May we please discuss seam breaks in 2-3 yr tanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The potential good news (though the situation is bad) - is that your insurance should cover the tank, your floors, any other damage Depending on the policy. Which is why I asked my insurance agent to supply me something in writing documenting what my insurance covers in a situation like this. Some policies do not.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My understanding - talking to my LFS - is that the warranty is extended - longer than other tanks available. Unlike @Cell, I do not think this means the demise of RedSea

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The potential good news (though the situation is bad) - is that your insurance should cover the tank, your floors, any other damage Depending on the policy. Which is why I asked my insurance agent to supply me something in writing documenting what my insurance covers in a situation like this. Some policies do not.
Insurance doesn't mean a lot without mentioning the deductible. If $4K of damage occurs, and the deductible is $5K, then insurance means nothing. Then file a claim and try to change companies without getting screwed on rates in the future.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the agenda is that these breaks are from year production 2-3 or 4, that's too short of a lifespan to justify this cost and it's patterned serious and not stopping and predictable and anyone barely outside the warranty period is flatly discounted. I like to report on + analyze patterns in reefing, and this is a bad one. usually we're just working simple cycle stalls to save people from getting tricked into buying 5 bottles of bacteria, or we're working free tank transfer biology to prevent crashes of $20K systems, but this particular trend is just offensive to me, that a company can be this close-ended on a matter of such importance.

reefers investing this much cash expect to get 10, 20 years out of it, not 4.

we found and reported and collated this pattern, red sea didn't release it nor any preventative measures people can do to shore up the tanks before they split, that's unacceptable. A thin tiny vessel not even meant for reefing is more reliable than a four thousand dollar system, justify that any way you like.
It seems like you don't read what others actually say - the G2 tanks are built quite differently than the generation 1 tanks. Additionally, the number of tanks failing is likely not representative of the number of tanks out there. I'm glad that RedSea has added further protections - much like Boeing had to do with some of its planes and which many other companies have had to do when a design flaw was found years later - how about the airbag issue - that was only discovered after years of accidents?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Insurance doesn't mean a lot without mentioning the deductible. If $4K of damage occurs, and the deductible is $5K, then insurance means nothing. Then file a claim and try to change companies without getting screwed on rates in the future.
Many insurance companies don't allow that high a deductible (or the mortgage company will not). Either way - the price of repairing floors, drywall, etc etc etc - to me means I want a policy that covers problems with my hundreds of gallons of water in aquaria in my house. So it was a suggestion.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Secondary pattern: easy to tell who owns red sea tanks in this thread even if not mentioned up front

It's the manifestation of deep internal worry, anger about this thread, but i wish it wasn't that way. I wish owning red sea didn't equate to worry + defense mode

I would rather be doing cycle and tank transfer pattern work. My friends need a warning about this new trend.

I don't think all red sea owners will get a split, just enough to keep this thread going=~2%
You have no way to say the risk is 1% 2% or 10%. That said - IMHO - even 1% (which is the failure rate the aquarium maintenance company gave me is too much). However, they also say that it's about the same for every brand they sell. I mean - go ahead - set up a poll for owners of RS tanks, and whether they have split or not. It's not going to be a perfect sample. I just looked at my build thread. My first post was from 2016 - with my RS Reefer 525XL. There is also another large thread with multiple posters titled something like: Show off your RedSea Reefer. it has hundreds of pages. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/show-off-and-discuss-your-red-sea-reefer-series.219309/

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did these two already get included here?

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure but thank you for posting. Any sincere attempts to log any pattern associated with these tanks is appropriate here

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m am completely sure that anyone with a pre G2 tank needs to consider a preemptive tank life transfer into another system unless they want to play against risky odds logged here. We have a large tank transfer thread where we can can effect safe tank transfers losing no fish or corals, using skip cycle biology. Anyone who wants to preemptively move into another tank can post here and we will list the steps that will complete the job

theres simply no room for pro red sea fans on the multiple threads who discourage discussion of these break patterns on file littered across Facebook forums and web forums. We want to stack those instances in places that Red Sea can’t delete and attempt to hide

this in an ongoing/staunch pattern of pre G2 tank failures and it’s time to consider acting ahead of time before the split

its no longer just a matter of logging the breaks happening 2-6 years after the purchase, it’s time to preemptively move out of these systems and drain them empty and make terrariums or flower pots out of them, or herp cages. Something that doesn’t hold water.

Last edited:

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did these two already get included here?

This is why it was recommended by many now to create a Excel, Sheets, or Numbers document to track with a few simple headers. The OP took it upon themselves to create the thread and update but as it stands there is no organization and difficult to know if there are repeats, resolutions, let alone how many have failed that you are keeping track of.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m am completely sure that anyone with a pre G2 tank needs to consider a preemptive tank life transfer into another system unless they want to play against risky odds logged here. We have a large tank transfer thread where can can effect safe tank transfers losing no fish or corals, using skip cycle biology. Anyone who wants to preemptively move into another tank can post here and we will list the steps that will complete the job

theres simply no room for trolls here who discourage discussion of these break patterns: on file littered across Facebook forums and web forums is a staunch pattern of pre G2 tank failures and it’s time to consider acting, its no longer just a matter of logging the breaks happening 2-6 years after the purchase, it’s time to preemptively move out of these systems and drain them empty and make terrariums or flower pots out of them, or herp cages. Something that doesn’t hold water.

