OP
OP
S

schafon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None whatsoever. At 9am it was a beautiful reef tank. At 9:02, it was an empty, dark box with a lot of very unhappy fish and coral.
When you say glass failure you mean that the glass shattered? or the silicone failed like real bad?
Scary either way man, sorry for your lost!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say glass failure you mean that the glass shattered? or the silicone failed like real bad?
Scary either way man, sorry for your lost!
The bottom glass panel cracked out of nowhere on a 180 releasing over a hundred gallons of water, quick, fast, and in a hurry.

I was able to save almost all livestock because I happen to be working from home that day, and had other tanks I could throw things into + a stellar LFS owner who opened one of his tanks up for me immediately, for as long as I needed it.

Moral of the story, have a plan for when things go bad. You may need it no matter where you get your glass box from.

OP
OP
S

schafon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bottom glass panel cracked out of nowhere on a 180 releasing over a hundred gallons of water, quick, fast, and in a hurry.

I was able to save almost all livestock because I happen to be working from home that day, and had other tanks I could throw things into + a stellar LFS owner who opened one of his tanks up for me immediately, for as long as I needed it.

Moral of the story, have a plan for when things go bad. You may need it no matter where you get your glass box from.
For sure.
Did you had self leveling mat? The stand was ok?
Is there a chance that a rock fell down and caused that?

Sorry for all of the questions but it's the scariest part of the hobby and avoiding that could save a lot of people a lot of money.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure.
Did you had self leveling mat? The stand was ok?
Is there a chance that a rock fell down and caused that?

Sorry for all of the questions but it's the scariest part of the hobby and avoiding that could save a lot of people a lot of money.
All was in good order with the tank and stand. The break was under 3" of sand. Zero chance anything touched the glass. After looking at it once removed, studying the break , It looked like the bottom panels were not aligned properly during installation and the trim covered it up.

paulgriffin971

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's at the point now, people considering buying Red Sea tanks should just go out and buy a 100 gallon galvanized horse trough at a feed store. No glass in the sump, no shoddy silicone, no particle board stand, and it'll likely last 30-40 years.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think this plan is a mistake. For multiple reasons - but hope you're successful. I would not try to sell one of the tanks to anyone else - nor would I trust one in my house. Problem #1 is that by removing the front glass - you are going to (at least temporarily) - weaken the other joints - unless you have the tank in some kind of frame.

divcesar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please let us know how did it go. I’m doing almost the same thing as you!

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the method being employed to ensure all old silicone is completely removed from the glass? This is like crucial to ensure you don't repeat the same disaster. The glass has to be immaculately clean.

Celestion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bottom glass crack is always stand integrity , and or foundation not level , we all saw that incredible 30mm floor pane tank (not temperd glass) , massive thick seal (special front back over the floor ) , standard build red sea 180 (3/4) front back sits on floor , why it's not(unbreakable temperd) 3/8 on floor who knows

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They shouldn't be allowed to sell these things until they learn how to build a tank.
I went with overbuilt acrylic because I definitely don't have the time or patience for that.

When someone tells you all excited they bought a red sea tank and you like "Uhhh...congrats..."
I feel bad for them, because it's too late at that point to try and help.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back