May we please discuss seam breaks in 2-3 yr tanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i dont care if it’s bought used. if both the firsthand and secondhand tanks leak enough to fill 18 pages of straight examples, this is unacceptable.

Last edited:

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People that own 'non-split tanks' - which probably is 99 percent of RedSea tank owners (Yes - thats a guess) should call RedSea and ask them what mitigating things can be done. I know, the company has a vested interest in saying 'there is no problem' - but they also have a vested interest in continuing in business.

One answer to your question, though is to make sure you have the proper bracing installed for your particular model of tank (they were provided for free to all original owners of certain tank models that were registered in their system).
I did. They say there is no problem. I have a 525. Up for six years, looks fine, but it scares me. I believe it’s the biggest they do not provide bracing for….

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you for sure for the updates, can use to start for new trending watches

kynan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok I found G2 issues below:
look for mike fisher posting feb8
and
aand
more redsea seam problems in german forum
The Mike Fisher guy has a G2 that hasn’t been filled and expressing worry given the problems expressed by the guy with the G1. That thread isn’t a G2 failure. I don’t think G2s have been out long enough to start seeing seam splits.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did. They say there is no problem. I have a 525. Up for six years, looks fine, but it scares me. I believe it’s the biggest they do not provide bracing for….
I have a 725xxl - or 7 years. Only a small number of tanks 'broke' after 2-3 years as far as I know. BTW - I guess the estimate was 5% - which to me is unacceptable

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Mike Fisher guy has a G2 that hasn’t been filled and expressing worry given the problems expressed by the guy with the G1. That thread isn’t a G2 failure. I don’t think G2s have been out long enough to start seeing seam splits.
Read the German forum: the reply from OP on Jan 4th. It’s a G2
Also the comments on Mike fisher’s Facebook post have a couple of owners(bought brand new) who said some brand new tanks had minuscule bubbles in silicone and red sea did not take those tanks back and in the subsequent years failure occurred. In one comment by Tengreddevil…. it’s a G1 but the leak is from the side panel of the tank.
For me that’s important because had all the issues I have seen up till now were only G1 and only on the front pane. If that were the case I’m willing to buy a G2 tank and put aluminum L brackets to reinforce and even put a flat solid ply with carbon/nomex sheet to support the entire tank properly.
Plus the German forum discussion is hinting/hearsay that the silicone used is not the best quality. Admittedly this is unverified.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the comments on Mike fisher’s Facebook post have a couple of owners(bought brand new) who said some brand new tanks had minuscule bubbles in silicone and red sea did not take those tanks back and in the subsequent years failure occurred. In one comment by Tengreddevil…. it’s a G1 but the leak is from the side panel of the tank.
For me that’s important because had all the issues I have seen up till now were only G1 and only on the front pane. If that were the case I’m willing to buy a G2 tank and put aluminum L brackets to reinforce and even put a flat solid ply with carbon/nomex sheet to support the entire tank properly.
Plus the German forum discussion is hinting/hearsay that the silicone used is not the best quality. Admittedly this is unverified.
Please confirm claims before spreading misinformation. Please screenshot where you see there was a claim of a G2 failure. This thread is for failures, not “I’m not sure what this is but I’ll post it and say it’s a failure”.

I read through that whole thread, including the Jan 4th post, and didn’t see anything referring to a G2 failure. G2 was mentioned, but for different reasons.

Also, G1s are still being sold as brand new on many retailer sites, including BRS.

