Maxspec R420R (Razor)

philfree

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the 27" 180W 15000k version on my 29g.
I personally love it.
Grows SPS and my BTAs well, with great color.
Very powerful.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my review, full warning i am honest. I have two of the original 160w 16k Razors that have been over my 130 (ish) gallon reef for a year and a half now. The settings have been a total pain to not fry things under it they are a powerful light. Aside from that they have great coverage and will grow anything I put under them. SPS color has been an issue and every week or so I debate switching to an ATI T5 but stick it out to get the perfect settings, maybe I'm just too much of a color snob haha. Zoas, Palys and LPS always look amazing under these lights I've been very happy with how well they've grown. Overall a great light but does take a lot of tweaking, which I'm still in the middle of, to get perfect. If it's okay here's a few pics, sorry about the bubbles I just cleaned my skimmer. But it gives an idea where colors are at right now.
20151108_190735.jpg

20151110_085930.jpg

OP
OP
NanaReefer

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO @AcroNem your tank looks awesome! I understand only to well about the tweaking issues-lol. Been doing it for almost 2yrs still.
I've been doing a lot of reading about the big big differences between Cree and Bridgelux. Just beginning to grasp the concept. The Razor is the only name brand unit I've come across where 1 will cover my tank.

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have them and have had great results with them, before the tank crash(unrelated to the lights). I ran them for a couple years, with great growth from all my corals(mixed sps lps). programming can be a bit tricky, as it only has 6 set points, but totally doable.

if youre interested, I have some units, that I used for a frag tank(probably 6 months) i would be willing t0 part with, lemme know

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely like the way my tank looks don't get me wrong, but the sps are definitely lacking a little in color. Growth on everything I'm very impressed with on the other hand. Yes programming is tricky I'm obviously not very good at it because I can't get those rich colors out of sps with them, my nitrates are also at a true 0 trying to raise them a little so I can't blame the lights until things aren't starving anymore. Mine start ramping at 9 am, goes to 40% and 40% at 12. Peak at 50% and 75% at 2. Drop to 30% and 75% in the evening then slowly ramp down to 1% blue for a moonlight at 9pm until morning. I'm still slowly tweaking it so we'll see where it ends up.

Jlobes

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^thats a similar schedule to what I was running. except i was running heavier on the blues. instead of 40/40 at noon, i was 30/40-45 and at peak was 55-60/85.

@AcroNem try bumping up your blues by 3-5 and see if that helps with your coloration.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's good to hear, I've never talked schedule with anyone who's owned this fixture. What size tank was that over? Also @NanaReefer I don't mean to steal the thread my bad, if you have other questions I'm happy to help out.

chrisparks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 160w 16k over my 34 gallon solana 20x20x20 cube tank and I am really liking this unit. I have only had it for 3 months now so I am still playing with the schedule to keep my LPS and zoas happy. What would you all think my peak should be? It's sitting about 8 inches above my tank on my custom built canopy. Right now my peak is 35/65 and everything opens fully and nothing has bleached out or lost any color. I'm not seeing as much grow as I seen with my old T5s but I like the look way better with the maxspect.

elishapep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 300 w 16k over my 120gal and i have the whites at 65% and the blues at 95% with ramping down to 10% and 75% then both to zero..color has been great and growth has been great.. and I switched from MH

WetWhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three 10,000 k R420R and when they worked they worked. Unfortunately all three I have had constant issues with. The first was within 6 months after getting it. Just over a year old the blue channels started going one by one on all of them. Two of the units went twice within a year and a half period. So I had to buy replacement pods that didn't even last 6 months. So out of three I only have one working still, as I refuse to spend any more money on these lights. Once this one is gone I will not fix it. I am using two of them as parts for the one that works still. Considering the LED didn't even last close to the hrs the lights are recommended for I attempted to get the Maxspect rep to stand behind their product and replace the pods and they would not. I had to fight to get it repaired under warranty at 6 months as they didn't want to. Worst customer support I have ever had period and I have been in this hobby for a long time. I will never buy a Maxspec product again after the way I was treated. Even the dealer I got my lights from dropped them because they would not stand behind their product and he seen how they were treating his customers.

I normally don't like bashing a business or product and I am basing this on personal option and experience but stay away from these lights. Unless you want to be treated like garbage like I was and have to buy new lights under 2 years.

I say look at other LED options or you will regret it like I do.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back