Maxspect 130 blowing bubbles

lviva003

Just Zoas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I need some help with my gyre 130. I've had it for over a year now and I've changed the rotors and motor because it died on me about a month ago. Unfortunately, ever since the change of the motor and rotors the gyre blows up too many bubbles. I've tried taking it the gyre apart and putting it back together but have had no luck. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

NealH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine does the same thing since I changed the rotors. It isn't sucking air from the top, but it looks like there is air trapped around the rotors that it spits out as microbubbles. I haven't been able to get it to stop and it's really annoying...

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Mine does the same thing since I changed the rotors. It isn't sucking air from the top, but it looks like there is air trapped around the rotors that it spits out as microbubbles. I haven't been able to get it to stop and it's really annoying...
seems like you should be able to turn it around under water to let the bubbles rise to the surface before turning it on?

OP
OP
L

lviva003

Just Zoas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's completely submerge under water.... No matter where I place it it still blows micro bubbles. If it was a little I wouldn't mind, but it's a lot of bubbles....

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[HASHTAG]#maxpect[/HASHTAG] lets see if this helps you out. Were are the mirco bubbles coming from?

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this same problem and I was going to start a thread on here to ask about it. It looks like this one didn't get resolved, so I am not sure what use it is. I have two Gyre 130s in my 40 breeder that spit out huge slews of micro bubbles every time they change direction. I have had them for about 3 months now and it seems to be getting worse (although I have solved the micro bubble issues from my sump, so maybe they are just now noticeable). They are both on alternating gyre on 100% and do not appear to be sucking in any air from the surface. Is there anything I could do to help this? Take them apart for cleaning or something? I have not taken them apart for anything. They are just stock assembled in my tank.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said it makes bubbles when you switch directions. Are you going from full forward to full reverse or are you slowing down to zero and ramping up to full in the other direction?

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not controlled by an Apex or anything, just using the controller they come with. It is whatever they typically do in alternating gyre mode, but that seems to be a full forward to full reverse.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not controlled by an Apex or anything, just using the controller they come with. It is whatever they typically do in alternating gyre mode, but that seems to be a full forward to full reverse.
Ah. That is likely the problem. Can you control the percentage? Try turning it down to 75% and see if it still happens.

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can turn down the output to 75% but the rate of switching directions isn't adjustable as far as I know. I might just leave it on stead mode or pulse mode if it can't do alternating without blowing out bubbles. Unfortunate...

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you fully cleaned the gyre recently? I had the same issue on my fx150 and for the life of me couldn't figure it out. So I pulled the unit, did a quick soak in 50/50 water vinegar mix and got to scrubbing. Once done gave it a nice rinse in some water change water I had removed. It's my primary/only powerhead aside from a little wp10 to create some chaos so I didn't want it out too long. Put it back in same location I had removed it from and tada. No more bubbles.

Tagareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a 130 for a couple of years and it has always blown micro bubbles. I bought a 230 recently on Black Friday...it does the same thing! Forwards/backwards it doesn't matter. I just have both sync'd to run on random mode now and just live with it because the flow is so awesome!

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine stopped blowing bubbles now that it isn't blowing in reverse. I have yet to clean it so I think I will take it apart and give it a good scrub today and see if that makes a difference for alternating mode. It does seem like they have lost a little power, so I imagine they could use a cleaning.

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping an old thread. I have this same problem on a 230 running at 50%. To be clear I am NOT running alternating gyre mode and the gyre is not sucking air from the surface.

Back