel more secure in. A flat and open section of rock is generally not preferred. In the wild, the young ones settle in nooks and crannies and then bore. Find a nice, relatively enveloping crevasse but not too snug and place them in there.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to get mine to attatch to a cradle while on the sand bed. Then I slowly move them up....

Piranhapat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try to place the cradles or a rock just under the sand bed and place the clams on them. Typically a clam will move to try to find a happy spot and it's usually not where we would like them. They all will need a lot of light but the smaller clams can be gradually moved up once there threads are anchored. Keep an eye on to much flow in certain areas. I used a FW dip as a last resort, do you have any pics?

B0brobert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I place mine on clam plates
20180915_182018.jpg

OP
OP
pecan2phat

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the advice and thanks Pat for the links!
Yesterday the 3 Keelings lightly attached to the hammocks down in the sand so I moved them back up to the shelf rock late last night. This morning 2 of the 3 stayed on their hammocks and one jumped off but attached itself to the shelf rock. I'm leaving them and hoping they attach a little firmer with their byssal threads.
The larger 5" Maxima seems okay but I'm still on the watch to see if it's PM or acclimation, it's mantle is not really extended. It came from Unique Corals and had a flat piece of shell firmly attached to the foot.
This is a terrible photo but just to show what I'm concerned about, there are some of the Keelings too.

IMG_4019.JPG
IMG_4020.JPG
IMG_4021.JPG

OP
OP
pecan2phat

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other note, do you think I should shut off my UV sterilizer for planktonic food or it doesn't make a difference?
Tank is fallow currently.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other note, do you think I should shut off my UV sterilizer for planktonic food or it doesn't make a difference?
Tank is fallow currently.
It shouldn't matter, you really do not need to feed clams. Lighting is the main source and dissolved organics.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back