Maxspect gyre settings

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What settings does everyone use for their dual gyres? I just started running random up to 100% I looked at the LTC but it seemed the pumps were mostly running at 20 an 30%. is LTC similar to an mp40 on reef crest? I have an sps dominated mixed reef 90 gallon 48 long display.

ReefRy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had my 110 gallon I ran a gyre that alternated slowly, got some of the most extended frog spawn I have ever seen with the night linear flow. I had another 75ish Gal tank I used for frags that I did just opposing random random and it worked great .

Today on my 167gal I use two XF250s at 100% Random. Wish I could set a bottom on them like never do less then 40% to help them hit the high end 80+ more often.

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had my 110 gallon I ran a gyre that alternated slowly, got some of the most extended frog spawn I have ever seen with the night linear flow. I had another 75ish Gal tank I used for frags that I did just opposing random random and it worked great .

Today on my 167gal I use two XF250s at 100% Random. Wish I could set a bottom on them like never do less then 40% to help them hit the high end 80+ more often.
That's exactly what I wish the random mode had.

wcharon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using one on Random mode and the other on pulse on my 6' 125gallon and really love it.

Give it a try.

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same size tank, a 4 ft 90gal. I am using 2 x 230s set to anti sync. They are set to 10 second gradual pulse up to 100%. So they alternate starting at 10% each pulse goes up 10% then back 10% steps down once they hit 100. Seems to keep everything stirred up and my sand stays in place for the most part.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both sides random 100% but I find I HAVE to clean them monthly as the flow really suffers quickly. This is my biggest complaint with the latest designs; they really fall off as they get slightly coated with sludge.

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both sides random 100% but I find I HAVE to clean them monthly as the flow really suffers quickly. This is my biggest complaint with the latest designs; they really fall off as they get slightly coated with sludge.
I haven't tried the new ones, but my 250 is like that. I clean them weekly during water changes.

U

User1

View Badges
One thing to know with one of the built in flow patterns - I thought it was OGC, or if you run a manual mode using ramp down/reverse is that you need to swap the blades for it to work properly. If you leave the blades as is it will spin but not move much water.

Also not sure if you have seen this yet but this is a good video on setting up flow patterns on the gyres. Older models but should still work. One thing again on reverse you need to set the cage proper as well. I set a pretty good water stream down the back wall that moved most of my sand all over the place where I didn't want it :)

Edit: correct link

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 350s aren’t currently working. I love then when they are, and coralvue customer service has been good trying to help me get it resolved, but so far no luck. They’ve sent new pump mirrors, which didn’t fix it. So then they tell me they have a know controller problem, but they have no way to identify the good from the bad. So they send me a new controller and the back aluminum panel is smashed in. Does not appear to be shoooinf damage. All in all, I love the function of gyres and want to stick with it, but I’m about to switch to something else that works.

@Jeff@CoralVue I’m about ready to pack it all up and just ship it all back. It’s been an ongoing struggle.

rusgum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. Many people complain about episodes 2 and 3. The 1st series has been working for me for the 6th year. Probably they began to save on something, and recently many companies have been noticed in this.

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. Many people complain about episodes 2 and 3. The 1st series has been working for me for the 6th year. Probably they began to save on something, and recently many companies have been noticed in this.

On year 4-5 of the same XF250 Gyres with no parts changed, just cleaned every month/quarter depending on how they look. I was going to upgrade to the 300's until I read the reviews.

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought the Hydros Wave engine and am not disappointed. It's breathed new life in my XF250 gyres compared to using the advanced stock controller. The random mode on the waveengine is much more aggressive and you can set a higher bottom end. Being able to create specific schedule to stir up the tank for cleaning is awesome too.

schriss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought the Hydros Wave engine and am not disappointed. It's breathed new life in my XF250 gyres compared to using the advanced stock controller. The random mode on the waveengine is much more aggressive and you can set a higher bottom end. Being able to create specific schedule to stir up the tank for cleaning is awesome too.
I use Maxspect ICV6 controller with mobile app, allows for full custom modes + schedules.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back