What's up with the recent Red Sea Tank failures? 750XXL ? *UPDATE* Design Flaw CONFIRMED by Red Sea !!!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you are bored Brandon, it would be cool to try and track how many RS seam failures have been reported on R2R over the past year or so. It feels like there is a new one every week or two lately.
If you go to 'advanced search' and search for "tank leak" you will see that this is not an issue limited to Red Sea. I did not want to take the time to do a 'study' - but a brief perusal did not suggest to me that there was an increase in RedSea tanks - as compared to others. Especially when one considers how many Red Sea tanks are sold as compared to some of the other brands.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I represent reef vase interests only but freely engage in reef forum trend pressing

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go to 'advanced search' and search for "tank leak" you will see that this is not an issue limited to Red Sea. I did not want to take the time to do a 'study' - but a brief perusal did not suggest to me that there was an increase in RedSea tanks - as compared to others. Especially when one considers how many Red Sea tanks are sold as compared to some of the other brands.
I mean Red Sea had crap stands to start it all off…
I could see it being all sorts of tanks lately for one reason… being in the construction industry myself I’ve seen all sorts of tapes, glues, adhesives and silicone change since covid happened.. with short supply for things manufactures are changing all sorts of crap now! I’ve had some ge1200 silicone which I use daily for 30 years “normally excellent stuff” start to fail recently and a couple acrylic glues.. manufactures are trying to meet demands and changing their recipe's and it’s becoming worse.. not to mention the ever changing voc laws so they gotta keep modifying the formula to meet that criteria. :rolleyes:

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The frequency seems to be unique to Red Sea to me. Something more than a brief perusal might be in order to really know for sure. I'm not sure I've ever seen sales #s to know how many more RS tanks exist in the wild than others.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The frequency seems to be unique to Red Sea to me. Something more than a brief perusal might be in order to really know for sure. I'm not sure I've ever seen sales #s to know how many more RS tanks exist in the wild than others.
Yeah - I agree - it's impossible to tell.

Russell23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea reefer 350 seam just gave out and only 5 1/2 years old. Customer service didn’t help one bit. They won’t admit they made a faulty product. The glass used in the first models was too thin and only caulked the glass onto the front, not going back and caulking or reinforcing the joints. The thing glass was technically bowing causing a rip in the silicone.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea reefer 350 seam just gave out and only 5 1/2 years old. Customer service didn’t help one bit. They won’t admit they made a faulty product. The glass used in the first models was too thin and only caulked the glass onto the front, not going back and caulking or reinforcing the joints. The thing glass was technically bowing causing a rip in the silicone.

Slowly or very fast? I think pointing the finger on the thickness of the glass is a red herring. There are too many of these tanks that have very thick glass doing the same thing. Sorry for your loss though.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this one flew under the radar, the guy never replied on the generation when I asked.

dyno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
***!

2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I of course have to buy a brand new latest and greatest and reliable G2 of a similar size! I mean common how can I resist?
How could you resist?? Because the one you have failed/is failing, only a matter of time until that lower seam pops.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back