May we please discuss seam breaks in 2-3 yr tanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke yesterday (as of the time of writing) with a man who also owns a redsea. His aquarium (seam) is also starting to let go from the front. For some odd reason he's not alarmed by it, and is actually willing to buy the G2.
The G2/G2+ does have improvements - I just don't know to what extent (compared to the changes they made with the 750/850/900/1000). I know it has the corner bracing now.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My 4 year old 525XL has two areas where the front seam is giving out. One at 6 inches and the other at 8 inches. Oh decisions... :anxious-face-with-sweat:
Screenshot_1.png
I would immediately (as quickly as able) contact RedSea - and show them the pictures - additionally consider draining the tank, etc

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the info on the new G2 tanks
Yes, I am familiar with all the talking points - I just don't know what specific improvements from a reliability standpoint apply to the 525XL (now 525). At one point Red Sea's website had a list of all the G1»G2 improvements, but with the phase-out of the G1models I can't find this anymore.

For instance, I know that glass thickness was increased on some models (not sure about the 525, but I know the 625 saw a bump) and that corner bracing was added to most sides on most models. I don't know if the 525 G2 has the aluminum strut like the 625 G2, corner bracing on all 4 corners like the 750 G1/G2 or whether the stand has been reinforced with the aluminum strut found on the 625 G2. The 750/900 (and I'm assuming 850/1000?) also have a 1/8" aluminum strip that runs the length of the stand to reinforce the front of the glass so while it still appears "floating" it's actually supported.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, I am familiar with all the talking points - I just don't know what specific improvements from a reliability standpoint apply to the 525XL (now 525). At one point Red Sea's website had a list of all the G1»G2 improvements, but with the phase-out of the G1models I can't find this anymore.

For instance, I know that glass thickness was increased on some models (not sure about the 525, but I know the 625 saw a bump) and that corner bracing was added to most sides on most models. I don't know if the 525 G2 has the aluminum strut like the 625 G2, corner bracing on all 4 corners like the 750 G1/G2 or whether the stand has been reinforced with the aluminum strut found on the 625 G2. The 750/900 (and I'm assuming 850/1000?) also have a 1/8" aluminum strip that runs the length of the stand to reinforce the front of the glass so while it still appears "floating" it's actually supported.
The implication from BRS - is that the improvements were made to all of the tanks. That said - I would not guess that a 13 gallon tank would have 1 inch glass. :) I.e. I think this BRS list - is listing all of the 'fixes' for all of the tanks.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The implication from BRS - is that the improvements were made to all of the tanks. That said - I would not guess that a 13 gallon tank would have 1 inch glass. :) I.e. I think this BRS list - is listing all of the 'fixes' for all of the tanks.
Yeah, it's somewhat misleading. I poured through all the stats and what I can tell you is that any G2/G2+ Reefer tank from the 550 on up won't give you any sleepless nights - along with the new Reefer Peninsula line.

These feature:
* Thicker glass (mostly on the smaller tanks)
* Plywood or aluminum stands (where applicable)
* Additional aluminium struts/bracing (where applicable)
* Corner bracing (all seams)
* Floating tank aluminium support (front/sides where applicable)
* Euro bracing (where applicable)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, it's somewhat misleading. I poured through all the stats and what I can tell you is that any G2/G2+ Reefer tank from the 550 on up won't give you any sleepless nights - along with the new Reefer Peninsula line.

These feature:
* Thicker glass (mostly on the smaller tanks)
* Plywood or aluminum stands (where applicable)
* Additional aluminium struts/bracing (where applicable)
* Corner bracing (all seams)
* Floating tank aluminium support (front/sides where applicable)
* Euro bracing (where applicable)
So - it seems they have covered all of the issues (some of the smaller tanks did not overhang the front, etc) right?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So - it seems they have covered all of the issues (some of the smaller tanks did not overhang the front, etc) right?
Yeah. The 625/750/900 with plywood stands all have an aluminium front lip to support the glass (not sure about the two new smaller peninsula tanks). All the aluminium stands (6 tank models) appear to have the aluminium support lip on the front and sides (couldn't confirm but appears so in the images).

Any plywood stands from the 550 on up gets an aluminium support strut (3 doors). All the aluminium stands (3 or 4 doors) have 1-2 additional aluminium support struts.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree they’ve likely made improvements / agreed

any company will modify design and improve based on outcome stats

the fail is in their attempt to squelch discussion when it interfered with sales by deleting all legit Facebook posts on the matter

the fail is them not proactively reaching out to 100% of g1 owners, hundreds of thousands of them on file, and preemptively replacing with free g3‘s with free sumps and stands and rollermats thrown in for unknowingly being red seas beta tester for early tank iterations

making web forum posters have to assemble and collate and put pressure on Red Sea and list how they were banned for the mere mention has exposed a company for what they are when the chips are challenged. I would never, ever ever own a Red Sea tank of any generation. I won’t forget those who got burned. Red Sea must find a way to forget or downplay the words of those who got burned to keep up the sales inflow and focus on the new designs-well reinforced.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the number one thing that would redeem Red Sea in my eyes is for them to reach out to first generation owners right now, and preemptively exchange them for equal gallonage reinforced tanks. Stand included: stand variation during custom fits was blamed on hundreds of seam breaks, so rs must match a stand with each tank preemptively sent. This means unless Red Sea elects to freely replace (rs pays shipping) all g1 iteration owners, this is seeming like a company sitting back, watching a known failed production lot play out and simply trying to lessen the degree of discussion

I won’t think that when seam breaks are allowed to be mentioned in pattern on red seas social media sites. Fair and open evaluation dialog reinforces product validity

we can’t get the blogs to mention any of the truth, the failures had to be collected on forum threads to let the market have a fair chance at evaluation.

