Maxspect Gyre and Apex questions

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently run ecotech MP40s with my tank and the newest apex EL system with wxm. works great but i want to switch over to the new maxspect gyre 350s when they become available in the states.

will i need extra apex/maxspect modules to run them, can the Apex El even use those modules without the 0-10v port?

i see the maxspects have an app now to program stuff, can i just use that out of the box for setup and leave apex out of it?

thanks

-maxspect newb

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently run ecotech MP40s with my tank and the newest apex EL system with wxm. works great but i want to switch over to the new maxspect gyre 350s when they become available in the states.

will i need extra apex/maxspect modules to run them, can the Apex El even use those modules without the 0-10v port?

i see the maxspects have an app now to program stuff, can i just use that out of the box for setup and leave apex out of it?

thanks

-maxspect newb

You need to make sure that you will be able to connect and control the pumps with APEX. I would email APEX and see if any such programming or communication between them and Maxspect has been made. I was told my Maxspect XF-280 pumps would be APEX compatible.... I bought them, and they cannot be controlled or connected to my APEX. So make sure if you want to connect to your APEX you find out beforehand.

I since replaced my gyres with Tunze pumps and couldn't be happier.

U

User1

View Badges
Second what @CC13 noted. Maxspect XF-230 and XF-250 are the only models in the US that can be controlled by the Apex. You are required to buy a ice cap interface module for "EACH" gyre you want to control. Let me repeat that last little bit of info often overlooked. You will need a converter module for each gyre. They run about 100 bucks a pop...

Here is my take on it. I am personally tired of each manufactor releasing their own dongle, controller, or web app to control their device rather than focus on a interconnect for the signal or more common controller ecosystems out such has Neptune or GHL I get that Maxspect wanted to create a controller but they could have saved a crapton of money by converting their signal to PWM and releasing tidal patterns while probably reducing the overall product cost. Look at the price difference between a XF-250 with and without controller for an example.

I have both Apex and a Reef Angel controller. Prior to my tank upgrade I was running a pair of Jabeao RW4's (later upgrade them to RW8's). I bought a DIY cable from Reef Angel, connected the Jabeao's, and then used the custom libraries that comes with it and was able to do tidal, sunrise, sunset, and a slew of other wave patters - including sync and anti-sync - and nutrient export modes. The cable was 20 or so dollars. Buying two was less than 60 bucks. I'm sorry - but Maxspect, while a pretty good product that moves a metric ton of water with reverse paddle concept aside - this is a huge missed opportunity.

Anyway rant aside - look at what you want to do, what that goal is, required interconnect(s), price of said interconnect, and see if it makes sense. I do not know what the next version of the gyres is going to come with by default since they are not released in the US.

Note: I have a pair of XF-250's in case it sounds like I am bashing them. They are good - I just fine their controller interect choice, well, lame.

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second what @CC13 noted. Maxspect XF-230 and XF-250 are the only models in the US that can be controlled by the Apex. You are required to buy a ice cap interface module for "EACH" gyre you want to control. Let me repeat that last little bit of info often overlooked. You will need a converter module for each gyre. They run about 100 bucks a pop...

Here is my take on it. I am personally tired of each manufactor releasing their own dongle, controller, or web app to control their device rather than focus on a interconnect for the signal or more common controller ecosystems out such has Neptune or GHL I get that Maxspect wanted to create a controller but they could have saved a crapton of money by converting their signal to PWM and releasing tidal patterns while probably reducing the overall product cost. Look at the price difference between a XF-250 with and without controller for an example.

I have both Apex and a Reef Angel controller. Prior to my tank upgrade I was running a pair of Jabeao RW4's (later upgrade them to RW8's). I bought a DIY cable from Reef Angel, connected the Jabeao's, and then used the custom libraries that comes with it and was able to do tidal, sunrise, sunset, and a slew of other wave patters - including sync and anti-sync - and nutrient export modes. The cable was 20 or so dollars. Buying two was less than 60 bucks. I'm sorry - but Maxspect, while a pretty good product that moves a metric ton of water with reverse paddle concept aside - this is a huge missed opportunity.

Anyway rant aside - look at what you want to do, what that goal is, required interconnect(s), price of said interconnect, and see if it makes sense. I do not know what the next version of the gyres is going to come with by default since they are not released in the US.

