Maxspect Gyre owners roll call

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Makers Marc What do you feel is the benefit of bypassing maxpects controller. Personally, I would avoid putting my eggs in all one basket.
It's more about the fact that I already bought the new Apex and will be using it for everything on my system, so why not? That's kind of why I am asking yall and hoping someone gives me a compelling reason not too.

Fiscally, it costs roughly $100 more if I go the APEX route. At this point in my build, that's immaterial unfortunately.

caver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So much great info saving up to join the club

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two XF230s on my 90g. I run them 100% forward and reverse for 8 seconds in alternating mode. Very happy with them.

WDKegge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a single 230 on the new controller in a 55 gallon and the power honestly seems pretty weak to me and the pump is quite loud above 60%. Am I the only one with this issue?

OP
OP
aeras1131

aeras1131

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gyre has two dc cages and the motors are controller with pwn. Short answer no, The volume about ~60-70% is is not overly loud, but it becomes higher pitched. I would argue if it was a low burble at that same db level. It would not cut through the other equipment noise. Overall, my skimmer in my system is much louder then my gyre, but the gyre's sound is much higher pitched at that speed. I don't mind running the pump at high speed personally. I just use cycle mode and build turbulence in the tank when I run at higher speeds. If I ran my forward and reverse gyre flows at 100%. I think I would rip my cynarina off the plug. The rip current these gyres make are quite strong.

OP
OP
aeras1131

aeras1131

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@billwill how do you about the current generated by your two xf230s and your standard 90 aquarium. Do you feel that the flow generated is superfluous?

mgreenough

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 xf250 on my 180 gallon with the new controller running in LTC (lunar tidal cycle) mode maxing out at 80%. I find there ate still a couple of dead spots in the back corners of the tank probably down to the rockwork placement. I use an extra power head that runs for 4 hours a day to stir up the dead spots.

OP
OP
aeras1131

aeras1131

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Makers Marc As stated in the Thread earlier the Apex controller will only be able to turn the gyre on and off, Maxspect Gyre controller is going to be where the magic happens ;) I agree with @landlubber follow the K.I.S.S. principle.

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 xf250 on my 180 gallon with the new controller running in LTC (lunar tidal cycle) mode maxing out at 80%. I find there ate still a couple of dead spots in the back corners of the tank probably down to the rockwork placement. I use an extra power head that runs for 4 hours a day to stir up the dead spots.
How many lbs of rock do you have? I would think based on videos that you would have enough

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Makers Marc As stated in the Thread earlier the Apex controller will only be able to turn the gyre on and off, Maxspect Gyre controller is going to be where the magic happens ;)
That is so incorrect. There are videos and postings on ppl programming their Gyres with the Apex.

OP
OP
aeras1131

aeras1131

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fore Word, I do not have an apex controller. I am a GHL controller man myself :D Please take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

mgreenough

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many lbs of rock do you have? I would think based on videos that you would have enough
Not sure on how much, but the LTC mode ramps up and down throughout the day so you get periods of low flow (but still random). I get settlement due to some rocks being too close to the back and side causing low flow behind the rocks.

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on how much, but the LTC mode ramps up and down throughout the day so you get periods of low flow (but still random). I get settlement due to some rocks being too close to the back and side causing low flow behind the rocks.
I plan on programming mine to run 5 minutes gyre#1 on straight high flow. 5 minutes gyre #2. Then 5 minutes both on high as well. Should clear any dead spots.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 x 130 old controller

amazongb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one I'd like to sell. It worked well, but the interface was too much for me so I switched to an MP40.. I also didn't like that the power cord was inside the tank and with the Mp40 it's magnetic and outside. The flow on both are excellent.

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@billwill how do you about the current generated by your two xf230s and your standard 90 aquarium. Do you feel that the flow generated is superfluous?

I’m pretty much all sps, with a few lps here and there. Pretty old tank, so I don’t get sand storms in the corners. And the short times on each end keep from too much flow

OP
OP
aeras1131

aeras1131

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@billwill Interesting I will have to consider this in the future. I run a carbon pellet reactor low nutrient tank. I have no cruft in my tank at all. Everyone said this product kicked up junk, and my tank basically told me that it was super on point cause zero crap was kicked up initially.

john472

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ice cap 3k vs a 75gal. Only on 40% in wave mode. One pointed up for surface agitation and the other side down at 45 degree angle for flow. Two 3k pumps with a wave maker only 145$?, yes please! Yellow tang uses the flow for a exercise machine.

minepic 096.jpg

Back