Redsea tanks leaking

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Acrylic tanks pop seems just as frequently. Had a customer with a 300 gallon acrylic tank pop a seem, water went into then hvac vent below the tank, travelled through all the hvac until it got to his furnace and killed it too…

Acrylic is absolutely terrible, not sure how anyone can recommend it for anything other then a zoo enclosure where there is no other option, or a freshwater tank.
lol lies …

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
This is way past a field issue and is bound to never cease. I as a past LFS owner and decades in the hobby have never seen such manufacture defects and tank failures like Red Sea. I thought Marineland tanks were bad !!!
Instead of focusing on new ATO and lights (also a failure), they need to improve their tank construction and revisit how they are constructing tanks and focus on Improvement
I seen they are coming out with ATO and other pieces equipment yet there chief complaint from consumers … has yet to be fixed. The only thing I can see hobbyist doing is spreading the word so that us hobbyist can put a stop to their numbers.

I hear “that’s because so many people buy Red Sea tanks that you’re only getting 1 out of every 100,000 tanks” being reported. I doubt it this Red Sea issue is insane.

MrPike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
really Show us some proof. It’s 10 times stronger than glass And Half the weight. Also acrylic is actually clear and 3/4 inch glass actually absorbs 11% of visible light. Making up you own facts? What’s better about glass.?
ps Acrylite makes optical abrasion resistant sheets which are harder to scratch than glass If that’s your hang up
The strength of acrylic is not the issue, how the two pieces are joined is. Regardless, you manufacture, or have in the past manufactured acrylic aquariums so you are clearly their cheerleader.

Acrylic seems bust, and they bust for the same reason glass ones do, poor manufacturing. Well made tanks on both sides do not break. The difference is that a well made acrylic tank is still an absolutely terrible choice for a reef tank. It’s the harsh and abrasive environment, calcium carbonate based algae growing all over is basically sand paper for your supple plastic tank.

If given a choice between reefing with an acrylic tank, and just not reefing at all, I’d choose not reefing at all. A simple chore like magneting the glass becomes an hour endeavor. And inevitably some acrylic acolytes are going to chime in that you need to wipe down your tank from the inside every other day with microfiber and it’s no big deal..have fun with that.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The strength of acrylic is not the issue, how the two pieces are joined is. Regardless, you manufacture, or have in the past manufactured acrylic aquariums so you are clearly their cheerleader.

Acrylic seems bust, and they bust for the same reason glass ones do, poor manufacturing. Well made tanks on both sides do not break. The difference is that a well made acrylic tank is still an absolutely terrible choice for a reef tank. It’s the harsh and abrasive environment, calcium carbonate based algae growing all over is basically sand paper for your supple plastic tank.

If given a choice between reefing with an acrylic tank, and just not reefing at all, I’d choose not reefing at all. A simple chore like magneting the glass becomes an hour endeavor. And inevitably some acrylic acolytes are going to chime in that you need to wipe down your tank from the inside every other day with microfiber and it’s no big deal..have fun with that.

You can always tell the people who have never actually Owned acrylic.

KHH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tank seal is leaking. Anyone else having this issue ?

20240125_141919.jpg 20240125_141927.jpg
Which model is that?

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red sea said the issues have been fixed and that was over a year ago and now another tank less than a year old is leaking.

And you always see guys on here recommending Red Sea tanks. Like how? Just because YOU haven't had an issue. Its like a ticking time bomb.

So many other brands have so little issues.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It amazes me how many people spread things they know nothing about. I fabricated hundreds of tanks through almost 25 years with only one failure ever reported to me. It was due to Weldon #4 which we replaced with our own mix and never had a problem again!

You do you as the younger set says! By the way almost every public aquarium world wide uses acrylic. If you are in the know you should know why!

MrPike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It amazes me how many people spread things they know nothing about. I fabricated hundreds of tanks through almost 25 years with only one failure ever reported to me. It was due to Weldon #4 which we replaced with our own mix and never had a problem again!

You do you as the younger set says! By the way almost every public aquarium world wide uses acrylic. If you are in the know you should know why!
Excellent, another acrylic tank fabricator jumping in to defend their inferior product.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent, another acrylic tank fabricator jumping in to defend their inferior product.
You are insufferable sir and I say that in a kind way. Ignorance is bliss as they say!

So all the public aquariums around the world use inferior products to prevent catastrophic loss in their displays...got it!

You must be the engineer technician that put the plugs in Boeing aircraft and builds RedSea tanks on the side hahaha!

Zestfullyclean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really would have to think this is not a new G2 from Redsea if it’s only a year old and not under warranty. Would be nice if the OP would answer that question.

I haven’t come across any threads or posts to my knowledge on any new G2 models having issues.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you use the correct tools an acrylic tank is much better than a glass! It’s not hard to care for either I build acrylic things for a living so I know the ins and outs of acrylic. It’s actually quite easy to care for and is optically clear and will last a life time if built with the proper materials.

MrPike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So all the public aquariums around the world use inferior products to prevent catastrophic loss in their displays...got it!

What is suitable for a public aquarium is not the same as what is practical for a home hobbyist. Unless that home hobbyist employs a full time staff, like a public aquarium, to buff out the scratches made by a single grain of sand under a magnet.

I think you know all of this, you’re just engaging in sophistry to defend your product.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is suitable for a public aquarium is not the same as what is practical for a home hobbyist. Unless that home hobbyist employs a full time staff, like a public aquarium, to buff out the scratches made by a single grain of sand under a magnet.

I think you know all of this, you’re just engaging in sophistry to defend your product.
The OP would not be here if it wasn't for the bestt tank ever made in GLASS that you seam ( :face-with-hand-over-mouth: ) heck bent on defending against acrylic tanks like the ones at Monterey Bay Aquarium, that still haven't leaked?

I'm going back to my Sofa, you continue with your sofastry.

Quintin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, read a long debate on Glass Vs Acrylic but not much info the tank leaking.

Would love some more info on that.
What year / model is the tank?
Is it a G1 or a G2 version?
Was it purchased new or secondhand?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m no redsea defender but OP hasn’t stated that he bought it new.
Used cars have a warranty. I'm no hater or defender, but the company is well aware of the failure issue.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back