mcarroll's 100 Gallon System

bios

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bios I do remember we called it a "rainbow stylo" when it was given to me.....the stylo was a guess based mostly on the polyps, but it did have kind of a multicolor hue. The only variety I see now in its color is the "stems" in some areas turn light metallic green sometimes. This is infrequent though.

Hi Mc DEPENDS on light you give it ,not too much,
I also use actinic blue and royal

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. Meq/L

I've got pictures of what used to happen to this same reef when I would dip below 2.0 new/L back when I had bright metal halide lighting. (>60,000 lux)

These days the reef is carrying slightly more nutrients and the lights are significantly less — around 40,000-50,000 lux. There doesn't seem to be nearly as much sensitivity.

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Coralife Aqualight. No side-channels because I though those were a waste from Day 0. ;)

It's too bad these weren't more popular as it's been a great fixture. Worst complaint is that the cover glasses were a bit tough to slide out for bulb replacements.

This fixture has been decomissioned for a few (several?) years and I'm just now getting around to measuring it. These bulbs are at the 6 month mark where I would have started to see an impact on corals and where I would have changed the bulbs.

As it says on the chart, these measurements were taken in air. Note the even lighting at the bottom of the "tank". I really loved this fixture and these bulbs. :)

Radium Lux Readings Big.jpg

That's a 36" fixture on a 36" tank.

I ran it on my 38 Gallon first, then later my 50 Breeder.

Hoping to post a spectrum photo of each bulb later on as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just going by the numbers, my 27" Razor (the 50 Breeder's current light) is at least somewhat comparable in power at 100%.

Again by the numbers, my DIY fixture (38 Gallon's current light) is more comparable to the middle section between bulbs! (Actually about 15,000 lux.)

I still need to measure the DIY fixture (and Razor) like this....so far I've only got surface measurements for the GU10's.

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bios what light and flow is your tricolor growing in?

(Do you have a light meter to take an actual measurement?)

bios

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Mc
Actually is under a prime.uv21v62ry90b81g0dr0cw117.peak 8hour ramp
10"deep ,mid flow
But because some trouble with tank
Sorryfor pic

P_20161214_105836.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

That a nice hystrix in the top of the photo too, right? :)

I wish I were fluent in every fixture's color settings and power capabilities, but I'm not quite there yet. ;) Do you have any idea what your system peaks at mid-day in terms of lux or PAR at the water level, for example?

(If you don't have a light meter at all – say it isn't so!!! ;) – then by all means necessary you should at least acquire a lux meter from ebay or amazon. The cost (here anyway) is about $10-$15 including delivery. You can search for the model I use, for example, the simple "LX-1010B".)

bios

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Mc
As you say have not a par..
Its more for my philosopy not for the money :-D
Hystrix is 11 years old

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful.

So get one of those lux meters! I'm curious what your tank is getting over those colonies! :)

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Coralife Aqualight. No side-channels because I though those were a waste from Day 0. ;)

It's too bad these weren't more popular as it's been a great fixture. Worst complaint is that the cover glasses were a bit tough to slide out for bulb replacements.

This fixture has been decomissioned for a few (several?) years and I'm just now getting around to measuring it. These bulbs are at the 6 month mark where I would have started to see an impact on corals and where I would have changed the bulbs.

As it says on the chart, these measurements were taken in air. Note the even lighting at the bottom of the "tank". I really loved this fixture and these bulbs. :)

Just going by a published, unofficial converstion factor for Radiums (51), that puts PAR on my sandbed at about 78. I always had great luck growing stony corals in any zone. It was always mostly-Monti's. :)

I will admit that once corals got up into the 20,000+ lux zones they had an unreal amount of irridescence. ;)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wow, I had expected a LOT higher numbers for a 150w. My coralife hit 40k at 12in or more(i forget now).
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/lighting-upgrade-with-a-lux-meter-saltyfilmfolks.248417/'
reflector maybe?

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I noted, these are used-up bulbs (note they wore unevenly....wish I'd been tracking this over time) on a reflector with wi-i-ide spread. To wit....

12,000 lux way up in the middle...and then notice where the (wide) beams cross to give a nice boost mid-tank t0 keep over-all coverage smooth and even.

It's a brilliant fixture and it performed awesomely. :) :) :) I really wish I could afford to fire it up again.

This is also the lighting effect that the Kessil's seem to emulate better than any other. (Wish I could see some in person.)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyfilmfolks (see comments above where I forgot to tag u) was the pendant your Coralife unit?

Your readings in the photo were of the Radium? About how old was your bulb?
yes fairly new is looking at the bulb. I got a 14k phoenix with it that was in rough shape but got similar readings.
my other MH fixture got crazy readings, the hot spot was 60,000 and the fall off was almost nothing. I got both fixtures n bulbs for $40.

OP
OP
mcarroll

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyfilmfolks Also take note of your power usage from the wall. Curious if your 150's are being driven at the same wattage as mine. (You'd think so given the same brand, but who knows.) The 340 watts/90 power factor I got was from both lights running simultaneously.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyfilmfolks Also take note of your power usage from the wall. Curious if your 150's are being driven at the same wattage as mine. (You'd think so given the same brand, but who knows.) The 340 watts/90 power factor I got was from both lights running simultaneously.
yea I mah have a better ballast, it weighs a TON and is like a brick.

Back