Should I be worried about the tank seal?

BigRick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea better do something serious quick before they get hit with a class action lawsuit from either a group of homeowners or insurance companies. You got to think about the damage being done to the home also. The financial hit would probably change a lot of peoples lifestyles... not for the better either. A skimmer pump failing is totally different then a tank failure. I dont want hear its a hobby and its the chance you take. When a company is doing business/ selling a broken product.... that is FRAUD.

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glasscages have a solid reputation and good customability. The more you spend the usually better you get with any company, but they have solid build quality from what I see.
Also,
Innovative Marine, ScAquariums (budget option but decent for price), Planet Aquariums (I think lfs has to order but not sure), Waterbox/Cade (slightly upscale design, electrical access is good, can be expensive). I'm sure I missed some.
Thanks so much for the mention. Here to help if we can all the time.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I just noticed that the seal seems to be starting to separate from my Red Sea reefer 525. I’ve had it running for 3 years now. Should this be a concern?

C4EF08E6-5C16-4B79-AF05-05A1377F0DF2.jpeg
If you get no resolvement and choose to repair yourself, get a hold of me- Ive repaired Numerous tanks and can give you simple tips

OP
OP
N

Nelve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an update for anybody curious. I contacted Red Sea and they are willing to warranty the tank, but it is definitely the stand causing the issue. I can visibly see the stand sagging slightly right under the damaged seal and I can put a piece of paper between the stand/tank. I decided to go ahead and purchase a new tank. I really like Glass Cages work, but I wanted to get a new complete setup ASAP to hopefully prevent losses. I went with an INT 100 gallon complete system through Innovative Marine.

In the mean time I have a 150 gallon Rubbermaid tank coming on Saturday that I'll move everything over to. I'm hoping everything will be fine during this transition. What a nightmare :/.

OscarHaglund

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an update for anybody curious. I contacted Red Sea and they are willing to warranty the tank, but it is definitely the stand causing the issue. I can visibly see the stand sagging slightly right under the damaged seal and I can put a piece of paper between the stand/tank. I decided to go ahead and purchase a new tank. I really like Glass Cages work, but I wanted to get a new complete setup ASAP to hopefully prevent losses. I went with an INT 100 gallon complete system through Innovative Marine.

In the mean time I have a 150 gallon Rubbermaid tank coming on Saturday that I'll move everything over to. I'm hoping everything will be fine during this transition. What a nightmare :/.
If the stand is the problem, why not take the warranty replacement and then put it on a new stand? You could even add a diy eurobrace. Would probably be cheaper than buying new

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

:) welcome to the IM family! I have the same size tank, only set up 4 months but it's been a great tank. I also came from a red sea so I think you will be pleased with its quality

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0

In the interim I would consider finding a temporary solution for the sagging stand. Maybe a strategically placed cinder block and a bottle jack? The intent being to eleviate the uneven pressure that is causing the seam failure.

I just know my luck... I would have a plan in place (as you do) and the seam would give out the day before the the stock tank arrived.

OP
OP
N

Nelve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the interim I would consider finding a temporary solution for the sagging stand. Maybe a strategically placed cinder block and a bottle jack? The intent being to eleviate the uneven pressure that is causing the seam failure.

I just know my luck... I would have a plan in place (as you do) and the seam would give out the day before the the stock tank arrived.
That's a good idea. I will look at getting something set up when I get home from work today. I've been very nervous checking the seal daily lol.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the stand is the problem, why not take the warranty replacement and then put it on a new stand? You could even add a diy eurobrace. Would probably be cheaper than buying new
Because the new ones are failing also… not as much, yet but there’s reports of failures..

OP
OP
N

Nelve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:) welcome to the IM family! I have the same size tank, only set up 4 months but it's been a great tank. I also came from a red sea so I think you will be pleased with its quality
I've read great things about the IM tanks. I'm hoping this one will last longer then 3 years unlike the Red Sea tank haha.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed that the seal seems to be starting to separate from my Red Sea reefer 525. I’ve had it running for 3 years now. Should this be a concern?

C4EF08E6-5C16-4B79-AF05-05A1377F0DF2.jpeg

Yes you should be concerned, mine did not look that bad before mine split weeks ago. I have a Planet Aquarium now but I also put two leak sensors even on that tank. If any water hits the floor it should wake us from a dead sleep. If I would have had leak sensors behind the Red Sea I would had been alerted an hour or two before I walked in that water. Even a few hours can be a big deal since I was able to get to a pet store right before they closed. Now I keep a 75 gallon tank in the attic just in case.

The move between tanks caused enough stress on my fish eventually I got an outbreak of ich, which killed a $400 tang. Between a new tank, equipment and dead fish I am likely out $5k in a month because of owning a Red Sea tank, not to mention what I paid for that Red Sea tank.

Last edited:

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am curious, did they say they would replace the stand? From past threads they do not seem to be honoring the stand, which is just crazy since that is the problem.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or sell it when it comes in and recover some of your loss…. Another person on here said the same thing last year. He didn’t care, just never wanted another tank failure to be passed on to someone else. Me, I’d take what I could get and run

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the blue, my wife was taking the pictures at the time and did not think about changing her white balance. This is where mine failed, you can see a measuring cup collecting the water. Looking back at the picture makes me sad, I had always wanted the back glass completely covered and I had achieved that.

20230317_201041.jpg
20230317_180906.jpg

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So where is this stand sagging occurring that people keep mentioning? A gap between the tank and leveling mat? or underneath? I have a 5ish year old 525 and am terrified now

OP
OP
N

Nelve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the blue, my wife was taking the pictures at the time and did not think about changing her white balance. This is where mine failed, you can see a measuring cup collecting the water. Looking back at the picture makes me sad, I had always wanted the back glass completely covered and I had achieved that.

20230317_201041.jpg
20230317_180906.jpg
Dang that is tragic. It was a beautiful tank setup! Sorry to hear, hopefully your new tank lasts much longer.

OP
OP
N

Nelve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So where is this stand sagging occurring that people keep mentioning? A gap between the tank and leveling mat? or underneath? I have a 5ish year old 525 and am terrified now
The gap is between the leveling mat and the tank. Mine is sagging towards the left side on the front if you're facing the tank. Above where the sump area is at. That seems to be the more common spot in the 525's that I've seen where they sag and then the seal fails. I spent hours leveling the tank when I purchased it and it's still perfectly level so I know that's not the issue.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red sea just agreed to send a seam split customer a new tank, see the thread popped up alongside this one

so, contact red sea, and show them that thread in the link for your communication to them

then update us on time to response from rs + quality of response from them, before your issue compounds

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 97 44.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 73 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back