Should I be worried about the tank seal?

Nelve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed that the seal seems to be starting to separate from my Red Sea reefer 525. I’ve had it running for 3 years now. Should this be a concern?

C4EF08E6-5C16-4B79-AF05-05A1377F0DF2.jpeg

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
another RS 525. Get buckets, tubs, towels , freshly mixed saltwater ready to go. I would immediately start to unwind that tank while you still have a chance.

this thread was just earlier today. Same tank

OP
OP
N

Nelve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another RS 525. Get buckets, tubs, towels , freshly mixed saltwater ready to go. I would immediately start to unwind that tank while you still have a chance.

this thread was just earlier today. Same tank
Oh no.. that’s terrifying. I might see if a local shop will take my fish. Tempted to get out of the hobby, can’t afford a new tank.

WestMI-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These areas is the most likely to give on Red Sea tanks apparently.

1682285315919.png
Yep, the stand fails first by sagging in the middle. The broken seals we keep seeing are because of uneven weight distribution, usually blowing out the bottom of the front panel.

Empty it ASAP.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just popping in to say tthis is a bummer. Good luck with dealing w/this; hopefully it won't cause you too much trouble.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, doesn't look good. Red Sea is starting to get a bit of a track record... I'd do a transfer as soon as possible. It's hard to say how long until the seal fails, but it's a matter of when, not if. In the case that RS offers a replacement tank, I wouldn't take it. It would be at risk of the same issues.

OP
OP
N

Nelve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some reputable tank companies now? I haven’t kept up the past 2 years on what’s out there. I think I would want to avoid rimless if possible.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some reputable tank companies now? I haven’t kept up the past 2 years on what’s out there. I think I would want to avoid rimless if possible.
Glasscages have a solid reputation and good customability. The more you spend the usually better you get with any company, but they have solid build quality from what I see.
Also,
Innovative Marine, ScAquariums (budget option but decent for price), Planet Aquariums (I think lfs has to order but not sure), Waterbox/Cade (slightly upscale design, electrical access is good, can be expensive). I'm sure I missed some.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could get a Rubbermaid stock trough and move everything over until seal issue resolved or tank replaced. Can hook up the sump and keep everything going. They make them to 300g therefore something should he big enough to hold you over. Lighting it might be a challenge but beats having a blow out

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any old plastic storage containers will do in the interim, maybe ones you put non toxic stuff in before. If you use them, make sure they're clean with no residue. But I'd go stock tank too

*provided these containers are inert like HDPE or something

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 31.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 54 26.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back