MDF

  • Thread starter Thread starter Pthornhhi
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Pthornhhi

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 26, 2020
Messages
13
Reaction score
1
What state or country do you live in
South Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a Waterbox 130.4 going on your advertising of no MDF I drilled a hole too mount a controller guess what is MDF board I’m taking a smaller to a lab that can analyze this
 
Micro dimensional fiber, like powder sawdust with glue, very unsuitable for anything wet
They advertise “all plywood no MDF like others”
 
I hope you are wrong. I have a 100.3 coming in next week and I am not expecting the cabinet to have any mdf. Have you contacted them? Are you sure it's not plywood?
 
I hope you are wrong. I have a 100.3 coming in next week and I am not expecting the cabinet to have any mdf. Have you contacted them? Are you sure it's not plywood?
1585298373626.jpeg
1585298373626.jpeg

Try drilling a small hole at the bottom by the feet I’m calling them today
 
I am no expert in woodworking but looking at that pic it does not look like plywood to me either!

what the heck?? Part of the selling point for me was also that the cabinets did not have mdf!!!

Please let us know what they say!
 
I hope you are wrong. I have a 100.3 coming in next week and I am not expecting the cabinet to have any mdf. Have you contacted them? Are you sure it's not plywood?
All of our cabinets are made from layered plywood. Here is a quick shot of a damaged cabinet panel to show the structure.

Hope that helps :)

Cab1.jpeg
That’s the door maybe is but not the carcass
1585332620578.jpeg


1585325582751.jpeg
 
A single drilled hole does not show whether it is MDF or plywood. Either one would form small chips when drilled quickly.

I dunno @TheHarold, I've never seen plywood look like that after being drilled. Either it's MDF or the most garbage plywood I've ever seen...
 
I dunno @TheHarold, I've never seen plywood look like that after being drilled. Either it's MDF or the most garbage plywood I've ever seen...

It depends how fast you drill. Full speed you can absolutely produce powder like that I think- I can post an example photo later.

I could always be wrong, I just dont think the photo is enough to know from. Appears to me that there is a ply breaking
 
It depends how fast you drill. Full speed you can absolutely produce powder like that- can post an example photo later :)

Please do :) I've worked with all types of plywood as well as MDF before and I've never seen anything like that in something that wasn't MDF...

I was always under the impression that Waterboxs stands were made of plywood but the doors were MDF.
 
Doors are not a supporting structure. MDF would be fine in this application.
 
Please do, I've worked with all types of plywood as well as MFF before and I've never seen anything like that in something that wasn't MDF...

I was always under the impression that Waterboxs stands were made of plywood but the doors were MDF.

Looking again closer at the other photo, seems more like MDF. Not how plywood would shear (too rough surface).

7BrApYy.jpg
 
A single drilled hole does not show whether it is MDF or plywood. Either one would form small chips when drilled quickly.
A single drilled hole does not show whether it is MDF or plywood. Either one would form small chips when drilled quickly.
The last pic I used a knife
All of our cabinets are made from layered plywood. Here is a quick shot of a damaged cabinet panel to show the structure.

Hope that helps :)

Cab1.jpeg
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 5 33.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 20.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new