Maxspect Gyre XF230 minimum flow rate?

Stopdown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I'm building a tank after a long-absence from the hobby and am interested in the Gyre's. The tank is a TMC 900 (35"x18"x18"; 47gallons) with sump, t5 lighting, BubbleMagus (maybe the Maxspect 9004 if I can fit it in my sump). I intend to keep a friendly reef, and to eventually introduce some LPL's and SPL's.

I'm trying to design a quiet system. I read that the devices can be a bit noisy at 70% or more, but I assume I'll get excellent flow from the smallest Gyre at no-more than 30%-40%. What is the minimum flow rate for the XF230? I read the maximum flow rate is 2000-2300 gph.

One of the options that appeals to me is the preset cycles. I recall reading that the Ocean Gyre Cycle won't work with one pump (makes sense), but does the Lunar Tidal Cycle require two pumps? Will it perform with just one? If it does, how does using a Gyre XF230 at less than 50% impact the flow-rate of the programmed modes?

Meaning, if I set the Gyre for 50% maximum (cutting the max flow rate in half), do the pre-programmed modes account for this and ramp-down output during the lower values of the timeline expressed in the chart here: http://blog.marinedepot.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Capture-12.png. I can see where that would result in a flow-rate that is too low for significant
times during the day for healthy corals when using only one pump.

I'm thinking the Gyre XF230 may be more pump than I need, most of the reviews I'm finding use them in tanks that are longer than mine. However, I'm very interested to hear your experiences with the device in 50-gallon (+-) tanks. Thanks much for your input!

-J

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back