This is why we have echo chambers in everywhere (specifically politics) - folks are quick to post something without even know g the validity or the context of what they’re posting, but then make claims of what they assume it’s about.

kynan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll take a look again. While researching were Red Sea corporate is located, there is a page that mentions “ over 100,000 happy reefers” or something like that. Judging by the posted failures, there would have to be 5000 failures WW for that to be a 5 percent failure rate. Knowing people post negatives much more than positives, I haven’t seen anywhere close to 5000 failure complaints. My guess it’s closer to 1 percent, maybe 2, and then you need to factor in intervening variables such as stand quality, levelness, 2nd hand, design, etc. I am no fan of the rimless feature on larger tanks, nor the floating edge feature. Anyone spending a big nut on a large Red Sea tank is foolish to go with a marine plywood stand over aluminum. I’ve had two 300DD failures, and I will say that company was better than Red Sea in terms of a settlement payout, but they were also more legally stringent in their language as to commentary and agreement that the failed tank had to be “destroyed “. They didn’t compensate me for home damage or 20 years of lost livestock. As I said in an earlier post, I had a miracles 2nd hand tank ( actually 3rd I think now) hat developed a slow drip. They have on their website a warranty disclaimer about use of wave makers. My sense is there may also be a wave maker issue complementing a design flaw with RS tanks. I have 4 Reefwave45s on my tank and 2 cranked up MP 40s. Hearing that light buzz from the MP40s and feeling their buzz on the tank makes me wonder about the impacts over years. I had 4 cranked up Tunze 6105s on the 300DDs that failed ( on a overbuilt stand on concrete). Those are just my thoughts. I do make it a habit to inspect my seams with a flashlight at night. Also planning to have a contingency tank in storage if or when something goes haywire. When the first failure happened on the 300dd it was a vertical seam near the top; I had a 150g Rubbermaid bin that I used for a temp solution. The second one was a rear catastrophic failure that took out 99% and drove me from the hobby.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ll take a look again. While researching were Red Sea corporate is located, there is a page that mentions “ over 100,000 happy reefers” or something like that. Judging by the posted failures, there would have to be 5000 failures WW for that to be a 5 percent failure rate. Knowing people post negatives much more than positives, I haven’t seen anywhere close to 5000 failure complaints. My guess it’s closer to 1 percent, maybe 2, and then you need to factor in intervening variables such as stand quality, levelness, 2nd hand, design, etc. I am no fan of the rimless feature on larger tanks, nor the floating edge feature. Anyone spending a big nut on a large Red Sea tank is foolish to go with a marine plywood stand over aluminum. I’ve had two 300DD failures, and I will say that company was better than Red Sea in terms of a settlement payout, but they were also more legally stringent in their language as to commentary and agreement that the failed tank had to be “destroyed “. They didn’t compensate me for home damage or 20 years of lost livestock. As I said in an earlier post, I had a miracles 2nd hand tank ( actually 3rd I think now) hat developed a slow drip. They have on their website a warranty disclaimer about use of wave makers. My sense is there may also be a wave maker issue complementing a design flaw with RS tanks. I have 4 Reefwave45s on my tank and 2 cranked up MP 40s. Hearing that light buzz from the MP40s and feeling their buzz on the tank makes me wonder about the impacts over years. I had 4 cranked up Tunze 6105s on the 300DDs that failed ( on a overbuilt stand on concrete). Those are just my thoughts. I do make it a habit to inspect my seams with a flashlight at night. Also planning to have a contingency tank in storage if or when something goes haywire. When the first failure happened on the 300dd it was a vertical seam near the top; I had a 150g Rubbermaid bin that I used for a temp solution. The second one was a rear catastrophic failure that took out 99% and drove me from the hobby.
the 5 percent I posted was a maximum - did not take into account errors of installation, and any issues with the stand etc. There is no evidence anywhere that I have seen that RedSea has a higher failure rate than other tanks. Many people have posted - but many others have posted - they disagree. FWIW - I agree that the G1 tanks may have had issues in some cases. I have one - with a retrofit (750 XXL) - with no issues after 7 years.

Acroyear61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add another to the list, I'll wait to see what they come back with, just over 2 years old 425 XL reefer, back seem split and water all over my floor while I was on vacation. I've been keeping reef tanks for over 30 years. Always had kept the black braced standard aquarium even bought second hand in some cases and never had a leak or split. This was my first rimless and I think it will be my last.

tank split.jpg

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add another to the list, I'll wait to see what they come back with, just over 2 years old 425 XL reefer, back seem split and water all over my floor while I was on vacation. I've been keeping reef tanks for over 30 years. Always had kept the black braced standard aquarium even bought second hand in some cases and never had a leak or split. This was my first rimless and I think it will be my last.

tank split.jpg
This is what I am refering to. Not all failures with redsea tanks are occuring with the front unsupported panels. It's something to do with the silicon or quality control.

