Maxspect Ethereal Owners/Users - I need your input!

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Marine Depot came out today with limited-time special financing on all Maxspect, Reef Octopus, and Icecap products they carry. Its got me thinking that this is a very good time for me to get a Maxspect Ethereal if I'm going to get it.

That being said, the reason I want one is because they have increased control-ability features, specifically ramping and more channels, that my SB Reef Lights unit doesn't have. They also look a whole lot more sleeker and refined than my current lights as well as mounting from the rear of the tank as opposed to the sides using metal legs and hardware that rust.

The tank that the light would be going on is a mixed-reef Innovative Marine Nano 20 filled with Acros, Montis, Euphyllias, Zoas, and a few other types of corals.

What I would like to know from you guys is whether or not this light works well? Does it meet all of your reef keeping needs and then provides enough extra stuff to really sweeten the deal? Let me know your opinion of this light!

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

Marine Depot came out today with limited-time special financing on all Maxspect, Reef Octopus, and Icecap products they carry. Its got me thinking that this is a very good time for me to get a Maxspect Ethereal if I'm going to get it.

That being said, the reason I want one is because they have increased control-ability features, specifically ramping and more channels, that my SB Reef Lights unit doesn't have. They also look a whole lot more sleeker and refined than my current lights as well as mounting from the rear of the tank as opposed to the sides using metal legs and hardware that rust.

The tank that the light would be going on is a mixed-reef Innovative Marine Nano 20 filled with Acros, Montis, Euphyllias, Zoas, and a few other types of corals.

What I would like to know from you guys is whether or not this light works well? Does it meet all of your reef keeping needs and then provides enough extra stuff to really sweeten the deal? Let me know your opinion of this light!
I have a friend who has one on a mixed 20 as well and the tank is very healthy and looks fantastic. Pretty sure APEX compatibility is on its way too!

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a friend who has one on a mixed 20 as well and the tank is very healthy and looks fantastic. Pretty sure APEX compatibility is on its way too!
Thanks for the input, is there any way you can get them to send you a pic and post it on here? If he doesn't want it all over the internet you can PM it to me. I just want to see how it looks on the Nuvo 20, I have an idea but nothing beats the actual thing.

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input, is there any way you can get them to send you a pic and post it on here? If he doesn't want it all over the internet you can PM it to me. I just want to see how it looks on the Nuvo 20, I have an idea but nothing beats the actual thing.
Ill send him a text now though he may not get back to me before tonight with a pic. I score a Nuvo as well and have a Hydra 52 HD on it - way overkill and I might just score a Maxspect for it as they are on sale. This is mine that I just finished with the absurdly over powered Hydra (running at 15%), using a Radion arm to mount it with.
20170826_185528.jpg

20170910_210111.jpg

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill send him a text now though he may not get back to me before tonight with a pic. I score a Nuvo as well and have a Hydra 52 HD on it - way overkill and I might just score a Maxspect for it as they are on sale. This is mine that I just finished with the absurdly over powered Hydra (running at 15%), using a Radion arm to mount it with.
20170826_185528.jpg

20170910_210111.jpg
Thanks for asking, I like how yours looks so I'm thinking the maxspect will look pretty much the same. I thought about going with two AI primes, but the Ethereal is cheaper and you also only have to deal with one light rather than two and any syncing issues associated with that layout.

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for asking, I like how yours looks so I'm thinking the maxspect will look pretty much the same. I thought about going with two AI primes, but the Ethereal is cheaper and you also only have to deal with one light rather than two and any syncing issues associated with that layout.
You really don't need two primes for that 20 . Two of the HDs would have produced as much par as my Hydra 52 HD and really, its a frightening amount of light ;) That Maxspect is a slim and sexy light by comparison.

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really don't need two primes for that 20 . Two of the HDs would have produced as much par as my Hydra 52 HD and really, its a frightening amount of light ;) That Maxspect is a slim and sexy light by comparison.
The reason I wanted two is to get a good spread. The way my aquascape is set up leads to too much shadowing on the edges of the tank if using a puck style light source. I'm sure the Ethereal is spread out far enough to keep everything lit up evenly over the entire tank. :D

Nfd552

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i saw the email today for the marine depot deal and have been debating getting 2 maxspect ethereals for my 75 gal bow front. currently have a very basic light on the tank(current) anyone have input on two of these on a 4ft tank ? any pics?

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just letting you all know, I have a really good credit score and this "offer" that Marine Depot is putting out seems to be some sort of sales grab gimmick. I did the credit application through affirm after having $500 worth of applicable products and still got the full blown interest rate of 30%. If that's going to be the case, then I won't be getting these lights at this time and will just wait for Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals, or just wait until my current light craps out.

PAXpress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to drag up an old thread but did you ever end up getting these? I'm thinking of 1 for my 20 nuvo.

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to drag up an old thread but did you ever end up getting these? I'm thinking of 1 for my 20 nuvo.
Yup, I got it around 3-4 weeks ago!

20171005_165617.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back