McCosker's wrasse bobbing up to surface

Rooles

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 8, 2025
Messages
376
Reaction score
192
Location
Usa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mccoskers wrasse is acting very strange. I am very worried. I thought he was dead because he was just laying motionless and he then swam and started doing this. He is now laying again motionless. What should I do?
 
Unknown neurological wrasse disease is the likely culprit. You can search the threads here and read up on it.
 
Okay will do thank you
Hopefully it’s not, and it’s just stuck on stupid, but most likely UNWD. Affects that type of wrasse a lot, same as Coris wrasse. Some think it’s the collection method, @Jay Hemdal did a lengthy post about it.
 
My mccoskers wrasse is acting very strange. I am very worried. I thought he was dead because he was just laying motionless and he then swam and started doing this. He is now laying again motionless. What should I do?
Opposed to UNWD, it appears fish is thin and moribund. The current seems a little strong within this tank also. With UNWD, fish swims tail down or swims with a bent spine and despite all this, the wrasse will still attempt to feed and display no damage such as crashing into objects.
 
My mccoskers wrasse is acting very strange. I am very worried. I thought he was dead because he was just laying motionless and he then swam and started doing this. He is now laying again motionless. What should I do?

It doesn’t look quite like UNWD - the key symptom with that is that despite the weird swimming. If your fish isn’t trying to feed, then something else is wrong with it.

Here is my post about it:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/unknown-neurological-wrasse-disease-unwd.901856/
 
I found the cause I believe. Ammonia is at 1.5. Everything was okay a few days ago. Poor guy is feel so bad. He isn't going to make it. I tool everyone else out and put them in a fresh batch of saltwater matched in temp and salinity.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new