Red Sea glass makes excellent shelves for your garage.

20230709_084956.jpg

The Coral Doctor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m am completely sure that anyone with a pre G2 tank needs to consider a preemptive tank life transfer into another system unless they want to play against risky odds logged here. We have a large tank transfer thread where we can can effect safe tank transfers losing no fish or corals, using skip cycle biology. Anyone who wants to preemptively move into another tank can post here and we will list the steps that will complete the job

theres simply no room for pro red sea fans on the multiple threads who discourage discussion of these break patterns on file littered across Facebook forums and web forums. We want to stack those instances in places that Red Sea can’t delete and attempt to hide

this in an ongoing/staunch pattern of pre G2 tank failures and it’s time to consider acting ahead of time before the split

its no longer just a matter of logging the breaks happening 2-6 years after the purchase, it’s time to preemptively move out of these systems and drain them empty and make terrariums or flower pots out of them, or herp cages. Something that doesn’t hold water.
I wish I would have done this. I started hearing about the breaks over a year ago and became concerned. I had a 425 XL (112 gallons) purchased January 2020, installed April 2020 by a well known aquarium store. Last week, on July 11, 2023, I was sitting on my couch when it bursted open dumping out the entire display in minutes. Water spilled from the second floor to the first, and I injured my back trying to act quickly to try and save my livestock and stop the flooding. I posted a comment on the Res Sea instagram page under another person's comment addressing a failure six days before, and of course they deleted both of our comments. I then posted a series of videos on my Instagram @TheCoralDoctor calling them out for their lack of response and deletion of comments. After a collective 115+ shares and 10K views, they finally blocked me and deleted all of the comments my supporters left on their page. This is truly disgusting. A rough 10K investment gone in minutes on top of water remediation costs.

I tried to save all of my fish and coral, but due to the stress everything passed over the week. I am keeping my videos posted, and refuse to be silenced. If we are spending thousands, we deserve a response at the minimum. I strongly encourage anyone with any version of RS to switch it out while you still can. Yes my tank was level & yes I avoided using anything sharp around the silicone. I even had two professionals assess it to give me peace of mind, yet, the silicone failure happened suddenly with no signs of wear. I loved my aquarium, I inspected and cared for it daily. RS needs to be accountable for these failures. I understand tanks may not last forever, but we deserve more than 3 years.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for posting I'm just so sorry, red sea is just terrible, terrible. they have no way to accurately manage nor prevent nor deal with the # of breaks happened and about to happen

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what I think is terrible is that they aren't releasing anything preemptive to help thousands of customers they know purchased from this lot/set of production lots

just silence, deletion of inquiries and honest requests for help

I have never been more disappointed with a reefing production company in my life. even API testing which has trick-sold about one million extra bottles of cycling bacteria due to misreading kits/*user error when running the kit* didn't wipe out people's reef tanks and make things wet all over the floor.
Screenshot_20230720-164644_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I would have done this. I started hearing about the breaks over a year ago and became concerned. I had a 425 XL (112 gallons) purchased January 2020, installed April 2020 by a well known aquarium store. Last week, on July 11, 2023, I was sitting on my couch when it bursted open dumping out the entire display in minutes. Water spilled from the second floor to the first, and I injured my back trying to act quickly to try and save my livestock and stop the flooding. I posted a comment on the Res Sea instagram page under another person's comment addressing a failure six days before, and of course they deleted both of our comments. I then posted a series of videos on my Instagram @TheCoralDoctor calling them out for their lack of response and deletion of comments. After a collective 115+ shares and 10K views, they finally blocked me and deleted all of the comments my supporters left on their page. This is truly disgusting. A rough 10K investment gone in minutes on top of water remediation costs.

I tried to save all of my fish and coral, but due to the stress everything passed over the week. I am keeping my videos posted, and refuse to be silenced. If we are spending thousands, we deserve a response at the minimum. I strongly encourage anyone with any version of RS to switch it out while you still can. Yes my tank was level & yes I avoided using anything sharp around the silicone. I even had two professionals assess it to give me peace of mind, yet, the silicone failure happened suddenly with no signs of wear. I loved my aquarium, I inspected and cared for it daily. RS needs to be accountable for these failures. I understand tanks may not last forever, but we deserve more than 3 years.
As beautiful as the RedSea tanks are: Juwel has done this way better. They support the whole setup and have extra fortification build around it (so it’s not rimless). At first I was bummed that I didn’t buy RedSea, but the more I read the more RedSea is something like a hit or miss

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 4 year old 525XL has two areas where the front seam is giving out. One at 6 inches and the other at 8 inches. Oh decisions... :anxious-face-with-sweat:
That definitely sucks. Rubbermaid makes some reasonably prices troughs that work well for interim coral and fish transfer.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 4 year old 525XL has two areas where the front seam is giving out. One at 6 inches and the other at 8 inches. Oh decisions... :anxious-face-with-sweat:
Screenshot_1.png

The classic, undeniable Red Sea leak. It's just indefensible at this point.

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The classic, undeniable Red Sea leak. It's just indefensible at this point.
I spoke yesterday (as of the time of writing) with a man who also owns a redsea. His aquarium (seam) is also starting to let go from the front. For some odd reason he's not alarmed by it, and is actually willing to buy the G2.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back