Redsea tanks leaking

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes acrylics advantage is it’s stronger and can be buffed out . but how do you get the scratches in the first place?just be careful. Most my tanks are 20plus years old and I am careful when cleaning

Reefer911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This new ultra clear glass we're using now is relatively easy to scratch as well. Difference is yes, you can repair acrylic.
I agree that current glass is easy to scratch. I am very careful with mine and still scratched it.

I will consider acrylic for sure if I ever upgrade from my 47” CADE

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Sorry for your loss is this g2?? Was it bought new?

I made the switch to 3/4” acrylic the day my seam busted you should consider it too put all nightmares to rest

SHAME ON RED SEA

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions , Red Sea said not covered under wannaty
Yep thats why most people hate them… they dont back products. And this is a fault in their design. Get it empty and look for another tank is really your option. :( seen a lot of these posts

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to log this in our collection thread plus humblefishs site too so we keep the pressure on red sea
I knew you were going to pop up! Im rooting for you to get their attention. Ill let ya know when mine goes. My RS max 260 I mean. Expecting it any day now, it just crossed the year mark in November.

MrPike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly, I dont even have leaking seams or any imminent disasters lurking in the back of my head because I know it's not gonna happen. Acrylic is the way.
Acrylic tanks pop seems just as frequently. Had a customer with a 300 gallon acrylic tank pop a seem, water went into then hvac vent below the tank, travelled through all the hvac until it got to his furnace and killed it too…

Acrylic is absolutely terrible, not sure how anyone can recommend it for anything other then a zoo enclosure where there is no other option, or a freshwater tank.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
really Show us some proof. It’s 10 times stronger than glass And Half the weight. Also acrylic is actually clear and 3/4 inch glass actually absorbs 11% of visible light. Making up you own facts? What’s better about glass.?
ps Acrylite makes optical abrasion resistant sheets which are harder to scratch than glass If that’s your hang up

Last edited:

~MD~Reefs~

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 525XL G1s seam starting separating not too long ago. I fortunately had time to drain it and move all the live stock into a stock tank. I’d recommend you do the same. Red Sea only offered me a $900 credit towards the same size or larger tank. I told them to f*** off

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
really Show us some proof. It’s 10 times stronger than glass And Hal the weight. Making up you own facts?
Yeah, I'm not buying into that. Literally every tank I've ever had after the glass one that blew on me has been acrylic and I have never had any issue whatsoever. If you properly build the tank with the correct material thickness, and it's properly welded, it's never going to have a problem It's one piece.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This is way past a field issue and is bound to never cease. I as a past LFS owner and decades in the hobby have never seen such manufacture defects and tank failures like Red Sea. I thought Marineland tanks were bad !!!
Instead of focusing on new ATO and lights (also a failure), they need to improve their tank construction and revisit how they are constructing tanks and focus on Improvement

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'm not buying into that. Literally every tank I've ever had after the glass one that blew on me has been acrylic and I have never had any issue whatsoever. If you properly build the tank with the correct material thickness, and it's properly welded, it's never going to have a problem It's one piece.
He’s lying as the seam in an acrylic tank is chemically bonded and generally stronger than the rest of the tank. I’ve only built a few thousand acrylic tanks what would I know. Ever heard of zero edge.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%

Back