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

tank split.jpg
Gosh, I am so sorry for you.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make me wonder if I should permanently clamp my 525. I guess that could be a solution. Ugh.

Acroyear61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did your stuff make it?
In the luckiest/unluckiest situation ever, we had a hot water heater bust in December (2023) that flooded our basement so I knew I had to move the tank to get new flooring. I ended up selling everything because there would be no way to put everything back together again like I had it (lots of encrusting and large corals see photo) I figured I'd start over once I moved in back into place. I only was keeping water in the tank to not dry out the seals. I basically just had to clean up the water, which wasn't so much since the split was high. So I'm lucky that it happen when it did, right before I got my new floors, or my wife would have killed me. Also Red Sea is sending a G2+ so I'm doing research on those to see if they are having any issues before I set it back up. Otherwise I may be selling it and buying a good old fashion black braced aquarium.
Tank Shot Dec. 2023.jpg

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the luckiest/unluckiest situation ever, we had a hot water heater bust in December (2023) that flooded our basement so I knew I had to move the tank to get new flooring. I ended up selling everything because there would be no way to put everything back together again like I had it (lots of encrusting and large corals see photo) I figured I'd start over once I moved in back into place. I only was keeping water in the tank to not dry out the seals. I basically just had to clean up the water, which wasn't so much since the split was high. So I'm lucky that it happen when it did, right before I got my new floors, or my wife would have killed me. Also Red Sea is sending a G2+ so I'm doing research on those to see if they are having any issues before I set it back up. Otherwise I may be selling it and buying a good old fashion black braced aquarium.
Tank Shot Dec. 2023.jpg
This is a lucky break! Talk about timing!

As for the G2, it's still early (line is only about 2 years old now), but they've fixed all the issues it seems from the G1 (though they won't admit they were issues at all, just "upgrades" as a successor). We'll see in the next coming years, but I haven't seen any posts anywhere of even air pockets in the seams yet.

If anything, maybe take the G2 and sell it locally, use those funds to get the new IM EXT tanks? Those look to be built like a tank, but I've heard murmurs that financially they might be hurting. If I were starting a tank today and not go custom, it would definitely be the new IM EXT tanks as they're priced very well and built beautifully.

billfishuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad but not glad to see that it wasn’t just me that’s had an issue. My Red Sea 425 xl front right had seal gave way yesterday. It’s been a living nightmare to be honest. I’ve been an avid Red Sea buyer but honestly I won’t be getting another of their products. And I know this may sound silly but this has completely put me off the hobby. When or if I get a new tank I think I would only be happy with a framed/reinforced tank. Shame really as I truly love the hobby but just can’t go through this again and the worry that it might happen again. Just luckily enough I had my first tank Red Sea max nano still to save my fish.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad but not glad to see that it wasn’t just me that’s had an issue. My Red Sea 425 xl front right had seal gave way yesterday. It’s been a living nightmare to be honest. I’ve been an avid Red Sea buyer but honestly I won’t be getting another of their products. And I know this may sound silly but this has completely put me off the hobby. When or if I get a new tank I think I would only be happy with a framed/reinforced tank. Shame really as I truly love the hobby but just can’t go through this again and the worry that it might happen again. Just luckily enough I had my first tank Red Sea max nano still to save my fish.
Dang. How long was it up?

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I got this in chat

1713369210654.png

I was thinking how that ad landing in people's boxes from this thread might sting uniquely. That is one downside to nonspecific marketing/automated sendouts for sure, this ad is not matched to a large subset of posters in this thread.

I was also thinking: what level of beta testing did this iteration of tank get before release; are winners at the start of that beta testing or at the end of it etc

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 108 73.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back