MDF

Richard Newman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep your eyes peeled. What I can say is yes, we do have plans to use Aluminum framing.

Amazing stuff coming in 2020

-Rich

Hi Rich,
That's awesome! I'm in the planning stage for a new tank. I will definitely keep my eyes on Waterbox.

Stay safe and healthy everyone.

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my waterbox in and my cabinet looks like plywood to me so no probs here. I have not drilled any holes into anything but as you can see from the pics the predrilled holes show the layers of plywood.
20200402_205937.jpg
20200404_224325.jpg
20200402_205952.jpg

Thanks Rich for chiming in here and straightening things out. Always appreciate it when a company's CEO is willing to respond directly!

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if the other guys do the same. :rolleyes:

U

User1

View Badges
People are so quick to jump the gun. ;Stop

No, not really. The lad drilled a hole and saw what appeared to be MDF shavings. It is a valid question to ask and Waterbox replied a couple times. That is a win win for both parties and any future buyers. I believe the tank in of itself is very pretty and well built but as noted above I'm not a fan of the Ikea cabinet design plywood or not. Then again I'm biased towards 2 x 4's or steel.

In either case this all comes down to dollars and sense with a little bit of product design and balance. People need to eat and earn a bit extra for retirement or vacation or heck, this hobby. So I'm all for the businesses doing what they can. It is a tough balance I'm sure so thank you WB for chiming in.

Wish you all the best. Tanks sure seem to be a hot item these days.

jkap

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up my Waterbox cabinet and it is definitely laminated ply wood. I was very impressed with the quality. If the melamine just barely chips, it might look like MDF underneath because the outer layer probably gets sanded pretty well to get a good surface. They may prep the surface to make it more porous for whatever bonding or adhesive process they use. This might also make it look like MDF underneath.

I worked in a mold shop all through college. We ran several CNC routers and often used different woods for cheaper, single-use molds. Drilling a hole is not the best way to determine the makeup of the board. Either saw a nice clean cut or bore a clean hole.

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Micro dimensional fiber, like powder sawdust with glue, very unsuitable for anything wet
For those I know in construction (lifetime, residential and commercial), if something is going to get wet and they have the option of ply vs MDF, it's going to be MDF every single time. Better water resistance and doesn't delaminate like ply after getting wet a couple times. MDF just gets fuzzy edges and some swelling until it dries back out. Quality of material matters just as much, though. Low quality MDF might as well be particleboard...

Last edited:

jkap

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, we use plywood that is covered in 1mm of MDF.

Why do we do that? Well because it allows for better surfacing AND water proofing. So in reality while we call it plywood, it's much better than traditional plywood.

A peek into the future, we are considering going a step further and using superwood.

I assure you that there is no conspiracy here :)

-Rich
President - Co Founder

Wood Sample.jpg

THIS is what MDF Sheets looks like which IS NOT used on our cabinets.

asdlfj.jpg
I made my last comment without seeing this reply. This is exactly what I figured. The outside layers need to be porous for a good melamine bond which is why it might look powdery when drilled into. The MDF is not there to provide any structural support at all. It's just there to give a nice consistent finish and prevent splintering. If the outer layer were true plywood, you would be able to see all of the defects in the wood through the melamine and it would be much more prone to cracking.

The hinges on my stand have recessed pockets which makes it easy to see the plywood layers. I also drilled a few various holes and I've done enough wood working throughout my career to recognize that it was plywood. Its also pretty obvious to see the layers in every piece when putting it together if you look in the pockets for all the hardware.

I'm a product development and manufacturing engineer for industrial and agricultural equipment. I spend a lot of time sourcing components or selecting material grades. I also enjoy calling BS on some of the suppliers. It's impossible for me to buy a product without subconsciously analyzing the design and quality. Typically I end up disappointed when I spot all the places that they cut corners. That's why I appreciate when I buy a quality product and I like giving credit where it's due. I was very happy with Waterbox as I was assembling and getting everything set up. My only two complaints were that I thought the leveling feet could have been slightly higher quality and the instructions are pretty laughable. If you've built enough furniture then it is pretty straight forward. Otherwise I could see it being easy to miss some of the steps or forget to install some of the parts. Overall, I'm very happy with the stand though.

On a side note, I could go on all day about the spider web of confusion when using overseas suppliers, so it was funny to read some of the replies on this thread.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So only the outer 1mm will swell when it gets wet... it'll still hold the weight but the finish will look terrible. Sounds like quality to me! LOL

This is why I build my own stands myself. I only use Dupont Corian which lasts a lifetime (or more).

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back