Maxspect Gyre settings

Lesley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Lesley....I found out why I could not see/feel the pulse when I set it. Evidentially if you are running a water speed of only 10%, the pulse does nothing. The gyre is not capable of going any slower than 10% :-( If I was running a water speed of 20%, it would slow down to 10% during the pulse cycle.
. Oh ok that makes sense. Can you run at 20% or is that too much flow ?

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. Oh ok that makes sense. Can you run at 20% or is that too much flow ?

Unfortunately that will be too much flow.....the 10% is perfect since I have a bunch lf LPS in addition to a few SPS. That should probably be in the manual that pulse mode can only be used at 20% and up. Oh well :sad:

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well its simple really. The constant mode blows water in a constant flow in one direction which means coral that have extended polyps all blow in the same direction constantly (not natural ocean movement).
The pulsing mode gives you surges of water, so when when the weak push is then followed by a strong push the water moves back and forth in surges. On the weak push your corals have time to sort of float their tentacles back in the other direction before the strong surge pushes them the other way again. The shorter the sec between the pulse mode the more your corals move back and forth, the longer between pulse mode allows the corals to spend 10 secs in one direction and 10 secs in the other direction.
P.S We run A & B paddles on both the gyers. So both push forward.

Question, you said you run the A & B Paddles, isn't that the ones that come standard installed?

Lesley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, you said you run the A & B Paddles, isn't that the ones that come standard installed?
Nope. When we got ours it was 2 x A paddles installed. One a forward and reverse.
We don't find the reverse is very good and wanted the 2 paddles punching the surface as we have a 2.5 wide tank.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running the Gyre since they first started shipping, and funny enough haven't change the mode since about a day after installing it. On my 100G Half Cylinder (In the right hand corner, in Vertically) I have it set at about 50% ultra slow pulse. I am gaining interest in trying out the front and reverse mode though. Heck.. now that I am thinking about it, if it wasn't for the fact that I am about to go to bed I'd probably do it now. :lol:

MikeyB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine on the right side of my tank facing left towards my overflow on a slow pulse running 60% power. I switched out the paddles and tried out the reverse, but i didnt like it as much as what i have running now.

Last edited:

Djtonton

Saltwater Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how low or high is it supposed to be in the tank. i have mine maybe 3-4 inches from the top seems to push a good amount of water but I'm not sure its hitting the corals in the middle of my tank i have a 265 with 2 gyres i have both of them at the top in pulsing mode. not sure if i should move one lower down maybe in the middle of the tank?

hotnickz07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, can i run alternating mode with A/B paddles? Or they have to be the same

ktigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to bring up old news, but I just purchased a single 250 for my 110g tall reef. Even at 10%, my long tentacle plate is hating it. He's on the sandbed more toward the left side of the tank. It's too strong for him. Any input? I have put it vertical, on the right side glass. I reversed the intake (which I didn't realize until after the fact). Will it benefit me to reverse the output (and fix the input tomorrow to forward position). Most videos are only helpful if you have two units. Vertical seemed to be less violent on the plate coral.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 250's on a 180 fish only. They are mounted at each end. I have mine running opposite each other. While one is ramping up to 100% the other is ramping up backward back & forth I think it's at 15 or 20 second intervals.
Great flow in my OP.

ktigs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about getting a second unit for more control of the currents, but I have one for the mean time. It definitely pushes enough water.

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I thought about getting a second unit for more control of the currents, but I have one for the mean time. It definitely pushes enough water.

If you want to create random flow which will not irritate the plate, I would suggest three things:
1) position the gyre at an angle. Not vertical or hortizpntal but at angle.
2) keep the two sides of the gyre in opposite directions and
3) chose alternating flow...which will really be pushing on one side at a time...

This should create random flow and in opposite directions to avoid blasting in one direction only.

Hope that helped.

Sam

Shoob1e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you guys recommend for a red sea 250? Ive had it on pulsing 6sec with max of 30% and the flow seems to much, its even making a small whirlpool right in the,middle where the waves meet. In not getting any knock down on detritus off my rocks or sand bed which seems wierd.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back