Maxspect Gyres are trash!!!

Andrew Mc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Jecod Cross Flow CP-25 runs to this very day. Sold all the parts to the 2 broken XF-130s on eBay. I forgot how silly the packaging was for those trash gyres. Metal tins, like some good scotch...

Whiskeyboy84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a theory on why our favorite reefing equipment brands have been lacking in quality here recently. So first I have a pair of XF-280’s that have been running at 95% intensity for the last 5.5 years with only the occasional acid bath. I feel like any piece of equipment built after the peak of the pandemic is substandard due to lack of labor and quality control. So I have been buying a lot of my equipment for my new build secondhand and looking for power heads that were produced before 2020.

daddykoolz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion/experience with Maxspect Gyres and CoralVue.

I purchased 5 of these pumps (with three separate controllers).

Every single pump has had issues with clogging (sometimes within days of being given an acid bath)

Two of the controllers have lost power to one of the two pumps they are supposed to control. Even if you contact them within warranty, they will not help you with an ongoing issue the persists beyond the warranty period and expect you to pay for shipping, etc. etc.

The bushings they supply are very low grade and VERY QUICKLY build up and clog. This then causes the rubber boots to wear down because the bushings just spin inside the rubber boots. This effectively makes it so that the rubber boots are the new "bushings", and you can imagine how fast they wear down.

The customer service at this place (CoralVue is their umbrella company name) is absolutely trash.

There are very few companies that I flat out refuse to every buy anything from every again in my life, but this is CLEARLY one of them.

I have already wasted countless hours cleaning, replacing, fixing, etc these pumps, so please don't ask me to waste any more of my life posting pictures. I have looked at these gyres from all aspects (mechanically, chemically, and many other possibilities) that I could think of, and the only conclusion is that THEY ARE TRASH!!! DO NOT GIVE THIS COMPANY YOUR MONEY!!!

daddykoolz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion/experience with Maxspect Gyres and CoralVue.

I purchased 5 of these pumps (with three separate controllers).

Every single pump has had issues with clogging (sometimes within days of being given an acid bath)

Two of the controllers have lost power to one of the two pumps they are supposed to control. Even if you contact them within warranty, they will not help you with an ongoing issue the persists beyond the warranty period and expect you to pay for shipping, etc. etc.

The bushings they supply are very low grade and VERY QUICKLY build up and clog. This then causes the rubber boots to wear down because the bushings just spin inside the rubber boots. This effectively makes it so that the rubber boots are the new "bushings", and you can imagine how fast they wear down.

The customer service at this place (CoralVue is their umbrella company name) is absolutely trash.

There are very few companies that I flat out refuse to every buy anything from every again in my life, but this is CLEARLY one of them.

I have already wasted countless hours cleaning, replacing, fixing, etc these pumps, so please don't ask me to waste any more of my life posting pictures. I have looked at these gyres from all aspects (mechanically, chemically, and many other possibilities) that I could think of, and the only conclusion is that THEY ARE TRASH!!! DO NOT GIVE THIS COMPANY YOUR MONEY!!!
I use to owned this GF4K, initially the first 6mth was good, but after 6mth nightmare start...I must say not the best & I won't recommend,
1st time happened, the motor died, they replace me a new set, 1 for 1 exchange,
then power adapter burn smoke come out, they replace new one....
then, had to get the O'ring replace many times for the impeller, it keep on breaking, the worst part after 1 year use, one side was working normal & the other side move slow, had it repaired few times, but sill the same...
in the end, I decided to use my old jebao wm which is much more reliable, maxspect design is sleek very cool looking , not cheap for wave maker/ crossflow, imo. not everything from maxspect are good..

Last edited:

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to owned this GF4K, initially the first 6mth was good, but after 6mth nightmare start...I must say not the best & I won't recommend,
1st time happened, the motor died, they replace me a new set, 1 for 1 exchange,
then power adapter burn smoke come out, they replace new one....
then, had to get the O'ring replace many times for the impeller, it keep on breaking, the worst part after 1 year use, one side was working normal & the other side move slow, had it repaired few times, but sill the same...
in the end, I decided to use my old jebao wm which is much more reliable, maxspect design is sleek very cool looking , not cheap for wave maker/ crossflow, imo. not everything from maxspect are good..
no question the maintenance is the gyres biggest shortcoming. the flow they create is impressive but there's not a whole lot to say positively about them once they're no longer clean and produce less flow every day you don't

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 47 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back