me again

jtucker022187

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to tatuaje08 :)
I didn't misread your post, in fact I agree with you. If I didn't I would not have put in the second clown :)
Most folks on here AND liveaquaria.com (where I do 90+% of my fish research) will disagree with us and say only one clown will fit in a 10 gallon system and a pair is minimum 30, hence the overstock comment. However, I will be prepared to move them when they get bigger if it becomes an issue so all bases are covered :)

That's a responsible reefer, I have to say you really have done your homework, and that's really important to creating a homeostasis for your tank. It is good to see new hobbyist doing it the right way and not rushing

OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy!! I have had a light smattering of brown diatoms for a good couple of days now. I know this is a good thing as it shows that the tank is healthy :) However, I turned my lights on this morning as usual, fed Bert & Ernie as usual, went on about my day and such... come back 6ish hours later and there is a noticeably heavier coat of orangey brown diatoms on everything! I am posting a couple of poor to mid quality pics for ya'all to enjoy :)

Iphone 2013-11-17 016.jpg
Iphone 2013-11-17 042.jpg
Iphone 2013-11-17 044.jpg

Will also put these and a few more in my album on my profile :)

OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in no rush, it might look awful to most people but to me it is just another piece of proof that my tank is healthy :)
I should get on it and get a cuc in there by the end of this week, or at least a partial one

OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup! :) Half at end of this week and half a week or two later! :)
I am wondering if it is actually bad to have bubbles in the display tank or if it is by preference? Sometimes (only about a third of the time) when I unplug my powerhead to feed my fish, when I plug it back in it blows a LOT of little bubbles. My clown fish seem to like the bubbles, they play in them. I have the powerhead aimed at the surface of the water so the bubbles are just hitting the surface and popping anyway, I thought it would be good to create gas exchange :)
I didn't see my snail when I got home and fed Bert(ha) and Ernie today, but I am sure it is just hiding out somewhere. Tested the water too, just for the fun of it. It's all good and I am scheduled for the first pwc (since adding fish) on Wednesday :)

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally have not seen any real problems with a little bit of bubbles. Some people REALLY hate them, though...and sometimes it's hard to tell whether those little things in the water are food particles or bubbles....lol.

OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty :) Thanks for the input on the bubble situation gals and guys :) I don't have much to worry about then, I like them, my fish like them and my corals... wait I have none!!
Bert(ha) & Ernie are doing wonderfully. I just fed them some marine micro pellets before I am off to work. My brown diatoms are in full force and I am still turning my light on cuz I'm such a rebel. I will be looking at a few snails sometime this coming weekend. Astrea, Narc, Marg, Cerith... so many snails, so little time (to decide) lol

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms, as far as I know, aren't synthetic so don't worry about turning the lights on. They feed on silicates, which are common in newer tanks. :)

OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Good to know :)
Ok, I am in trouble.... I think I am already totally addicted to the saltwater scene. I find myself looking on craigslist at used equipment and tanks. All over the internet at prices of live rock, livestock, doing research, etc. Now, today, I have been researching zoanthids, palythoas, mushrooms and leather (all the beginner corals).
I haven't even made a concrete decision about exactly what half of my CuC is going to be at the end of this week, and here I am planning for 4-6 months from now! lol
I find myself wondering, almost proudly, what my rock will look like in that amount of time. I envision a garden of lovely color in a years time. I say again, thanks to all who have followed my little tank thread thus far. I truly appreciate your input and encouragement more than I can say :)

OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jtucker...... thanks for the input but I live in canada and cannot order live things from any other country without a license! LOL
heck, where I am blue hermit crabs are twice that price and snails are anywhere from 1.95ea up to 5.98ea :(
Dalmatia..... nope, nobody told me to get a conch (yet) but if I will most certainly look into it now that you've mentioned it :)
Eienna..... seems so! Lotsa time to dwell on that there road yet, my tank is like baby stages not even crawling yet!!

OP
OP
Tmar

Tmar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well AppleJack, welcome to the thread and my little nano journey :)
I plan to master this little 10 and maybe even put a few beginner softies in it such as zoas and mushrooms!! Or not.... I have a lot of time to decide what i want to do. Meanwhile, I am in the process of a 90g build w/50g sump. It is proving to be pretty slow going but it will get there.
This morning, my tank reads
sg: 1.022.5
temp: 78F
ammonia 0
nitrites 0
nitrates 5
Bert(ha) & Ernie are doing very well, little sleepy so I will wait until just before I leave for work before feeding them! :) Happy hump day all!!

Back