May we please discuss seam breaks in 2-3 yr tanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why won't Red Sea just respond and explain what they are doing or have done to correct the known problem. After years of failures I would certainly never buy one.
If the is a problem, then they expose themselves by admitting it.
If there is not a problem they gIve one legs by speaking on the matter And denying it.

A no win in their eyes. See above, the part about marketing, RMR and brand recognition.

If there is really a problem the likely course is to quietly correct it and put out fires as they appear, while at the same time hoping the worst blows over.

Jedi Knghit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why won't Red Sea just respond and explain what they are doing or have done to correct the known problem. After years of failures I would certainly never buy one.

They are never going to publicly admit it because it opens them up to liability and they will get sued by every owner that has had a failure for the cost of the tank, cleanup, damage to their home, and lost livestock.

The closest thing to Red Sea admitting the problem and describing their fixes can be found comparing the build details in the manuals between the G2 and pre-G2 tanks.

For an example, see..

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/red-sea-tank-fails-again-any-recommendations.981468/post-11337679

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't post these to rile up hornets
My sole criteria that others can parse and sort for repeat variables are: is it a red sea tank, any make, and is the report immediately new and not scraped from another thread two weeks ago/ new

25 mins recent
Screenshot_20230506-211637_Samsung Internet.jpg

Here's the self- building thread it came from, I'm curious how posters with recent breaks are finding the pertinent threads so fast

Last edited:

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Scratch that. This was a used G1.

Last edited:
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still want it here, used or first owner doesnt matter, because Red Sea hasnt put out any warnings to second owners. They leave them thinking it’s safe for the floors to be a second owner. This is bizarre and shocking and probably eight more new examples are coming this week alone, wow

7BE842FD-5CC0-4322-8CB3-1FE4961E4028.png

Last edited:

pennied

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still want it here, used or first owner doesnt matter, because Red Sea hasnt put out any warnings to second owners. They leave them thinking it’s safe for the floors to be a second owner. This is bizarre and shocking and probably eight more new examples are coming this week alone, wow
Nobody has any idea how old that tank nor how it was handled or anything for that matter. RS doesn’t need to give anything or provide any feedback to second hand owners with an out of warranty tank lol

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disagree, there are enough 1st owners, breaks just a tad outside warranty period to lump all these breaks together as a warning to consumers considering first or second position buying of rs

The sole criteria for inclusion here is must be red sea brand, must be recent mention break here or from another site. Take from the patterns what we will- ignore from the pattern what we will. Log the pattern is the goal

Any reader: start a seam break thread for any other name brand used tanks, let's see which brand has the most mention by eom plus we'll account for number of production units IF we can find any other make with five breaks. We'll have five new rs breaks by end of this week if trending holds

Would any reader reasonably feel safe buying a used tank here? That's why I want all mentions of breaks logged

Last edited:

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody has any idea how old that tank nor how it was handled or anything for that matter.

If every 2nd hand owner of a particular make and model of car notices that the rear shackles fail and the rear axle and leaf springs becomes separated from the frame... does that mean that there is NOT a design problem because the warranty expired and it is a second owner?

Of course not - Jeep CJs for several model years had a serious design defect took over a decade to appear, mostly with second hand owners. They did nothing wrong, except buy an otherwise road worthy vehicle with no warranty.

Don't confuse warranty coverage with design defects, one has nothing to do with the other. I can't say one way or the other if there is a RS design problem. Anecdotally there are a lot of reported failures that follow the same pattern.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nobody has any idea how old that tank nor how it was handled or anything for that matter. RS doesn’t need to give anything or provide any feedback to second hand owners with an out of warranty tank lol

LOL that is like saying anyone who bought a used Pinto after Ford knew of the fire issues shouldn't be warned and it doesn't matter anyway becasue they bought it used.

People wouldn't have to worry about a seam break on a tank if the tank was designed properly to begin with.