I have no doubt they can quickly learn from this production lot of concern feedback, and produce strong sealed new tank designs

to regain trust in current buyers market: replace those g1s

by Email: hey red sea owner, we’d like to thank you for your business. in response to recall production lot #3444, we’d like to issue you a new matching g3 800L aquarium with matching stand. Please respond here so we can verify purchase history and begin paid shipping coordination

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the number one thing that would redeem Red Sea in my eyes is for them to reach out to first generation owners right now, and preemptively exchange them for equal gallonage reinforced tanks. Stand included: stand variation during custom fits was blamed on hundreds of seam breaks, so rs must match a stand with each tank preemptively sent. This means unless Red Sea elects to freely replace (rs pays shipping) all g1 iteration owners, this is seeming like a company sitting back, watching a known failed production lot play out and simply trying to lessen the degree of discussion

I won’t think that when seam breaks are allowed to be mentioned in pattern on red seas social media sites. Fair and open evaluation dialog reinforces product validity

we can’t get the blogs to mention any of the truth, the failures had to be collected on forum threads to let the market have a fair chance at evaluation.

I have no doubt they can quickly learn from this production lot of concern feedback, and produce strong sealed new tank designs

to regain trust in current buyers market: replace those g1s

by Email: hey red sea owner, we’d like to thank you for your business. in response to recall production lot #3444, we’d like to issue you a new matching g3 800L aquarium with matching stand. Please respond here so we can verify purchase history and begin paid shipping coordination
You're right, they could do this - but there is no way any company would do that. Let's pretend that the failure rate is 2%. There are many people who have had these tanks for years including many LFS. Some people have had issues within a year or shorter.

I'm sorry I don't get it - in one post you say 'people should never buy a RedSea tank - but in the next post you suggest the way to solve the alleged problem is to give out new tanks to everyone with a G1 Tank. IMHO - that plan does not make sense.

I wish they would comment on the situation, somehow, and come out with a program that for people that have x type of leak, they will supply a new system + some money for lost inhabitants. Replacing every G1 tank out there would bankrupt the company

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Red Sea would shut the doors before going through all that. It would bankrupt them to replace EVERY SINGLE G1 tank.

Replacing those that contact them after a leak is their only option. Suppressing all posts and speech about the leaks is the main issue. The second issue is they have proven inept at understanding basic principles of building an aquarium.

Reefin' Alaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Red Sea would shut the doors before going through all that. It would bankrupt them to replace EVERY SINGLE G1 tank.

Replacing those that contact them after a leak is their only option. Suppressing all posts and speech about the leaks is the main issue. The second issue is they have proven inept at understanding basic principles of building an aquarium.

This.

I worked at an LFS during college, I graduated in May. I managed inventory for over 3 years and in that time we ordered about 140 Red Sea tanks. From Nano's to at least 2 1000's. that I remember. We didn't carry RS tanks, but we did carry Red Sea products, and ordered tanks on request. The shop wasn't big enough to display a bunch of them, and the owner didn't want them filling up his garage. So, ordering was his way of selling tanks. Whatever, so be it.

I was also a customer of Red Sea. My roommate and I ordered 300XL's the same day in Oct 2021. They both split in the same month, April 2023. His blew out the seam, luckily mine peeled and I saw the sand in it, and it never broke. They were 13 serial numbers apart. Red Sea replaced them with complete systems.

During that time at the LFS, and besides our tanks that split, there were 5 others that we knew of. A 250, 300XL, 450, and 2 750's. I had heard one of the 1000's we sold split, but the guy never came in. Red Sea also replaced on lady's tank out of warranty if she paid shipping.

The guy at RS who replaced that also told me that the number of people who actually register these tanks is quite low.

My issue with Red Sea has always been suppressing a clear problem, even if the problem is very small - and the fact now every tank people buy there will always be that stigma. I wish they would address the elephant in the room. I have not seen or heard of a single G2 or G2+ that has split, personally. That old roommate has a 900 G2 now that has been good.

I just wish Red Sea would address the issue. Seems like ignoring it and banning people from a support group is extremely juvenile.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wish Red Sea would address the issue. Seems like ignoring it and banning people from a support group is extremely juvenile.
I don't think this is going to happen just based on several of the comments and observations above. I think they may have finally fixed all the issues with the G2/G2+, and a lot of G1 v3s had numerous fixes (depending on the model).

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not every reader is subscribed to each break thread

So when a new break happens I want them loaded in all the break threads, how else can readers be warned

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not every reader is subscribed to each break thread

So when a new break happens I want them loaded in all the break threads, how else can readers be warned
You're doing a great job of collecting everything here, so kudos! (hopefully I won't have to contribute more content with my own Red Sea tank in the coming years...)

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imagine if we were forced to stop reporting them and collating these breaks

the blog salespersons aren't reporting them

LFS's who sell red sea certainly aren't mentioning it

our collection is the sole account for what red sea is doing (not preemptively reaching out to any purchaser they've logged for this bad run/lot, and preemptively replacing them before a break, before insurance has to be called and deducted, this is a bunch of reactive stuff we're collecting because nobody will warn these buyers)

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea

this is yours too: new yesterday

your buyers will read this radio silence going on as questionable do you see the final statement about what this is doing to your buyer base, it’s eroding trust is what your silence is doing.

See at the bottom Im trying to ask reefbuilders to at least give a comment? It’s like pulling teeth with you all
26480741-6DBC-400A-B8D3-9B1C16DE8892.png

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back