Tank seam failure....

JMG718

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

My red sea 425xl seam started to fail. I posted on the Facebook forum for help and my post was immediately locked.

For the time being I moved all of the live stock to a smaller tank for holding.

Anyone been through this scenario before? I asked for help at a local store and the prices we discussed were in line with buying a new system because my tank is out of warranty.

Im considering the following:

1) find a used 425 xl and drop in place and hope the same thing doesn't happen
2) order new system from another manufacturer and potentially wait weeks while my fish and coral are in a smaller 65 gallon system.
3)reseal tank, possibly have a pro do it if there is anyone on long island.
4) order a drilled custom tank with stronger seams that fits my existing red sea stand.

Any suggestions really appreciated. This holiday weekend turned into a scramble but all things considered avoided a nightmare scenario as the tank is on the second floor.

Thanks.

Attached a picture of where the separation occurred.

20220903_151158.jpg

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

My red sea 425xl seam started to fail. I posted on the Facebook forum for help and my post was immediately locked.

Anyone been through this scenario before? I asked for help at a local store and the prices we discussed were in line with buying a new system because my tank is out of warranty.

2) order new system from another manufacturer and potentially wait weeks while my fish and coral are in a smaller 65 gallon system.
4) order a drilled custom tank with stronger seams that fits my existing red sea stand.

Any suggestions really appreciated. This holiday weekend turned into a scramble but all things considered avoided a nightmare scenario as the tank is on the second floor.

Thanks.

20220903_151158.jpg

I recommend you still contact Red Sea directly. They are sometimes willing to work with customers with seam failure even out of warranty.

The newer models are reinforced.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooof! If you re seal it I would probably consider eurobracing the inside bottom and maybe top just for peace of mind.

I agree you should contact them directly.

CoralCandyAqua

The Candy Man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Thanks.

20220903_151158.jpg
I would go with option #4 it will be the best option for long term durability and also thats a fairly easy size tank to find

vsolovyev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello,

Thanks.

20220903_151158.jpg
If you re-seal your only prolonging the inevitable, speaking from experience involving a 125 gallon tank and a night mare scenario.

OP
OP
J

JMG718

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I have provided necessary info to red sea including serial number. Awaiting response as I am sure they are off for holiday weekend.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd never get another Red Sea if that happened.

Sadly, Red Sea tanks are known to fail like this.

Get a custom tank that fits the stand if that's the easiest route. Glasscages gets my vote for this

OP
OP
J

JMG718

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About the same as mine. I really need to stop reading these.
I would check seams frequently. The picture grew from 1 inch from when I initially spotted to 5.5 inches in about a day. The front left side at bottom of the tank. I have seen videos and it seems to be the same point of failure as others.

stevolough

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would check seams frequently. The picture grew from 1 inch from when I initially spotted to 5.5 inches in about a day. The front left side at bottom of the tank. I have seen videos and it seems to be the same point of failure as others.
I’m ok with the seams I can see. The back is the one I worry about.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Basically any Red Sea in the last 5-7 years is an accident waiting to happen IMO.

Not trying to scare anybody or spread fear but when you see dozens and dozens of them fail year in and year out, you start to see a pattern.

Red Sea claims it was a stand "issue" but even the retrofit stands are having tanks fail on them. It's clearly the construction, design, and materials that are failing here

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get very sad reading threads like these.
I personally have only seen 2 leaking Red Sea tanks.
Both tanks I saw had no issues with the stand or the glass itself.
The silicone looked to be in perfect condition. It just was loose from the glass panel.
I would say both the glass and the silicone itself seemed to be in a very good condition.
And then I can only see 1 reason to the failure. The glass was not cleaned properly before the silicone was applied.
I think this is so stupid as it is very easy to correct. It just makes me sad.
One of the tanks was temporarily sealed with an tension band 4 inches from the top of the tank.
Has held now for several weeks.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back