New or used is irrelevant when it comes to people being warned about something. And Red Sea should 100% care what is happening with used tanks since it affects their brand just as much, if not more, than new tanks. Of course, the keyword is SHOULD because to date Red Sea has never cared about their tanks and what is going on with them.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually want to see a comparative seam break thread for any other brand name reef. it'll get 1 entrant a year, max, new or 10 years old, is the bet. heck it might be 1 entrant every five years, solid bet. I saw someone here post a waterbox seam leak the other day, first non red sea leak I'd seen that I can recall since my join date, not a joke. I wouldn't consider it a derail to post them right here, so red sea + readers can check for recidivism rates among brands. link away

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any new mention starting last month, of any name brand leaking reef tank, link them here for comparison.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby would go down in flames if used or 2nd hand aquariums couldn't be trusted, which seems to be the case for RS aquariums. So many people start their aquarium journeys with 2nd hand tanks and develop a passion thereafter.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed fully. producers are simply expected to produce non leaking tanks by and large. required to be here/valid/any sort of trust. the guy who bought my 75 gallon oceanic lived down the street from me and never ever ever ever had it leak until I moved away ten years later and couldn't verify that any longer. to this day: I bet it did not leak. there's no way my rent house was level either, I had it safety strapped to the wall

Last edited:

pennied

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still doesn’t matter as RS
If every 2nd hand owner of a particular make and model of car notices that the rear shackles fail and the rear axle and leaf springs becomes separated from the frame... does that mean that there is NOT a design problem because the warranty expired and it is a second owner?

Of course not - Jeep CJs for several model years had a serious design defect took over a decade to appear, mostly with second hand owners. They did nothing wrong, except buy an otherwise road worthy vehicle with no warranty.

Don't confuse warranty coverage with design defects, one has nothing to do with the other. I can't say one way or the other if there is a RS design problem. Anecdotally there are a lot of reported failures that follow the same pattern.
not even close to compare the 2. And yes second theirs fourth owners should have done their due diligence. If I buy a car with known issues out of water and it happens to me guess what the dealer says. Tough cookies…

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is an acceptable take. we just want any buyer of red sea to know that condition, the tough cookies condition. *agreed any producer may have that take: which producer is getting so many breaks lately though, we want the buyers to know.

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still doesn’t matter as RS

not even close to compare the 2. And yes second theirs fourth owners should have done their due diligence. If I buy a car with known issues out of water and it happens to me guess what the dealer says. Tough cookies…
How could one do their due dilegence if the issue isn’t discussed or acknowledged? And when others besides RS try to step in and ask questions (not even warn, simply ask questions) they are met with adversity?

This whole thread baffles me. There are easily enough leaking/defective tanks on this forum alone to start asking questions. The ONLY people with any business defending RS products is RS. Some people may not have any personal issues with RS but to try and discredit the numerous people that do is condescending. Let the chips fall where they may but a thread tracking the disturbing number of cases is certainly justifiable at this point.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since we're also comparing second hand RS aquariums to second hand automobiles, there is an organization called the NTSB, Or National Transportation Safety Board, as well as a second organization, the NHTSA or the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Both of them monitor incidents and notify of recalls or warnings related to vehicles.

Red Sea has issued what amounts to a voluntary TSB, or technical service bulletin, but does not notify it's affected customers in the way an Auto Manufacturer would.

You want to think of it like a car? Cool. Imagine a technical service bulletin that reads:

Affected Models, V6 and V8 Dodge Challengers
Affected Years, all

Front engine crossmember may become randomly detached during normal use, dislodging engine at highway speed, resulting in catastrophic failure and loss of life or limb.

Resolution : Attach crossmember with two extra bolts. Engine may still become dislodged at highway speed, resulting in loss of life or limb, just at a lesser rate than prior to TSB implementation.

Sorry, that qualifies as 'Unsafe At Any Speed'.

Kinda like the Pinto.

Last edited by a moderator:

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another one just for you Brandon. Although I wish we’d be asking questions and compiling data

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was about to post that agreed. he's very responsive, ask him there please so I can see what kind of q and a will help track/verify patterns

I had predicted we'd get five new by end of the week, closing in unfortunately

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 26.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 35.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back