Note: I have a pair of XF-250's in case it sounds like I am bashing them. They are good - I just fine their controller interect choice, well, lame.
I switched to MP40s with a wxm for this exact Reason.
I do still have a gyre backup battery and interface module for the 150/250

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my take on it. I am personally tired of each manufactor releasing their own dongle, controller, or web app to control their device rather than focus on a interconnect for the signal or more common controller ecosystems out such has Neptune or GHL I get that Maxspect wanted to create a controller but they could have saved a crapton of money by converting their signal to PWM and releasing tidal patterns while probably reducing the overall product cost. Look at the price difference between a XF-250 with and without controller for an example

I could not agree more. I refuse to buy products that lock me in, and it’s actually the main reason when it came for me to decide to rebuild my gyres after a year of use or buy different pumps, I decided to buy new Tunze pumps.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 xf250’s

Super easy controller and when you combine the controller and the ability to have each side of a gyre run in opposite directions, crazy random flow is possible.

I will never have an apex, so I’m glad maxspect has their own great controller.

CC13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 xf250’s

Super easy controller and when you combine the controller and the ability to have each side of a gyre run in opposite directions, crazy random flow is possible.

I will never have an apex, so I’m glad maxspect has their own great controller.

I agree that the flow is pretty good, but there are more drawbacks than positives in my opinion. I would also disagree that the controller is easy to use especially when you want to setup deferent flow patterns on specific time setpoints. It’s actuakly very difficult to use unless it’s outside of the controller set patterns which is very limited.

The gyres also require a lot more maintenance to maintain than a more conventional pump (Tunze or Vortech)

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not promoting on or the other here. Just sharing my experience with gyres.

I’m not tech savvy and I find it very easy to program whatever I want through out the day.

I’m running opposite cages on the gyres. So as they alternate between forward and reverse, one side is always moving water forward and it’s the opposite for the gyre on the other side of the tank

I’m not comparing maintenance as I’ve had MP’s before. They are faster and easier.

For the gyre, I simply remove from the tank, pop off the 2 base pieces. Remove the 2 cages. Install the 2 spare cages. Reassemble the base. Back in the tank. Less than 5 minutes. 10 minutes to do both.

I then soak the cages I removed in a vinegar solution overnight, 5 minutes with a bottle cleaner and a toothbrush and let dry.

Repeat in a couple months.

I also have a Tunze from my last tank which is great too.

They are all good.

But what you can do in a tank with a pair of gyres, nothing compares for the price.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option (and what i did) is to use whatever programming function that comes with the gyre. For me, the MP40 and Radion lights are controlled through reeflink. Then plug the gyre into the Apex and set that outlet to “always on.”

U

User1

View Badges

I’m not tech savvy and I find it very easy to program whatever I want through out the day.

I’m running opposite cages on the gyres. So as they alternate between forward and reverse, one side is always moving water forward and it’s the opposite for the gyre on the other side of the tank

I’m not comparing maintenance as I’ve had MP’s before. They are faster and easier.

For the gyre, I simply remove from the tank, pop off the 2 base pieces. Remove the 2 cages. Install the 2 spare cages. Reassemble the base. Back in the tank. Less than 5 minutes. 10 minutes to do both.

I then soak the cages I removed in a vinegar solution overnight, 5 minutes with a bottle cleaner and a toothbrush and let dry.

They are all good.

But what you can do in a tank with a pair of gyres, nothing compares for the price.

Interesting to note about the cages - a lot of users forget that in order to use the built in OGC (Oceanic Gyre Cycle) properly they need to swap and use the forward and reverse paddle / cage paddles. @pelphrey had a thread talking about the controller if you haven't seen it. Raises a great point that the flows and power of the gyre will need to be changed has the reef tank matures (coral growth and new additions). I thought he did a good job. Also I believe that there is a firmware (depending on when purchased) update that increases the font on the controller to make it easier to read.

Still - they get a poo emoji because they released a new product that isn't necessarily backward compatible with "their own controller". I'm actually debating about selling my pair and moving towards another product. The only thing that hasn't yet is that my tank (rock) has been maturing since April of 18 so there isn't really a lot of new corals that I've introduced outside bringing what I had in my 40 breeder has part of the upgrade.

Here is the post here discussing setup.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/f...-controller-standing-wave-programming.357999/

Jrod381

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They are all good.

min not very familiar with the maxspect gyres, I have them and would like to run the oceanic cycle. Can you provide a pic of how the cages you speak are to be set

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 36 29.8%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 17.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 32 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back