Maxspect Gyre settings

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you running the new Gyre, what settings are you using? Please list tanks size, type, placement, and Gyre settings. I am running it horizontal continuous at 10% on a 60 gallon mixed reef but I feel like I am not using it to its' potential. Anybody running pulse or alternating mode or anything other than continuous?

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a Gyre on my newly set up 180... It is on the left side glass...set up vertically about 2" off the fromt glass... I am running pulse setting right from the factory at about 50%. I have a ton of flow.

Lesley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 300g Peninsular. I rung two they are at either end of the tank 1 on 40% pulsing every .4 seconds pushing towards the weir and the other one at the weir end on 30% pulsing every .4 sec pushing away from the weir. I found without the pulsing mode all my corals were blowing in the once direction, now they ALL sway back and forth nicely. Its more like a random flow I used to get with the 4 tuzes I used to run.

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies....I was also concerned about pushing a lot of water towards the overflow but it didn't seem to affect my system at all. I would like to stop everything from blowing in one direction so I think I will give the pulse mode a try. You wouldn't think a .4 seconds pulse would do much but it appears it does.

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be a stupid question, but what benefit does pulse mode (on any water mover) give you? To me, it doesn't seem any different than constant on mode but not as strong?

Lesley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be a stupid question, but what benefit does pulse mode (on any water mover) give you? To me, it doesn't seem any different than constant on mode but not as strong?
Well its simple really. The constant mode blows water in a constant flow in one direction which means coral that have extended polyps all blow in the same direction constantly (not natural ocean movement).
The pulsing mode gives you surges of water, so when when the weak push is then followed by a strong push the water moves back and forth in surges. On the weak push your corals have time to sort of float their tentacles back in the other direction before the strong surge pushes them the other way again. The shorter the sec between the pulse mode the more your corals move back and forth, the longer between pulse mode allows the corals to spend 10 secs in one direction and 10 secs in the other direction.
P.S We run A & B paddles on both the gyers. So both push forward.

Last edited:

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Lesley said. The pulse kinda adds some turbulence to the tank that you don't have with constant.

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, that makes sense. When on Pulse mode, does the unit physically shut off during the pause or does it continue but with a weaker push of water? I held my hand in front of it and couldn't really tell the difference between the pulses.

Lesley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, that makes sense. When on Pulse mode, does the unit physically shut off during the pause or does it continue but with a weaker push of water? I held my hand in front of it and couldn't really tell the difference between the pulses.
O If you have it closer to the surface (just for checking) and stand back you can see the surge of water happening. Make sure when your watching it, it is breaking the surface of the water and it becomes very obvious. I always turn them down to constant 10% at night for sleeping fish and corals have time to catch and feed. Then back up to pulse in the morning.

Here is a video of our old tank running 1 Gyer on 30% pulse. If you watch the surface of the water in the beginning carefully you will see the pulsing action. About 3 weeks ago we upgraded to a 300g and hence the reason we now needed 2, as wasnt getting the movement on the far end with just the one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O1hE05Koio

Last edited:
OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, based on the video, it doesn't completely shut off....it appears to just weaken during the pulse. Beautiful Gonis by the way. :bigsmile:

Lesley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, based on the video, it doesn't completely shut off....it appears to just weaken during the pulse. Beautiful Gonis by the way. :bigsmile:
Thats why i showed you, i dont totally understand it myself, it ddoesn'tappear to shut off, it maybe just weakens, i am not really sure. But it def gives you much better action on your corals. Yeah I love my gonis. I am known around here by LFS as the "crasy goni lady" lol. Thanks

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have to put it on the side glass. Can it be put on the back glass or would it not work.. can you make it make waves.

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have to put it on the side glass. Can it be put on the back glass or would it not work.. can you make it make waves.

Yes, you can mount it anywhere you want......unless you have more than one though, it wouldn't make sense to put it on the back glass. You can also direct the flow to wherever you want....most people point it towards the surface. The higher up you mount it, the stronger the gyre that is created (at least that is what I was told my the CoralVue rep).

Lesley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waters is correct. The higher it's placed to stronger the flow Back if tank with just one wouldn't work so well because the other side if the tanks wouldn't get any flow. ! Unless you had a 50cm wide tank I suppose try it & see ?

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 300g Peninsular. I rung two they are at either end of the tank 1 on 40% pulsing every .4 seconds pushing towards the weir and the other one at the weir end on 30% pulsing every .4 sec pushing away from the weir. I found without the pulsing mode all my corals were blowing in the once direction, now they ALL sway back and forth nicely. Its more like a random flow I used to get with the 4 tuzes I used to run.
How did you adjust it to .4 seconds? I've got one gyre now. Haven't got to mess with it a whole lot as I haven't got my 180 set completely up. But I'm getting a second one after reading this. I want to do the same thing for my 180 6x2x2.

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you adjust it to .4 seconds? I've got one gyre now. Haven't got to mess with it a whole lot as I haven't got my 180 set completely up. But I'm getting a second one after reading this. I want to do the same thing for my 180 6x2x2.

.4 seconds is one of the 20 possible pulse settings I believe.

Lesley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
go to pulse mode, hit settings button to get green light in middle - set speed you want - setting button (so still green ) - wait a few sec lights start flashing - move dial as far to the left as possible (until you see it flashing really really fast ) - hit settings again (so green light off ) the furthermost to the left is the min setting at .4 seconds . Hope this helps

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Lesley....I found out why I could not see/feel the pulse when I set it. Evidentially if you are running a water speed of only 10%, the pulse does nothing. The gyre is not capable of going any slower than 10% :-( If I was running a water speed of 20%, it would slow down to 10% during the pulse cycle.

Last edited:

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I run mine at alternating...for reasons mentioned above, i do not like the other two flows where the water only goes in one direction. with three other WP40 and one gyre in alternating mode running at 70% (in both forward and reverse mode), i have a great random flow in the tank...

Sam.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back